• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
Azuras's belch of flame goes high, over the heads of most of his targets, but scorching the female crossbow wielder significantly.

"Pogy, take her now!" the mercenary leader yells. When the swordsman hesitates, he shouts again "I don't care how much you hate fish! Move up!"

The swordsman moves forward onto the fish, slipping instantly and ending up flat on his back. "Aargh!" he screams at his boss. "I told you!" He manages to scrabble back to his feet, but can't attack.

The female mercenary turns to the leader. "Don't look at me!" she says, stopping at the edge of the fish and choosing instead to fire off a shot at the source of her recent scorching. The bolt goes true, and the dragonling dissipates into flame.

The archers then shoot. The first at Abigail, hitting her; the second at Talks-to-the-Moon, likewise hitting. The third takes a shot at Dante, but misses. The fourth steps back away from the ranger and his lizard-thing, and shoots at him as well, but misses.

"Shad! Snapper! Cross!" the leader yells. The Goblins start to move in opposite directions, passing one another as they move. The first one heads towards the south end of the room, finding a spot beside a crate from which he can shoot at Dante, the second one rushing north and aiming a shot at Abigail. Both arrows go wide.

The spellcaster steps up, speaks an arcane word, and glowing blades of force fly from her fingertips, multiplying in mid-air, and settling in a vortex of stabbing blades around Alastair, wounding him. The gnome responds to this by vanishing from sight.

The mercenary leader finally looses his own crossbow bolt, this one at Eraden. It doesn't even scratch his armor.

[sblock=terrain features]
* The big pit filled with fish (the light green area labeled "fish" is challenging terrain. Make a DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics roll or fall prone whenever you take a move action which moves you on to a square of terrain (you don't have to roll for each square, only once per round).

* The conveniently labeled catwalks along the side are a different sort of challenging terrain. If you have a hand free, you can move normally along them. Otherwise it's a DC 20 Acrobatics roll to avoid falling flat on the fish.

* The big boxes provide cover. They provide superior cover (& concealment) for people crouching or prone behind them, or for small characters. They can be moved (DC 15 Athletics roll to push, DC 20 to pull or slide). Also, for an extra square of movement, you can jump up on top of one.

* The curtains provide superior cover. It's one extra square of movement to go through.
[/sblock][sblock=actions]
Mercenary #1 - Move: to A17, Athletics:(1d20+4=9), Standard->Move: Stand Up
Mercenary #2 - Move: to G18 Standard: Crossbow vs. Azuras:(1d20+9=25), Free: drop crossbow, Minor: draw sword
Archer #1 - Standard: Shoot at Abigail--5 damage
Archer #2 - Standard: Shoot at Talks-to-the-Moon--3 damage
Archer #3 - Standard: Shoot at Dante--miss
Archer #4 - Move: shift to I20, Standard: Shoot at Dante
Rolls: (1d20+8=23, 1d20+8=27, 1d20+8=12, 1d20+8=9)
Goblin #1 - Move: to J21, Standard: Shoot at Dante: Shortbow vs. Dante (1d20+6=12)
Goblin #2 - Move: to B19, Standard: Shoot at Abigail: Shortbow vs. Abigail (1d20+6=10)
Mercenary Wizard - Move: to H18, Standard: Cloud of Daggers in G9 vs. Alastair: (1d20+7=24) Damage (1d6+4=5) cloud remains TENT. Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the cloud takes 2 damage.
Alastair - Fade Away as a reaction.
Mercenary Leader - Standard: crossbow vs. Eraden: (1d20+6=10), Minor: reload crossbow
[/sblock][sblock=status]
Archer 1 - C19 - No Hits Taken
Archer 2 - E20 - No Hits Taken
Archer 3 - I20 - No Hits Taken
Archer 4 - J19 - No Hits Taken
Goblin 1 - J21 - No Hits Taken
Goblin 2 - B19 - No Hits Taken Warlock's Curse (Alastair)
Mercenary 1 - A17 - 17 damage Warlock's Curse (Alastair), Hunter's Quarry (Dante), -4 to attack TE Alastair's NT
Mercenary 2 - G18 - 13 damage
Mercenary Leader - F19 - No Hits Taken AP:1
Mercenary Wizard - H18 - No Hits Taken

Abigail - A16 - 13/27 (6/6) AP:1 +1 AC from resistive infusion
Alastair - G9 - 24/24 (7/7) AP:0 Invisible TENT
Dante - K18 - 19/22 (6/6) AP:1
Virgil - K19 - 19/22 (2/2) AP:1
Eraden - G16 - 24/28 (10/11) AP:1 Prone, +1 AC from resistive infusion
Talks-to-the-Moon - A10 - 23/29 (9/9) AP:1
[/sblock][sblock=map]
FishRoomCombat3.gif
[/sblock][sblock=enemies]
Mercenaries:
AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
Archers:
AC 13, Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 13
Goblins:
AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 12
Mercenary Wizard:
AC 17, Fort 14, Ref 16, Will 16
Mercenary Leader:
AC 18, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 14
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante ducks and dodges arrows as he and Virgil move in unison towards the goblin, Virgil backing the it against the wall as Dante's chain lashes out and slashes it.

