• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=terrain]Gangplank: challenging terrain; Acrobatics DC 15 or Athletics DC 15 as part of movement to cross it; If check is failed, immediate saving throw or fall into water (a successful save means falling prone on gangplank)[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc][MENTION=78756]Son of Meepo[/MENTION]: yes, it is still considered challenging terrain (stupid copy/paste). You would make your Athletics/Acrobatics as part of your move. A failure means you'd have to save or fall in the water. There's no extra juiciness if you fail horribly[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC]So what happens if you fall into the water? Do we make some Swim check? Is there even a swim check? Or will you do Athletics? Then a Climb check to get back I presume? (Let me tell that I have tried climbing back onto a boat, it is HAAARD...just saying[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Using the dragonborn's distraction, Finnean bounds for the gangplank, but he failed to appreciate how slippery the wet wood could be and faceplants, he brings himself to his feet and fires a quick shot at the gnome, but it ricochet's off the crate.

[sblock=ooc] @Son of Meepo : yes, it is still considered challenging terrain (stupid copy/paste). You would make your Athletics/Acrobatics as part of your move. A failure means you'd have to save or fall in the water. There's no extra juiciness if you fail horribly[/sblock]

[sblock=jsb420]OK, I didn't see the second part in the original post, and I didn't want to assume you were using the standard Acrobatic bullet points. (I was kind of surprised when you chose the hard DC for our level to cross it so I wasn't sure if something unusual was up with it.) Also, did the pirates have to make the check or do they have some special ability that prevents the need for one? Just wondering what Finnean noticed.[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions]Move: Gangplank
Acrobatics:
Acrobatics (1d20+11=12)
Save: Saving Throw (1d20=18)
Move: Stand
Acrobatics: Acrobatics (1d20+11=15)
Free: Load Sling
AP: Sly Flourish (Sneak Attack) (1d20+7=10, 3d6+8=18) (Miss)
(+2 to Defenses from warlord presence)[/sblock]

[sblock=Finnean Fairhand]

Finnean Fairhand - Level 1 Rogue|Ardent
Init: +4 Speed: 6
Passive Perception:12; Passive Insight: 12
AC: 18 (26 OA) Fort 15 (17 OA) Ref 17 (19 OA) Will 17 (19 OA)
HP: 24/24 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 6 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Elven
Str:8 Dex:18 Wis:14 Con:12 Int:10 Cha:18

Powers:
Impetuous Ruin
Sly Flourish

Second Chance
Opening Move
Second Wind

Mental Turmoil

[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Did I mention how much I hate using Invisible Castle. :hmm: Rolls like this pretty much happen all the time for me for some reason.[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=Son of Meepo]Nat 1, your halfling rogue is quite dexterous. And a side note, a DC 15 is considered easy check for 1-3rd PCs. So I will place you - standing - on the gangplank at J10.
The motley crew have an ability called Seaborn Mobility that allows them to ignore difficult terrain as part of a move (and they gain climb speed too).[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=Son of Meepo]Nat 1, your halfling rogue is quite dexterous. And a side note, a DC 15 is considered easy check for 1-3rd PCs. So I will place you - standing - on the gangplank at J10.
The motley crew have an ability called Seaborn Mobility that allows them to ignore difficult terrain as part of a move (and they gain climb speed too).[/sblock]

[sblock=jsb420]Ah I see. I beg of you, please, please, PLEASE use the more sane skill DC table that was published in this article and the Rules Compendium. The original DCs are way too hard. (Yeah, the Hard DC is actually more difficult than 15, but I remembered that 15 was higher than moderate.)

Skill DC Update[/sblock]

DemonicJester

First Post
Damien watches as the little tiefling throws all manner of magic onto the pirate captain.

He notes out of the corner of his eye Cyrus gesturing to him from behind the wheel dock

Instinctively Damien pulls out another arrow and readies his bow to knock down the pirate captain.

The arrow flies thru the air and would have hit the pirate captain dead center had he not been blown to the side from the tiefling's magic.

Frustrated Damien gathers himself and prepares another arrow to launch at the pirate leader. This time the grubby human had no one around him to take the fall for him and soon a large chunk of his left hand lay on the side of deck because of it. The force of the impact was so great the pirate leader began spinning and dropped to the ground from the pain.

