[Adventure] A scholar in need (DM:Someone, Judge: Renau1g)

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: Well! I feel so much more informed! :D Thanks guys! That is a cool alternate way to bolster the party. I am at 7/7 surges at this point, but it sounds like we are covered for now.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Waiting for Ianward's post; I'll continue the challenge later today whether he posts or not.

By the way, I'll be travelling tomorrow and out of town. I don't expect I'll have problems posting, but I won't be able to post as often.

Otakkun

Explorer
Not really knowing what else to do, Ianward simply decides to follow Bones around and try to help, when it becomes obvious that he is being more of a bother than helpful, Ian simply shrugs and decides to stay put and wait for the rest of them to do the work he's obviously not suited for.

Someone

Adventurer
Mercurial recalls some bits of data about the mage. You actually remember him being the court wizard (not neccesarily Wizard) of some city state - it could very well be Theotocopolis. You recall bits of him being associated with the loss of important royal records; they were supposedly lost in a fire, but you're not so sure.

Meanwhile the groups suspects Thogorius being in some underground... place? They try to put their knowledge to use, but even when Bones can deduct quite a bit about the best places where it could be located, the rest of the party is less than helpful and delay the party too much. Finally, when they are out of clues, Artemis can befriend the workers at the dock, promising them some ale. One of them fortunately remembers seeing Thogorius, but it was some time ago and the trail could be cold.

You all hurry towards there: it's an old and dirty alley, with nothing exceptional except a rusty crate which has been forced open very recently. Wet moldy stairs descend beyond it, and the faint echo of voices can be heard.

[sblock=Challenge status]You accumulated three strikes, so I'm afraid you failed the challenge: no cookie for you. Next post is big; I'll try to do it later today or tomorrow early but if I can't, I'm afraid it'll have to wait 48 hours.

Meanwhile, if any of you could summarize the party status (hit points and surges) I'd appreciate it.[/sblock]

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones enthusiastically peers down the stairwell and grins, "Everything worth finding is below ground." Bones steps quietly as the group descends the stairs, straining his ears to hear the voices within. Unfortunately, he's too excited to hear the voices over the sound of the blood thumping in his ears. His heart is racing in anticipation of what wonders may lie ahead... he imagines they are heading toward a re-discovered secret library or laboratory of the lost mage of the Theotocopolitan court... or perhaps an artifact of tremendous power, not used since the founding of the city of the Theotocopolis. He shakes his head, don't dwell on dreams, he tells himself, there's too much danger ahead at present.

[sblock="Perception check"]
Perception check to listen to the voices in the creepy dark place, 1d20 + 6 = 9 fail! (I'd assume).
[/sblock]

[sblock="Contingent actions"]
If it's too dark to see, Bones will light a torch, but if there's some light coming in from high windows in the cellar/basement walls (or whatnot), he'll try to allow his eyes to adjust to the dim light.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bones, level 1 human rogue
hp 29/29, surges 7/7; AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 12;
available: easy target (daily), second wind, torturous strike; 3 daggers
expended: action point
[/sblock]

rb780nm

First Post
[sblock=Quick Stats]Sound of Stone, Thri-kreen Monk 1 Speaks in Lime Italics HP24/25 Temp HP 0 , Surges 4/8

Initiative
+5 AC 17, Fort 13, Reflex 16, Will 13 AP 1, Surges 8/8 Centered Flurry of Blows, Crane's Wings, Five Storms, Thri-kreen Claws, Open the Gates of Battle, Masterful Spiral,
Special:
Wiki page: PC:SoundofStone (rb780nm) - L4W Wiki
[/sblock]

OOC: Contingent on it being dark:

When he sees the flint, Sound of Stone places a hand on Bones'. "I have these," he indicates a pair of sunrods strapped to his hip. "You do not need to mess with those smokey sticks."

Someone

Adventurer
The tunnel is wide and spacious, and not too dark: light filters from holes and grates in ceiling and the upper walls, so you can navigate without sources of light. The underground journey doesn’t last even a minute, however: soon you arrive at a flight of stairs and the voices sound louder and the sound of running water is louder. Ianward peeks behind a corner and an arrow whistles past him.

“It’s them! The ones that attacked us!” says a familiar voice.
“Kill them! Don’t let them reach us!”

Taking cover behind corner and shield, Ianward can see a robed man, obviously Epigenes holding someone who cannot be other than Thogorius, who looks battered and almost unconscious. The soldier who fled from you the first battle is back; other mercenaries, armed with bows, flank the mage. And some construct beside him, shaped in the form of a large dog, emits a metallic growl.

[sblock=initiative]
Sound of Stone 24
Bones 24
Ianward 17
Enemies 17
Artemis 12
Mercurial 12

Artemis and Mercurial must therefore wait until I post the bad guy's actions[/sblock]

[sblock=status]

Sound of stone: Healing surges 5/8
Bones: Action point used
Ianward: Healing surges: 11/14
Artemis: Fine
Mercurial: Healing surges 5/7
Halberdier: Fine
Archer 1: Fine
Archer 2: fine
Mage: Fine
Dog: Fine
Notes: surges missing were the needed to get you up to full HP and recharge infusions.
[/sblock]

[sblock=actions]
None yet
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Scholar201.jpg
[/sblock]
[sblock=terrain]The stair where you currently are have solid walls that prevent you from going directly south. You currently have no line of sight or effect to any enemy, and have to move through the e1 or e2 squares if you want to enter the hall.
The water is deep enough to cover you, so you’d have to swim if you fall in it.
The raised squares are 10 feet above the main floor.

There's another exit at squares M14 and N14, leading south[/sblock]

[sblock=enemy stats]
Halberdier:
AC=18, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
MBA: Halberd; +8 Vs AC 1d10+3 damage and marks target.

Dog:
AC 18, Fort 16 Ref 15 Will 13
MBA: +9 Vs AC, 1d8+6 damage

Archer:
AC=15 Fort 11 Ref 13 Will 12
MBA +5 VsAC, 1d6+4 damage

Epigenes:
AC=17 Fort 13 Ref 14 Will 15
MBA +4 VS ac, 1d8 damage[/sblock]

Last edited:

rb780nm

First Post
With a high pitched insectiod cry and the startling sound of claws racing over the flagstones, Sound of Stone races towards the halbardier, striking at him with claws and his spear.

OOC:
Use Open the Gates of Battle
Move to D9 (OtGoB gives speed +2 and no OA from the halbardier, and I should be out of range of the construct).
Standard: Attack part of OtGoB

OtGoB on Halbardier (1d20+5, 3d10+5=[9, 5], [7, 10, 10, 5]) 14 vs Ref, miss. Had to happen eventually

Minor: Thri-kreen claws: 1d20+8=27, 1d8+6=9 27 vs Reflex, hit for 9 damage.
Free: Flurry of Blows on same, 4 damage, slide him to E8.

[sblock=Quick Stats]Sound of Stone, Thri-kreen Monk 1 Speaks in Lime Italics HP24/25 Temp HP 0 , Surges 4/8

Initiative
+5 AC 17, Fort 13, Reflex 16, Will 13 AP 1, Surges 8/8 Centered Flurry of Blows, Crane's Wings, Five Storms, XXThri-kreen ClawsXX, XXOpen the Gates of BattleXX, Masterful Spiral,
Special:
Wiki page: PC:SoundofStone (rb780nm) - L4W Wiki
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Someone, since there was a lot of time between fights, can Ian and Merc use a healing surge before this fight begins? Usually that is stated when short rest is taken and I wasn't sure if anyone wanted to take advantage of that?

Also! don't forget battlefront shift allows any ally to shift half his movement now! before your turn [/sblock]

[sblock=battlefront shift] Seriously, someone use it! if no one does, I will shift to F4 "before" the bad guys go [/sblock]

Remove ads