Adventure: A Fish Story (DM: BenBrown; Judge: renau1g)

Eternal54

First Post
At the end of the street Eraden notices an older man walking along the road. The man looked intoxicated or perhaps had just woken up, whatever the reason he dragged himself as he slowly pushed on. He looked up from his stooper and notices Eraden. Eraden gives the man a warm smile trying to reasure him nothing is wrong.

[sblock=Bluff Check]
1d20+5=11
So close it hurts. Well now I guess things should get very intresting. Sorry everyone!
[/sblock]

The man looks back at Eraden with a glance of both uncertainty and fear as he dashes off down the road.

"This can't be good"

[sblock=ooc]
Wow, after I posted this I read that Alastair has a +9 to bluff, this is why you dont post 15 minutes after waking up from only 5 hours of sleep...'hangs head sheepishly' [/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=oh dear]So that's five successes, three failures. And here I thought this was too easy.

Iron Sky: actually, I should have made it clear that any attempt to mess with anyone should be an attack roll. I'll let it stand for now. As I said, this is the first skill challenge I've ever run, and I'm still working through the rules.
[/sblock]
The old man runs off shouting "Thieves! Thieves!"

Distracted by this, Dante misses the watchman struggling to untie himself until it's too late, and the watchman skitters off in the other direction, ringing his bell.

Just then the door gives way under Abigail's shoving.

OOC:map later this evening.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=oh dear]Iron Sky: actually, I should have made it clear that any attempt to mess with anyone should be an attack roll. I'll let it stand for now. As I said, this is the first skill challenge I've ever run, and I'm still working through the rules.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge]No worries. No matter what type of roll it was, it was a natural 20. :)

As an (long) aside, in the 4e campaign I play in at home and the one I run, we only use skills in skill challenges. If people want to use their powers during one, they make the most closely related skill check for their power source - Arcana for Arcane characters, Athletics for Martial, Nature for Primal, Stealth for Shadow, Religion for Divine - or the skill most closely related to what their doing if they're "attacking" someone - such as Stealth for ambushing someone, Athletics to tackle someone, etc...

That way they're still using skills but can have the "flavor" of doing other things. That said, if someone ends up attacking someone with a skill and they fail, the skill challenge could end and immediately become combat (though that's theoretical since we've never had either group fail a skill challenge in a combined 29 levels of play...)

Haven't had a Psychic character involved in a skill check, so we'd have to figure out what skill that would be.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Flickering fish-oil lamps illuminate this first room. It's not much wider than needed for the doors to open all the way. To the left and right it looks like there are entrances to smaller rooms--perhaps storage for something. Straight ahead there is a curtain of a sort made of treated canvas, hanging across an entrance the same width as the double door. The curtain is divided into strips, perhaps two feet wide, hanging down from above the doorway. Through the gaps, light from the next room, apparently better lit, seeps through.

[sblock=Perception DC 25]Scuffling sounds as of something or someone moving come faintly from the room behind the curtain, then quickly stop[/sblock]
There are also several large crates around that look like they could be moved with a little effort.

[sblock=map]
Anteroom.gif
[/sblock]
[sblock=actions]Please let me know where you are standing on the map and what you are doing.[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=Perception Check]Damn, I'm on fire. Another Natural 20 + 7 = 27[/sblock]

Virgil is suddenly alert and wary, the arcane markings glowing brighter on his sides. He moves protectively in front of Dante as Dante moves through the door, Virgil's teeth bared and smoke drifting from his mouth,.

"This one heard movement behind the curtain, be readied," Dante says quietly as he moves in, loosing the chain that wraps him and whirling it out around him.

[sblock=Actions]Virgil will move to E2, Dante moves to E1 and draws his Spiked Chain, ready to attack.[/sblock]

[sblock=Dante and Virgil]Image of Dante and Virgil
Image:DanteAndVirgil.jpg
Image:DanteAndVirgil.jpg
, since I can't get it to show up in-thread.[/sblock]

auberon

First Post
Alastair hops into the room and quickly crosses it, looking for cover behind the crates.

[sblock=Actions]Alastair moves to J3, and will try to take a quick look into the adjoining room.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alastair Feyd - Male Gnome Warlock 1 Initiative: +3, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10 AC: 15, For: 11, Ref: 14, Will: 15 HP: 24/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge value: 6, Surges/day: 7/7 Speed: 5 squares, Languages: Common, Elven AP: 1, Second Wind: unused Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Misty Step, Assassin's Shroud, Witchfire, Fade Away, Ghost Sound, Prophesy of Zhudun[/sblock]

Last edited:

Eternal54

First Post
[sblock=perception check]
1d20+2=21
never had a chance to hit 25 but wanted to see if my luck with IC is looking any better.
[/sblock]

Virgil is suddenly alert and wary, the arcane markings glowing brighter on his sides. He moves protectively in front of Dante as Dante moves through the door, Virgil's teeth bared and smoke drifting from his mouth,.

"This one heard movement behind the curtain, be readied," Dante says quietly as he moves in, loosing the chain that wraps him and whirling it out around him.

"I will move in and try to draw it out." Eraden whispers as he slowly moves towards the curtains.

[sblock=Actions]
I stand gaurd at G3, shield and sword drawn.
[/sblock]

Remove ads