[sblock=Actions]Clever shot on the Pirate Leader
1d20+9=13 miss

AP -> Clever shot on the Pirate Leader
1d20+9=21, 2d6+4=14 and the Pirate Leader is knocked prone

Clever Shot
At-Will
bullet.gif
Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon. If the attack hits, the target is also subject to one of the following effects of your choice:
* You slide the target up to 2 squares.
* The target falls prone.
* The target is slowed (save ends).[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat block]Damien Bugbear Hunter 1
Initiative +4, Passive Perception: 17+2, Passive Insight 12, Senses: Low Light
Action Point Spent
Defenses: AC: 16, Fort: 14, Ref: 15, Will: 12
HP: 17/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges/day: 9/9, Speed: 6+2
Languages: Allarian, Hzakan
Bonuses: +1 to attack roles if did not move this turn

Powers:
Aimed Shot, Clever Shot, Rapid Shot
Disruptive Shot, Predatory Eye
Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx , Aspect of the Seeking Falcon selected
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I wanted to nuke down the gnome wizard while I had combat advantage :( so I hope you do all sorts of nasty things to the pirate lord for me then Cyrus :D[/sblock]

[sblock=jsb]Also you have Damien's health at 18/28 while he took 11 damage from the Elven Archer in their first round.
That would make his health 17/28 like I have in my stat block.
Not a huge deal but it could make a difference later. Thanks[/sblock]

Last edited:

Circio

First Post
"You'll pay for that!" Ardens yells at the captain as he rushes up to the side of the ship and thrusts out his hands. A burst of fire shoots out towards the pirate ship, engulfing half the deck in a fiery chaos.

[sblock=Actions][sblock=Burning Hands]
Encounter
bullet.gif
Arcane, Evocation, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each creature in the blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.
[/sblock]
Move: Move from H6 to H9.

Attack: Attack Elf Archers 1, 2, 3 and the Pirate Captain with Burning Hands

Elf Archer 1: 1d20+5=9+2=11 MISS
Elf Archer 2: 1d20+5=12+2=14 HIT
Elf Archer 3: 1d20+5=17+2=19 HIT
Pirate Captain: 1d20+5=20 HIT

Note: I forgot Ixen had made all the archers grant CA. That means I actually hit Elf Archer 2 instead of missing.

Elf Archers 2 and 3 and the Pirate Captain take 13 damage while Elf Archer 1 takes 6 (half) damage.
[/sblock]

Ardens Human Pyromancer 1
Initiative +1, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight 18
Defenses: AC: 14, Fort: 14, Ref: 15, Will: 15
HP: 19/26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges/day: 10/9, Speed: 6
Languages: Allarian, Draconic
Action Points: 0

Powers:
Erupting Flare, Scorching Burst, Magic Missile
Burning Hands[X], Force Orb, Heroic Effort[], Second Wind[]
Fountain of Flame[], Wizard's Fury

Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Sword Bond

Last edited:

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=ooc] @Circio : Archer 2 has concealment (-2 to your attacks against it, it cancels out CA from Ixen) so your actual roll is 12, a miss by 1 (elf REF 13) so half damage. As circio's post, 13 damage to archer 2

Archer 1 also has concealment (from bulwark) but you missed anyway, so no change.

Pirate captain is prone from Damien's attack, but no change (your spell is a blast, not "ranged" so no penalty to hit him), hit

EDIT: damn, circio is correct, i even contradicted myself in the above text. a little hungover this morning haha[/sblock]

Last edited:

Circio

First Post
[sblock=jsb]Concealment only applies to melee and ranged attacks. Bursts and blasts are not affected by concealment.

Concealment
Concealment (-2 Penalty to Attack Rolls): The target is in a lightly obscured square or in a heavily obscured square but adjacent to you.

Total Concealment (-5 Penalty to Attack Rolls): You can’t see the target. The target is invisible, in a totally obscured square, or in a heavily obscured square and not adjacent to you.

Melee Attacks and Ranged Attacks Only: Attack penalties from concealment apply only to the targets of melee or ranged attacks.
[/sblock]

Remove ads