Adventure: A paladin in need (DM:Someone, judge: THB)

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Thanks THB for judging this. I managed to undo almost all the damage, and looks like we'll keep the pace with only some jury rigging

As Porphyria showers the undead with shining stars, Brenwar bravely charges forward, feeling invincible, and swiftly supported by his companion who focus their efforts on the nearby monsters. Bits of gore, blackened blood and bone fly everywhere as spells and blows crash into their ranks and the monstrous skeletal beast roars in agony and strikes Brenwar with all it’s might. The paladin is however able to deflect the brutal strike with his shield, and continues his assault on his chosen foe.

But while the part assaults the front gates, the two desiccated corpses who lurked at the sides swiftly charge forward, striking Halleck and Joy. Their blows aren’t a serious concern, but as they touch you you grow weaker and your will wanes. Revitalized by your lost life force, or spurred by the bug-mage’s cruel laugh, one of them go mad among your ranks, striking left and right before slipping away. As the group lie confused by the wight’s sudden attack, the insect-covered undead opens his mouth wide and a massive cloud of flies comes forth, obscuring the battlefield’s center. You can barely see many of your foes, and the insects invade Brenwar’s armor, eyes and nostrils; the paladin finds himself in a difficult position.

[sblock=actions]

Porphyria moves, casts Blazing starfall killing two minions and dealing 20 damage to the large skeleton (who’s vulnerable to radiant). Gets +1 AC thanks to his Wild magic boon

Brenwar uses battlefront shift, spends a surge to get 15 THP and DR 3, then charges the large skeleton dealing 18 damage (3 extra damage thanks to his Pelor’s blessing thingamabob)

Halleck moves, uses Vicious Mockery. Since the large skeleton has cover from the big pile of rocks, he targets Minion 3, but alas, he’s dead, so I made him target #4 instead. Halleck successfully insults the undead so hard it dies.

Joy moves, successfully uses misdirected mark on bug mage, deals 15 damage and is marked by Halleck.

Wight 1 moves slightly, then charges Halleck, hits AC 28 and deals 9 damage and deletes one of his healing surges and shifts away 3 squares.

Wight 2 does more or less the same, moves, charges Joy, hits AC 23, deals 5 damage and rots 1 healing surge, and triggers the bug corpse’s Unholy Vitality power, which makes him shift 2 squares and use his MBA again. The attack hits Halleck’s AC again (25) dealing 6 more damage and burning another HS, and finally shifting 3 more squares.

The last minion moves to where he’s now and throws a javelin at Brenwar. It fails pathetically, but the paladin is Marked.

The large skeleton tries to club Brenwar into the ground, but rolls 21 VS AC and fails.

Finally the bug-corpse casts his Encounter power, Plague cloud – the vast black area. Enemies (you) there are at -2 to hit, and allies in the zone have concealment.[/sblock]
[sblock=enemies]
Lore: The bug-animated corpse is a rare kind of undead created from the corpse of a mage or warlock after it’s been infested by insects. Though not physically powerful or durable, they can summon clouds of flies to hamper and harass its enemies.
Some of the undead, the undamaged ones, are wights. They can steal your life force with a touch.

Large skeleton: AC 22 FORT ?? REF 19 WILL ??. MBA (Reach 2, threatening reach): +13 VS AC; 2d6+7 damage.

Undead legionaries (minion) : AC ?? FORT ?? REF ?? WILL 18. MBA: +12 vs AC, 7 damage and marks.

Wights: AC ?? FORT ?? REF ?? WILL ?? MBA +10 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage and target loses a healing surge.

Bug mage AC ?? FORT ?? REF ?? WILL 17 MBA +9 vs AC, 1d8+1 damage[/sblock]

[sblock=status]
Brenwar: 15 THP, 1 HS spent, marked by the last minion.
Halleck=15 damage, 2 HS spent
Porphyria: Fine
Joy: 5 damage, 1 HS spent
Large skeleton: 38 damage, Divine Sanctioned (until end of Brenwar’s turn)
Bug corpse: 15 damage, marked by Halleck until end of his round.
Wight 1: Fine
Wight 2: Doing victory dance
Legionary 1: Dead
Legionary 2: Fine
Legionary 3: Dead
Legionary 4: Dead

(I don’t know if I messed up with the minion’s numbers, but it doesn’t matter, as only one of them should be alive)
[/sblock]
[sblock=map]
Paladin1-2.jpg

Squares marked with a “D”, as well those with rocks and bushes are difficult terrain. The mound, rocks and bushes are cover.

My connection sucks, so I don't know if the map is visible or not. Let me know if you can't see it
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Meta]
So... we're in a crappy position here. Brenwar, I'm not sure anyone can get over to kill that minion. For my better powers to work, I need someone to stick with me (either Joy in Melee, or the Starling within 3-4 of me and the enemy).

On the upside, since the enemy at-will burns healing surges, I feel relatively safe using some daily's here (we'll likely need a long rest, unless we dispatch these fools quickly). Anyone want +2 AC?
[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
[sblock=Whoops and Meta]
I forgot to add the extra d8 for successful charge last turn. Here is the roll if you feel like correcting my mistake Someone:
Charge Damage (1d8=3)

[MENTION=85539]Tenchuu[/MENTION]: If you can get me to swing my melee basic around it does radiant damage.

I'm debating trying an encounter power to mark a burst 3, that way the wight will pay attention to me a bit (ideally). However, I'm also swinging with a -6. I can use my human encounter to get +4, but I'm still leery of missing on an encounter.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[sblock=Whoops and Meta]
I forgot to add the extra d8 for successful charge last turn. Here is the roll if you feel like correcting my mistake Someone:
Charge Damage (1d8=3)

If you can get me to swing my melee basic around it does radiant damage.

