• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: A paladin in need (DM:Someone, judge: THB)

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Retcon time then. The skeleton is finally dead, Brenwar is at K2, the bug mage's actions were shift, sustain and move and didn't attack, and is sanctioned, and Brenwar is still undamaged with 3 THP.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=rulings]
OOC: I can’t find a quote, but I’d say I saw somewhere that vulnerabilities and resistances don’t stack, so we’ll go with that ruling unless someone else with better rules-fu finds something official.

OOC: I don't have my books here at work, so I can't quote, but I concur with the outcome: vulnerabilities of the same type don't stack, you just use the biggest one that's in play.

[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
Seeing the undead mage flee, Brenwar charges after the foul creature. However, he fails to capitalize on the charge hitting only air.
[sblock=Combat]
Minor Action: Channel Divinity: Divine Strength (Woot, +1 dmg)
Standard Action: Charge (Virtuous Strike) vs. Undead Bug Mage (1d20+9=13, 1d10+5+3+1+1d8=23) ending in O2

Ongoing Effect: All enemies that start their turn next to Brenwar are divine sanctioned until EONT of the enemy's turn.

I described it as a miss, but if this guy fails at AC then I will edit the above.

[sblock=Stats]
Brenwar – Male Human Paladin 6
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Brenwar_Holyshield_(Rapida)

Initiative: +2, Speed: 5 Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 21

AC: 27 Fort: 18, Reflex: 18, Will: 20, Resist: 1/all

HP: 59/59 (3 THP), Bloodied: 29 , Surge Value: 15, Surges Left: 12/13

Action Points: 0

Feats of Note:

Whenever Brenwar spends a healing surge, he gains 3 resistance to all damage until the start of his next turn.

Whenever Brenwar uses a power that allows an ally to spend a healing surge or regain hit points as if she had spent a healing surge, that ally can use his healing surge value (15 HP) to determine the number of hit points gained.

OA Basic Melee Attack: +10 Virtuous Strike (Vanguard's Hammer) 1d10+5 Damage

Powers At-Will Powers:Divine Challenge, Ardent Strike, Virtuous Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 Remaining)

Encounter Powers: Valorous Smite, Righteous Smite, Virtue, Channel Divinity, Deliverance of Faith, Swift Recovery, Heroic Effort, Second Wind

Daily Powers: Majestic Halo, Unyielding Faith, Magic Item Daily
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
The girl in the silver mask gasps with pain, but resolutely steps forward and continues to hurl magic at the bug mage. This time she points her dagger directly at it, and a jagged streak of multicolored energy appears, linking the point of her dagger to the creature.

[sblock=actions]Minor: sustain
Move: shift north to J12
Standard: chaos bolt against bug mage: 17 vs. will for 20 psychic damage. Hey, that hits! I didn't think it would. Unless it has cover...
[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
"Silver, hold strong my dear! Brenwar! Fear not; I am coming!"

Halleck moved around the mound and spied the bug mage, throwing an insult its way. "If only you could fight half as well as you run!"

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
Sustain Canon of Avoidance, but switch to Porphyria (+2 to AC), Shift, Brash Assault vs Wight1. This triggers a free MBA with CA for the Wight1, if he wants it.

[sblock=Action Block]
Minor: sustain Canon of Avoidance, switch to Porphyria (+2 to AC)
Move: to M10 (+1 to AC/Ref)
Standard: Vicious Mockery vs Bug Mage (targets will)

• Target: bug mage
  • Attack: 1d20+10=20
  • Damage: 1d6+6=12
  • Effect: target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn
[sblock=ignore]

• Effect: Against the target of this exploit, you gain a bonus to defenses equal to your Charisma modifier (+5) until the start of your next turn (due to Feat). The target can make a melee basic attack against you as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic attack against the target as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack.
[/sblock]

[/sblock][sblock=Halleck Stat block]Viscount Ambrose Halleck - Male Half-Elf Hybrid Warlord/Bard 6
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 20

Defenses:

AC: 23, Fort: 17, Reflex: 17, Will: 20 -- Speed: 5 (-1 Pen from armor)

Vitality:
HP: 27/50, THP: 0/8 Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges left: 6/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
Languages:
Common, Elven, Goblin

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +11 vs AC - Harmonic Spellblade Longsword 1d8+6
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: N/A

Properties:
Always On: Resist 2 on Ranged and Area attacks
On Shift: +1 to AC/REF
On Second Wind: If bloodied, you can spend 2 healing surges

Powers:
At-Will:
Brash Assault, Vicious Mockery
Encounter: Righteous Brand, Inspiring Word, Majestic Word, Shout of Triumph, Diabolic Stratagem, Divine Challenge, Battlefront Shift, Boots of the Fencing Master Enc
Daily: Stirring Shout, Stand the Fallen, Heroic Effort, Canon of Avoidance, Dwarven Scale Healing, Harmonic Spellblade Boon,

Weapons:
Harmonic Spellblade Longsword +1

[/sblock][sblock=Halleck's Log]
Adventure Summary

Notes:
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: cov, looks like you could bounce Chaos Bolt if you wanted to.

ooc: Can I? It says, "if the attack roll was even..." Does that refer to the unmodified d20 roll, or the final result after all the modifiers have been added? I couldn't find a clarification, so I assumed the latter. Which in this case was 17. I suppose it doesn't really matter which interpretation is used, so long as you don't get to pick your interpretation selectively after the dice are rolled. I'd kind of made up my mind before rolling to use the final modified number. At any rate, the primary attack still may have missed, depending on how Someone interprets his cover squares, which in my reading means no bounce.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: I interpret "the attack roll" as the total of the die plus all bonuses and penalties. Since it doesn't really alter the probabilities of either result, we'll go with that ruling for now on. This round it doesn't matter since P failed to hit; I think the bushes grant cover in that position if the PNB's diagrams are of some use.

The mound isn't high enough to block line of sight; a mound with sides so steep would qualify as "wall". You can change your move action if you want, Tenchuu.

Also the bug-mage is finally dead. You made him cry.

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Joy surged forward again at Halleck's urging, making her way to the Starling's side. She swung her massive curved sword around in a full circle over her head, and thunder boomed across the field- while it didn't seem to harm the wight, the force of the blast forced the sorceress back, so she was now at Joy's back...

[sblock= OOC]
>Move: to K 11
>Standard: Shout of Triumph, close blast 3 (JKL 12/!3/14) to catch Wight 2, +8 vs. FORT = 14 (probably yet another miss- if it hits, deal 12 thunder and push to K16) ; roll Roll Lookup ; Effect: Slide Starling 2, to K10

[/sblock]

Remove ads