• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=OAs]Assume that unless I state otherwise in my updates, that any opponent wielding a melee weapon will take every availalbe OA. I will put which ones are wielding melee weapons and what their OAs are.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
The opponents are now divided into three groups, one facing Abigail, one facing Dante & Virgil, and one in the center facing Eraden.

Two human archers and a goblin face south, with Virgil right up amongst them. One of the archers skitters backwards, giving Virgil an opportunity to strike. The big lizard paws at him, but doesn't connect. The archer, now in a safe position, shoots his bow at Virgil and likewise misses. His companion steps back a little more safely, and shoots, also missing.

The goblin also steps backwards, but aims his bow at Dante. His arrow flies over Dante's head.

Of the group on Abigail, the archer adjacent to her moves first, stepping backward and loosing an arrow, which fails to reach her. Then the goblin moves, putting away his bow and drawing a short sword. He then steps sideways so that Abigail is flanked by her and the human mercenary swordsman, who takes a swing at her which she dodges easily.

This leaves the middle group. The leader barks an order. "Hilsa, keep him busy. We'll get the gnome."
The female warrior slings her crossbow over her shoulder and draws her sword in one tidy move, thrusting the sword forward. It's a good hit, but the extra bit of protection that Talks-to-the-Moon's magic provides deflects it at the last moment.
The spellcasting woman steps backwards. Whatever her original intent, she seems to have no choice but to attack Eraden. Again she gestures, and again a whirling cloud of shards of force coalesce, this time around Eraden. His armor is of no use, as the magical shards find its chinks.
The leader follows through on his original intent, and looses his crossbow at Alastair, then decides that the armored paladin before him is a greater threat, stows his crossbow, and draws his longsword.

One lone archer is not part of any of these groups. Deciding to keep doing what he's been doing, he shoots another arrow at Talks-to-the-Moon, which doesn't even come close.

[sblock=terrain features]
* The big pit filled with fish (the light green area labeled "fish" is challenging terrain. Make a DC 15 Acrobatics

or Athletics roll or fall prone whenever you take a move action which moves you on to a square of terrain (you don't have to roll for each square, only once per round).

* The conveniently labeled catwalks along the side are a different sort of challenging terrain. If you have a hand free, you can move normally along them. Otherwise it's a DC 20 Acrobatics roll to avoid falling flat on the fish.

* The big boxes provide cover. They provide superior cover (& concealment) for people crouching or prone behind them, or for small characters. They can be moved (DC 15 Athletics roll to push, DC 20 to pull or slide). Also, for an extra square of movement, you can jump up on top of one.

* The curtains provide superior cover. It's one extra square of movement to go through.
[/sblock][sblock=actions]
Archer #3 - Move: to G19, OA from Virgil:(1d20+7=17)--miss, Standard: shoots at Virgil:(1d20+8=14)--miss
Archer #4 - Move: shift to H20, Standard: shoots at Virgil:(1d20+8=13)--miss
Goblin #1 - Move: shift to H21, Standard: shoots at Dante:(1d20+6=10)--miss
Archer #1 - Move: shift to D20, Standard: shoots at Abigail:(1d20+8=12)--miss
Goblin #2 - Move: shift to C19, Minor: stow crossbow, Standard->Minor: draw shortsword
Mercenary #1 - Standard: attack Abigail with longsword:(1d20+10=14)--miss
Mercenary #2 - Move->Minor: stow crossbow, Minor: Draw longsword, Standard: Press The Advantage vs. Eraden:
(1d20+10=21)--miss
Mercenary Wizard - Move: Shift to H19, Standard: Cloud of Daggers in G17 vs. Eraden: (1d20+7=25) Damage:(1d6+4=7) cloud remains TENT. Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the cloud takes 2 damage.
Mercenary Leader - Standard: Shoot crossbow at Alastair (1d20+6=7)--miss, Minor: stow crossbow, Move->Minor: draw longsword
Archer #2 - Standard: Shoot Talks-to-theMoon:(1d20+8=11)--miss
[/sblock][sblock=status]
Archer 1 - C19 - No Hits Taken Marked (Abigail)
Archer 2 - E20 - No Hits Taken
Archer 3 - I20 - No Hits Taken
Archer 4 - J19 - No Hits Taken
Goblin 1 - J21 - 11 damage Hunter's Quarry (Dante)
Goblin 2 - B19 - No Hits Taken
Mercenary 1 - A17 - 17 damage Warlock's Curse (Alastair)
Mercenary 2 - G18 - 13 damage
Mercenary Leader - F19 - No Hits Taken AP:1
Mercenary Wizard - H18 - No Hits Taken Warlock's Curse (Alastair), Divine Challenge (Eraden)