I'm debating trying an encounter power to mark a burst 3, that way the wight will pay attention to me a bit (ideally). However, I'm also swinging with a -6. I can use my human encounter to get +4, but I'm still leery of missing on an encounter.
[/sblock]

[sblock]The extra damage on a charge was an hones mistake, so I'll add it; the skeleton is at 41 damage and is bloodied. Let's leave the attack as it was; it's not like figuring the undead would be vulnerable to radiant was really that difficult[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
[sblock]
Yea sorry the second part about my basic is for Tenchuu, I wasn't trying to use it on a charge.
Appreciate the fix.
EDIT: Though I never really thought about using my other attack at the end of a charge. I guess it would work since it is considered a melee basic?
[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Joy stepped forward to the edge of the swirling, choking dark cloud and again extended her blade, this time targeting the last of the weaker undead. Whatever luck she had called upon with her previous attack seemed to have vanished, and the undead ignored her attempted strike...

[sblock= OOC]
>Move: to I 9 (just outside cloud/difficult terrain)
>Standard: Misdirected Mark against the last minion; 1d20+8 vs. REF (including concealment)= 8 (miss); roll Roll Lookup

[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
Coughing and spitting bugs, Brenwar ducks a swing from the large skeleton to get in the clear. As the blow flashes by his skull, he returns a solid thwack of his hammer against the beast's femur leaving a number of large cracks in it. As he does so a number of ethereal owls flit about marking his nearby enemies. Once clear of the bugs he pivots to face his foes...
[sblock=Combat]
Move Action: Move to J1 (out of the bugs), provoking from the giant skeleton
Large Skeleton's AoO (1d20+13=18, 2d6+7=14)

Standard Action: Valorous Smite vs. Large Skeleton (1d20+8=21, 2d10+5+3=14)
I'll activate Heroic Effort to add +4 to the attack roll, netting a 25. This should hit the Skeleton's 24 (22+2 for concealment) assuming I'm not missing anything (I factored in the -2 for the mark already).
Since I hit, all enemies within 3 are divine sanctioned until EONT.

Minor Action: Divine Challenge the giant skeleton to overwrite the temporary divine sanction

[sblock=Stats]
Brenwar – Male Human Paladin 6
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Brenwar_Holyshield_(Rapida)

Initiative: +2, Speed: 5 Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 21

AC: 25 Fort: 18, Reflex: 18, Will: 20, Resist: 1/all

HP: 59/59 (15 THP), Bloodied: 29 , Surge Value: 15, Surges Left: 12/13

Action Points: 1

Feats of Note:

Whenever Brenwar spends a healing surge, he gains 3 resistance to all damage until the start of his next turn.

Whenever Brenwar uses a power that allows an ally to spend a healing surge or regain hit points as if she had spent a healing surge, that ally can use his healing surge value (15 HP) to determine the number of hit points gained.

OA Basic Melee Attack: +10 Virtuous Strike (Vanguard's Hammer) 1d10+5 Damage

Powers At-Will Powers:Divine Challenge, Ardent Strike, Virtuous Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 Remaining)

Encounter Powers: Valorous Smite, Righteous Smite, Virtue, Channel Divinity, Deliverance of Faith, Swift Recovery, Heroic Effort, Second Wind

Daily Powers: Majestic Halo, Unyielding Faith, Magic Item Daily
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
"Do you always fight so cowardly? I'm surprised some dead has enough fear or sense to back away from me!"

Moving closer to Joy, he says "Brenwar! Watch you back!"

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
Vicious Mockery, Move, Canon of Avoidance on Brenwar (+2 to AC)

[sblock=Action Block]
Standard: Vicious Mockery vs Wight1 (targets Will)

• Target: Wight1
  • Attack: 1d20+10=20
  • Damage: 1d6+6=11 psychic damage
  • Effect: on hit, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls TENT-Halleck
[sblock=ignore]
Against the target of this exploit, you gain a bonus to defenses equal to your Charisma modifier (+5) until the start of your next turn (due to Feat). The target can make a melee basic attack against you as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic attack against the target as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack.
[/sblock]

Move: to I7
Minor: Canon of Avoidance on Brenwar (+2 to AC)
[/sblock][sblock=Halleck Stat block]Viscount Ambrose Halleck - Male Half-Elf Hybrid Warlord/Bard 6
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 20

Defenses:

AC: 23, Fort: 17, Reflex: 17, Will: 20 -- Speed: 5 (-1 Pen from armor)

Vitality:
HP: 35/50, THP: 0/8 Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges left: 7/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
Languages:
Common, Elven, Goblin

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +11 vs AC - Harmonic Spellblade Longsword 1d8+6
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: N/A

Properties:
Always On: Resist 2 on Ranged and Area attacks
On Shift: +1 to AC/REF
On Second Wind: If bloodied, you can spend 2 healing surges

Powers:
At-Will:
Brash Assault, Vicious Mockery
Encounter: Righteous Brand, Inspiring Word, Majestic Word, Shout of Triumph, Diabolic Stratagem, Divine Challenge, Battlefront Shift, Boots of the Fencing Master Enc
Daily: Stirring Shout, Stand the Fallen, Heroic Effort, Canon of Avoidance, Dwarven Scale Healing, Harmonic Spellblade Boon,

Weapons:
Harmonic Spellblade Longsword +1

[/sblock][sblock=Halleck's Log]
Adventure Summary

Notes:
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Remove ads