• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjusting Monsters for Faster Combat

Jack99

Adventurer
I still do not understand the need for "elaborate" setups like this one of the OP.

If you want to make more swingy (quicker), simply decrease hit points by X percent while increase damage by X percent.

But maybe someone can tell me why that won't work..

keterys

First Post
A lot of people don't deal well with percentages, to be honest. A quick and dirty method for mass use might be something like '-2 defenses, +2 attack', but as noted that also makes status effects far more common.

Jack99

Adventurer
A lot of people don't deal well with percentages, to be honest. A quick and dirty method for mass use might be something like '-2 defenses, +2 attack', but as noted that also makes status effects far more common.

Ah. If there isn't a math issue with my way, I think I will stick to that, if I should ever need to adjust my monsters.

Markn

First Post
Our group tried adding half level damage (to both sides) last session and we found this sped things up. For example if the PC was 6th level, they added +3 to any damage roll. If the monster was an 8th level monster, it added +4 to the damage roll. It seems to preserve the balance of 4e and so far has worked good. We plan on using it a bit more just to confirm our feeling from last session but I am pretty sure it will quickly become a part of 4e for us.

Markn

First Post
frankthedm,

Its not really feasible to cut HP in half and double the monsters. Monsters can be bloodied after one hit in some cases and this wreaks havoc with some of the designs of monsters. Some powers only work when bloodied, others work when not bloodied. Additionally, some monster roles require othr monster roles to exist for them to be functional. If you can quickly eliminate one role, the other monster becomes far less effective and essentially ruins the monster role balance for 4e.

At least this is what we have found in the heroic tier. Maybe its different in the paragon and epic tiers.

Mad Hamish

First Post
is it feasible to cut hp by half and double the number of monsters?

Not really IMO.
Firstly you'll be dealing twice the damage to the party initially and having it more spread around because the defender can't control as high a proportion of the enemy.
You need to do the same amount of damage through the fight to take all the enemy down.
Secondly you're massively increasing the need for area attacks and reducing the effect of strikers in relative terms.

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
is it feasible to cut hp by half and double the number of monsters?
If you are going to do that, then I would recommend using more minions instead. They have their damaged toned down so as not to overwhelm the party with additional flank attacks and damage. Otherwise you are putting too many opponents in the mix and everyone is going to have a couple of special friends flanking them and pounding them into the ground.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads