[Adventure] A scholar in need (DM:Someone, Judge: Renau1g)

FourMonos

First Post
"Well, now we know the antagonist to our hunt. I have a sneaking feeling that we will get our chance to meet this Epigenes before too long."

"I agree with Bones, we should stay together. Our two options really seem to be either try to find Thorgorius before these Seagull mercenaries, or try to find where the mercenaries are here in Daunton and try to eliminate the competition before they can grab Thorgorius."

"Either option would likely solve the mystery of why are they after him. I am good either way. If we want to head on to Thorgorius's house, I'm okay with that."

rb780nm

First Post
"If we find Thorgorius first, maybe we will have less battles to fight" opines Sound of Stone. It is not clear whether he thinks this is a good thing or a bad thing...

Someone

Adventurer
"Sounds good to me" replies Ianward as he helps moving the wounded man.

GM: I'm reading that you're, generally speaking, ok with the idea of trying to fing Thogorius before the bad guys do. I'll wait a day for other opinions since I don't want to look like I railroaded you in that direction, before starting a skill challenge based on that

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones furrows his brow in thought, "Finding Thogorius before the Seagull goons would be great, but where do we start? The Theotocopolitan soldiers likely outnumber us, so they will surely find him first if we go door-to-door through all of Daunton and Theotocopolis. Unless, Domenicos, you have some suggestions to narrow our search? There is nowhere that you know of that Thogorius may have hidden? What about this 'historical expedition' he was planning? He didn't mention anything else about it? Maybe he's trying to beat Epigenes to obtaining whatever it is he discovered."

[sblock=OOC] I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm not picking up on the hint (and neither is Bones). Sorry! So feel free to steer us in the direction you like, I don't want to hold up the show. [/sblock]

Fyrm

First Post
Good point Bones. Is there anywhere you think Thogorius would hide in a new city, Domenicos? You are his friend, so you know him better than anyone else that is searching for him.
OOC: Looks like everyone thinks that we should find Thogorius first, exept maybe Sound of Stones, who seems to have taken a creepy tone recently.;)

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] I'm good with finding Thorgorius too. [/sblock]

"Maybe the clue isn't in his home, but in your office (which I don't remember if that was here or in Theotocopolis)? Could he have been coming here to do some last minute research? Is there a library here where he would be comfortable hiding?"

rb780nm

First Post
"These seagulls must know where Thorogorius lives too. They will have been there first - but with Domenicus and you smart new friends, maybe we'll catch something they missed"

OOC: I'm not tryng to be over specific. Just roleplaying a little. Also Sound of Stone is from a very different, hard place (not Athas, but similar) his values are different. If you want creepy, wait until there are corpses and Sound of Stone's rations are running low :)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
The party quickly agrees that finding Thogorius quickly is the best idea since Domenicos, no matter how many times is asked, can't offer new information on what his friend could have discovered. You put your detective skills to use.

[sblock=skill challenge]As previously said, we're going to play the long and often boring investigation part of the vignette as a skill challenge. The average DC will be 12, but I'll keep the successes needed and skills to be used to me, which means you can use whatever skill you can justify well enough in the context of what you know. Using an appropriate skill in an appropriate (or well roleplayed!) manner will mean you'll roll against the set DC; using it in a clever manner will get you bonuses, and of course using badly justified or inappropriate means penalties or automatic failures. Every round of posting I’ll include what you’re finding out, which means you’ll get more information for your skill checks.

As a house rule for this encounter additional checks using that skill in that particular way will be more difficult since we’ll assume you’ve done everything you could do. As an example, you said a couple times you wanted to search Thogorius’ house. You could use Perception to do so. If you keep using Perception to search his house your DC will be much higher, or directly fail, but you can still use Perception in other ways or circumstances.[/sblock]

rb780nm

First Post
Arriving at Throgorius' house, Sound of Stone looks around for anything that stands out as potentially important.

OOC: Perception check 1d20+6, also I'll make a theivery check incase there are any locked doors, cabinets, drawers or safes we need opened (1d20+11). Is a natural 1 an auto miss in a skill check?

Remove ads