Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=Oops]I forgot about the extra point of movement to get through the curtain. That puts Dante and Virgil at C6 and C7, not B7 and B8. Also forgot that Abigail hadn't moved yet. Hooray for off-tank off-tanking![/sblock]

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
[sblock=Ben]

Forgot about the curtain. But I never touched the box square. My original move was F3, E4, D4, C5, B6, A7, and then A8, A9, A10, A11, A12, A13.

Since the curtain is an extra move, though... guess we're gonna have to run. So, in order -

F3, E4, D5, C5, B6, A7, A8, and then next move is A9, A10, A11, A12, A13, A14, A15, A16. Looks like Abi grants Combat Advantage against those baddies![/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
The male mercenary drops his crossbow, and moves to intercept Abigail as she moves along the catwalk. Drawing his longsword, he waits, ready to strike her once she moves into range.

As he moves, archers pop up from behind the crates, loosing a volley of arrows. Dante, and Virgil, are scratched by them and Talks-to-the-Moon is only saved by the crate she's behind, but Abigail, despite being closer, avoids any damage as the arrow buries itself in the wall two feet away from her.

The curtain parts, and another mailed figure emerges, followed by an unarmored woman chanting in arcane language.

"That one," he shouts, pointing to Abigail The woman fires a bolt of arcane force, at her, but Abigail again remains intact. He himself looses his crossbow bolt at Eraden--a good shot, but the armor, prone position, and Speaker's mystic additions are enough to deflect the bolt.

"Okay, lads," he shouts again. "The one along the side and the one in plate."
Two goblins with shortbows rush out from behind the curtain. Their missiles fly true. One strikes Abigail. The other neatly strikes the gap between Eraden's helmet and his shoulder, digging deep.

Finally, the female crossbow wielder steps out from behind the goblin, and looses another bolt at Talks-to-the-Moon, again wounding her.

[sblock=terrain features]
* The big pit filled with fish (the light green area labeled "fish" is challenging terrain. Make a DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics roll or fall prone whenever you take a move action which moves you on to a square of terrain (you don't have to roll for each square, only once per round).

* The conveniently labeled catwalks along the side are a different sort of challenging terrain. If you have a hand free, you can move normally along them. Otherwise it's a DC 20 Acrobatics roll to avoid falling flat on the fish.

* The big boxes provide cover. They provide superior cover (& concealment) for people crouching or prone behind them, or for small characters. They can be moved (DC 15 Athletics roll to push, DC 20 to pull or slide). Also, for an extra square of movement, you can jump up on top of one.

* The curtains provide superior cover. It's one extra square of movement to go through.
[/sblock][sblock=actions]
Mercenary #1 - Free: drop Crossbow, Move: to A18, Minor: Draw Sword, Standard: Ready action.
Archers #1-#4 - Move: stand up, Standard: Attacking Abigail, Virgil, Dante, Talks-to-the-Moon (1d20+8=12, 1d20+8=23, 1d20+8=18, 1d20+8=18) Miss, 3 damage, 3 damage, Miss
Mercenary Leader - Move: to F19, Standard: Crossbow at Eraden (1d20+6=22) miss, Minor: reload crossbow
Mercenary Wizard - Move: to G20, Standard: Magic Missile at Abigail (1d20+7=8) Miss
Goblin #1 - Move: to E18, Standard: Shortbow at Abigail (1d20+6=22) Damage: (1d8+1d6+2=9)
Goblin #2 - Move: to H18, Standard: Shortbow at Eraden (1d20+6=26) crit: 16 damage
Mercenary #2 - Move: to G19, Standard: Crossbow vs. Talks-to-the-Moon (1d20+9=26) Damage: (1d8+2=3)
[/sblock][sblock=status]
Archer 1 - C19 - No Hits Taken
Archer 2 - E20 - No Hits Taken
Archer 3 - I19 - No Hits Taken
Archer 4 - J19 - No Hits Taken
Goblin 1 - E18 - No Hits Taken
Goblin 2 - H18 - No Hits Taken
Mercenary 1 - A18 - No Hits Taken Warlock's Curse (Alastair), Hunter's Quarry (Dante)
Mercenary 2 - G19 - No Hits Taken
Mercenary Leader - F19 - No Hits Taken
Mercenary Wizard - G20 - No Hits Taken

Eraden - G6 - 12/28 Prone
Dante - C6 - 19/22
Virgil - C7 - 19/22
Abigail - A16 - 18/27
Alastair - G7 - 24/24 Prone
Talks-to-the-Moon - B4 - 23/29
[/sblock][sblock=map]
FishRoomCombat2.gif
[/sblock][sblock=enemies]
Mercenaries:
AC 18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
Archers:
AC 13, Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 13
Goblins:
AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 12
Mercenary Wizard:
AC 17, Fort 14, Ref 16, Will 16
Mercenary Leader:
AC 18, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 14
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante slips a bit, but manages to cut his way across the fish right behind Virgil, the two of them leaping out of the fish and menacing two of the archers.

[sblock=Actions]Dante's Athletics check: 7 + 8 = 15. Virgil's Athletics check: 9 + 8 = 17.

Move action: Virgil moves to I-13, Dante moves to H-12
Standard action, convert to move action: Virgil moves to L-18, then K-19, Dante moves to K-18.

Note that any creature that attacks Virgil in melee draws an OA from Dante.

Here's where I wish I actually owned Martial Powers: when you charge, can your beast move too? I'm assuming not. Makes it slightly unhandy trying to keep your pet with you otherwise...[/sblock]

[sblock=Dante and Virgil]Dante, Male Human Ranger 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 16, Fort:16, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +3, Action Points: 1
Powers: Twin Strike, Predator Strike, Careful Attack, Off-Hand Strike, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 2d4+4 damage.
Note: Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC: 16, Fort:13, Reflex:13, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:19/22, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:2/2

Opportunity Attack: +7 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Unrelated side note for Ben]After this fight, I'm going to be doing the free level 1 rebuild on Dante, since Martial Power 2 came out and I want to change some things up (mostly a couple at-wills). After I do the changes, do you know if I need to get it re-approved? I'm assuming so...

It will also likely involve a slight re-arrangement of my wish-list, though I know my #1 item (Farbond Spellblade Spiked Chain) is still going to be the same at least.[/sblock]

[sblock=Yet another unrelated side note about Alastair]I have this image of Alastair diving and swimming in the fish like a penguin in penguin heaven...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Eternal54

First Post
Eraden winces from the scathing arrow. He breaks off the shaft protruding from his collar, his clavicle aching as the arrow snaps. Pushing the pain aside he swivles his body around and begins to crawl foward furiously, determined to reach his as assailants as quickly as he could while drudging through the pile of dead fish.

[sblock=Actions]
I use both standard and movement to run foward but due to being prone can only move three spaces for each[(5+2)/2:rounded down]. That places me 6 spaces closer to the enemy, I cant see the map at the moment but a straight line will do. I now grant combat advantage bringing AC defence to 21. I reserve my minor untill I can get an answer from speaker on something. I'll post new mini stats after.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Talks-to-the-Moon]The bonus AC you placed on me saved me this last round from another blow, thank you! Let me ask, the temp hit points I gain for sacrificing the bonus can be done so as an Instant Interrupt or Reaction? [/sblock]

auberon

First Post
Alastair scrabbles his way through the fish, appearing out of thin air to brandish his wand at his cursed foe.

The mystic energies of the Feywild produce a brilliant white flame that seems to ignite the mercenary's mind and body. Rivulets of argent fire stream up into the air from his eyes, his mouth, and his hands; agony disrupts his very thoughts.

"I almost feel sorry for him", the gnome says sardonically.

He then shifts his gaze to one of the goblin archers.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Crawl to G9, Double Move: Stand, Free: Assassin's Shroud on Mercenary 1, Action Point: Witchfire on Mercenary 1 1d20+6=24, hit for 4d6+4=17 and he takes -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn., Minor: Curse Goblin Archer 2.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alastair Feyd - Male Gnome Warlock 1 Initiative: +3, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10 AC: 15, For: 11, Ref: 14, Will: 15 HP: 24/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge value: 6, Surges/day: 7/7 Speed: 5 squares, Languages: Common, Elven AP: 0, Second Wind: unused Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Misty Step, Assassin's Shroud, Witchfire, Fade Away, Ghost Sound, Prophesy of Zhudun[/sblock]

[sblock=Note to DM]The first time Alastair takes any damage in the next round, he will immediately use his Fade Away power to turn invisible.[/sblock]

[sblock=Yet another unrelated side note about Alastair]I have this image of Alastair diving and swimming in the fish like a penguin in penguin heaven...[/sblock]

[sblock=to Iron Sky]Haha, yeah the fish are his friends right now.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=Eraden's Actions]
I use both standard and movement to run foward but due to being prone can only move three spaces for each[(5+2)/2:rounded down]. That places me 6 spaces closer to the enemy...
[/sblock]

[sblock=On Double Moves]I believe when you take a double move, you can add both movements together and then apply the effects of terrain(special benefit of double move). I'm off to work right now, so can't verify it, but I believe you'd get an extra square of move since (5+2)x2/2 = 7.[/sblock]

[sblock=Nice!]Good hit Auberon! That's what we need right now with these odds.[/sblock]

Eternal54

First Post
[sblock=On Double Moves]I believe when you take a double move, you can add both movements together and then apply the effects of terrain(special benefit of double move). I'm off to work right now, so can't verify it, but I believe you'd get an extra square of move since (5+2)x2/2 = 7.[/sblock]

[sblock=Ben,Judge,anyone?]
Is this right? If so that axtra square of movement would be an amazing bonus right now and Iron Sky would be my new best friend.[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=On Double Moves]"*One Speed: When you double move, add the speeds of the two move actions together then move." PHB, page 284. So, yes, you get an extra square.[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
OOC: Hey all! I got to head to work like, RIGHT NOW, but just wanted to say that Abby will be using Azuras to get in a close blast 3 attack when I get back, or saturday afternoon at the latest (depends on whether I'm stuck working OT tonight). I think I'll be able to hit 5 of the bastards, and if Abi's lucky, deal maybe ten to thirteen damage to each. Wondering whether it might be time for Aby to spend an action point to hit that guard and clear up the catwalk.

Remove ads