[sblock=Actions]Move action: Virgil shifts to J-20, Dante shifts to K-19
Minor action: Hunter's Quarry on G1.
Standard action: Twin Strike. First attack vs G1: d20 + 7 = 26, hit for 2d4(7) + 1d6(4) = 11 total. Second attack vs G1: d20 + 7 = 10, miss.[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 16, Fort:16, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +3, Action Points: 1
Powers: Twin Strike, Predator Strike, Careful Attack, Off-Hand Strike, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 2d4+4 damage.
Note: Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC: 16, Fort:13, Reflex:13, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:2/2

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage.[/sblock]

Last edited:

taran

First Post
Talks-to-the-Moon sidles forward across the catwalk, careful to keep her left hand free for balance. With her right she hurls her runed dagger at one of the goblin archers, but it goes wide; she calls it back with an impatient wave of her hand.[sblock=Actions]Move: to A11
Standard: Magic Weapon at G2, misses.[/sblock] [sblock=Mini Stats]Talks-to-the-Moon - Githyanki Artificer 1
Initiative +3 Passive perception 15 Passive Insight 10
AC 17 For 14 Ref 15 Will 12
HP 23/29 Bloodied 14 Surge value 7 Surges/day 9/9
Speed 6 squares Languages Common, Deep Speech
AP 1 Magic Items Uses 1
Dagger +3 (1d4)
Dagger +4 (1d4)
Powers: Magic Weapon, Static Shock
Scouring Weapon
Telekinetic Leap, Second Wind
Arcane Empowerment 1 of 1, Icebound Sigil
Healing Infusion 0 of 2[/sblock]

auberon

First Post
While invisible, Alastair grits his teeth and glares at the wizard as her magical daggers cut into him.

"You and I will play later," he promises himself. "But one thing at a time," and he turns his focus to the mercenary blocking Abby.

Alastair appears from thin air while firing a bolt of dark, crackling energy at the enemy soldier. To the gnome's chagrin, the bolt flies wide, dissipating harmlessly.

He then ducks back down into the fish.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Curse mercenary wizard, Free: Assassin's Shroud on mercenary 1, Standard: Eldritch bolt at Mercenary 1, 1d20+6=8 Miss!, Move: Go prone.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alastair Feyd - Male Gnome Warlock 1
Initiative: +3, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
AC: 15, For: 11, Ref: 14, Will: 15
HP: 17/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge value: 6, Surges/day: 7/7
Speed: 5 squares, Languages: Common, Elven
AP: 0, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Misty Step,
Assassin's Shroud, Witchfire, Fade Away,
Ghost Sound, Prophesy of Zhudun[/sblock]

[sblock=Ben]I've assumed I've taken the additional 2 damage for starting in the cloud. Also, last round I cursed Goblin 2, which you don't have on your status update.[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Dante ducks and dodges arrows as he and Virgil move in unison towards the goblin, Virgil backing the it against the wall as Dante's chain lashes out and slashes it.

Dante's first hit strikes home, but his second goes wide. The goblin jumps backwards as the second one misses, snarling.
[sblock=actions]Goblin Tactics: shift to I21[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock]Free: Assassin's Shroud on mercenary 1[/sblock]

[sblock=Assassin's Shroud]Auberon, if the mc-granted Assassin's Shroud ability is the same as the normal Assassin's Shroud, you have to declare before you make the attack roll whether you are invoking the shroud(s) on the target, otherwise they do nothing.

The assassin in the game I'm running found it best to always wait until he had 2+ shrouds on a target before invoking them, since then his attack is guaranteed to do damage even if he misses... [/sblock]

auberon

First Post
[sblock=Assassin's Shroud]Auberon, if the mc-granted Assassin's Shroud ability is the same as the normal Assassin's Shroud, you have to declare before you make the attack roll whether you are invoking the shroud(s) on the target, otherwise they do nothing.

The assassin in the game I'm running found it best to always wait until he had 2+ shrouds on a target before invoking them, since then his attack is guaranteed to do damage even if he misses... [/sblock]

[sblock=Shroud stuff]Yeah, I realize that I didn't declare it the first time I used it, but I did declare it on my most recent to-hit roll (see the link). Unfortunately, I can only do it twice per encounter so I was trying to spread them out. I may reconsider that next encounter.[/sblock]

Eternal54

First Post
Eraden crawles forward a few more paces then stands himself up. "You will fight me coward, or face the wrath of the gods." He speaks to the woman dressed in robes.

[sblock=actions]
Move=crawl foward one space, Standard= Stand, minor= divine challange the Merc Wizard.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
OOC: I'm kinda holding back right now, to see what my companions do, before committing Abi to her actions. I kind of want to get into combat advantage.... or maybe I'll just beat this mercenary into submission using my mad skills. ;)

Remove ads