Abigail - A16 - 19/27 (8/9) AP:0 +1 AC from resistive infusion
Alastair - G9 - 17/24 (7/7) AP:0 Invisible TENT
Dante - K18 - 19/22 (6/6) AP:1
Virgil - K19 - 19/22 (2/2) AP:1
Eraden - G16 - 17/28 (10/11) AP:1 +1 AC from resistive infusion
Talks-to-the-Moon - A10 - 20/29 (9/9) AP:1
[/sblock][sblock=map]
FishRoomCombat4.gif
[/sblock][sblock=enemies]
Mercenaries: AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
* OA: Longsword +10 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage
Archers: AC 13, Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 13
* Archer's Dodge: +4 AC vs. Opportunity Attacks
* None of the archers is currently wielding a melee weapon, therefore none will take Opportunity Attacks.
Goblins: AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 12
* OA: Shortsword +6 vs. AC, 1d6+2 damage
* Goblin #1 is still wielding his bow, and will not take Opportunity Attacks
Mercenary Wizard: AC 17, Fort 14, Ref 16, Will 16
* OA: Quarterstaff: +5 vs. AC, 1d8 Damage
Mercenary Leader: AC 18, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 14
* OA: Longsword: +7 vs. AC, 1d8+6 damage, and the target is marked TENT
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante and Virgil press in, Virgil keeping the archer and wizard at bay as Dante's kama-chain flashes out again and again, tearing into the goblin (and maybe the wizard).

[sblock=Actions]Move action: Virgil shifts to I-19, Dante moves to I-20.

Standard action: Dante uses Twin Strike on G1: Attack 1 d20 + 7 = 23, hit, 2d4+1d6 = 8 damage. If that kills it, then attack 2 is on MW, otherwise, it's also on G1. Attack 2: d20 + 7 = 19, hit for 2d4 = 5 damage.

Minor Action: Off-hand Strike. If G1 is still alive, it's aimed at him, otherwise, it's aimed at MW. Attack: d20 + 7 = 21, which should be enough to hit either of them for 2d4+4 = 8 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=OAs]Remember that creatures get 1 OA per enemy per round not just 1 OA per round.[/sblock]

[sblock=Note on Virgil's OAs]Virgil only gets one OA per round, as Dante's Immediate Reaction... if I remember what I skimmed when I looked through Martial Powers at Hastings a couple weeks ago. Anyone here own Martial Powers to verify?[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]
Dante, Male Human Ranger 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 16, Fort:16, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +3, Action Points: 1
Powers: Twin Strike, Predator Strike, Careful Attack, Off-Hand Strike, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 2d4+4 damage.
Note: Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC: 16, Fort:13, Reflex:13, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:2/2

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Last edited:

taran

First Post
"Ha!" Talks-to-the-Moon leaps forward, dagger raised, but her enemy is far too quick.[sblock=Actions]Move: to A16.
Standard: Scouring Weapon, Miss[/sblock] [sblock=Mini Stats]Talks-to-the-Moon - Githyanki Artificer 1
Initiative +3 Passive perception 15 Passive Insight 10
AC 17 For 14 Ref 15 Will 12
HP 23/29 Bloodied 14 Surge value 7 Surges/day 9/9
Speed 6 squares Languages Common, Deep Speech
AP 1 Magic Items Uses 1
Dagger +3 (1d4)
Dagger +4 (1d4)
Powers: Magic Weapon, Static Shock
Scouring Weapon
Telekinetic Leap, Second Wind
Arcane Empowerment 1 of 1, Icebound Sigil
Healing Infusion 0 of 2[/sblock]

auberon

First Post
Alastair emerges from the fish, and once more fires a bolt of dark eldritch energy at the cursed mercenary.

And once again, it arcs past his target. Wondering what ruinous spirits he must have crossed, Alastair deals with his frustration by cursing another opponent.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Stand, Standard: Eldritch Bolt at Mercenary 1, 1d20+4=7 1d10+1d6+4=11 Another Miss! Minor: Curse Mercenary 2[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alastair Feyd - Male Gnome Warlock 1
Initiative: +3, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
AC: 15, For: 11, Ref: 14, Will: 15
HP: 17/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge value: 6, Surges/day: 7/7
Speed: 5 squares, Languages: Common, Elven
AP: 0, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Misty Step,
Assassin's Shroud, Witchfire, Fade Away,
Ghost Sound, Prophesy of Zhudun[/sblock]

Eternal54

First Post
Eraden feels a small sharp pain as the wizard's spell still lingers in the air. He swiftly closes in on the mage, making sure he is the most pressing threat the woman has to face. "Better me than them" he wispers to himself.
Facing the mercenary infront of him Eraden shouts "Now the battle truly begins!" letting loose an enfeebling stike that stikes true.

[sblock=actions]
Take 2 dmg at the start of my turn. Move=shift to H18, standard=Enfeebling strike to M2 Attack=Nat 20-Crits! for 8+5=13 damage. Had rolled damage at same time but crit nulls that roll, not that it wasnt a great damage roll. The target takes -2 to attack till end of my next turn.

As a side note, all damage i do is non leathal. I dont want to kill a character unless I note otherwise, thanks!
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Eraden-Male Half-Elf Paladin
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 19
AC: 20, For: 12, Ref: 13, Will: 16
HP: 15/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges/Day: 10/11
Speed: 5 Squares, Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin
AP: 1, Second Wind: Unused
Powers: Lay on Hands 1/2, Divine Challange, Bolstering Stike, Enfeebling strike, Channel Divinity: Devine Mettle, Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Shielding Smite, Eyebite, Radiant Delirium
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Abigail slides to the side, flanking the mercenary. With a flick of the wrist, she draws the long dagger at her side and slashes. However, the attack misses, and Abigail is forced to parry. She stabs the dagger into the wall, noting its position so she can retrieve it later, and keeps her blade ready.

[sblock=actions]
Move Action to shift up to A18.
Minor Action to Draw shortsword at Abigail's side.
Standard Action to attack the bastard, and miss (of course). Greenflame Blade w/Combat Advantage and Sneak Attack Damage (1d20+9=12, 3d6+4=18) - on the plus side, don't need to worry about using up the sneak attack damage!
Free action to "drop" the short sword.
Archer is still marked, of course.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Abigail]Female Human Assault Swordmage 1
Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
AC: 19, Fort:14, Reflex:15, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:24/27, Bloodied:13, Surges:8/9 (Value 8)
Special: Surge value drops to 6 if Azuras is "dead"
Initiative +1
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: Not Available
Powers:
Greenflame Blade, Sword Burst, Luring Strike, Aegis of Assault, Flame Cyclone, Sneak Attack, Burning Blade

Opportunity Attacks: +6 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage

Azuras: Dragonling Companion (inactive)
Azuras has all the same defenses as Abigail when active, and has 1 hit point. Azuras is healed on a short rest, and can only be targeted when active - he is immune to attacks whilst passive.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=Note on Virgil's OAs]Virgil only gets one OA per round, as Dante's Immediate Reaction... if I remember what I skimmed when I looked through Martial Powers at Hastings a couple weeks ago. Anyone here own Martial Powers to verify?[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]This is correct. I'll keep this in mind. Should I assume if you're not readying an action that this is okay to use?[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=ooc]This is correct. I'll keep this in mind. Should I assume if you're not readying an action that this is okay to use?[/sblock]

[sblock=Virgil's OAs]Yeah. I'll let you know if I'm wanting to use my reaction for something else.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads