• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

treex

First Post
[sblock=Light]I targeted the square K11, not the enemy, the square :D[/sblock]
The pirates swarm onto the ship, one after another.
"We'll be surrounded in no time" Jesse thought. "Gotta slow them down, buy time for the others to catch up..."

"Fools! You dare defy me?! I command the creatures of the deep, the waters of the WORLD! I command the shadows to swallow you and send you to HELL!"

It was a bluff, but no one was the wiser. Who knows, maybe Jesse really DOES control the creatures of the deep.

Shadows burst forth on the deck, whipping and lashing out. It grabs onto two of the them, but the shadows merely lick harmlessly

[sblock=Actions]Grasping Shadows (Burst 1) at K8. (I wanted to use my Encounter but I typed in my daily instead, >: )
Motley Pirate 2 and 6 = Hit for 11 Psychic Damage, slowed until EONT, grants CA to Jesse until EONT, -2 penalty to hit against Jesse until EONT
Motley Pirate 7 = Missed!

A zone from J7 to L9 is formed and lasts UEONT. Enemies who step into it take 5 Psychic damage and are slowed UEONT.
(Yeah max damage!)

Save roll against Dazed=NATURAL ONE D: (I assume dazed means I can only take one action [action/move/minor] Correct me if I'm wrong)

If you'll allow a bluff check that I'm badass...1d20+4=24 NATURAL 20

EDIT: Am I blocking the way?! I hope not D:
[/sblock]

Last edited:

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=ooc]treex, you are correct, one action. So it's kinda hard to be a bada$$ if you're dazed! lol Nice try though! Motley crew are all minions so they only have 1 hit point. They are dead but won't prevent the others from coming aboard. the zone will be there though[/sblock]

Last edited:

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC]What do you mean won't prevent the others from coming aboard. I dare you to make the minions charge onto the ship. I dare you. I double dare you. lol[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Deciding to delay joining the fray for now, Finnean takes cover by hiding behind the mast. He loads a bullet into his sling and fires it at the elf on the other ship.

[sblock=actions]Move: E6, taking cover behind the mast.
Minor: Draw Sling
Free: Load Sling
Standard: Sly Flourish at Elf 1 (Miss)
Sly Flourish (Sling) (1d20+6=10, 1d6+8=14)[/sblock]

[sblock=Finnean Fairhand]

Finnean Fairhand - Level 1 Rogue|Ardent
Init: +4 Speed: 6
Passive Perception: 12; Passive Insight: 12
AC: 16 Fort 13 Ref 15 Will 15
HP: 24/24 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 6 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Elven
Str:8 Dex:18 Wis:14 Con:12 Int:10 Cha:18

Powers:
Impetuous Ruin
Sly Flourish

Second Chance
Opening Move
Second Wind

Mental Turmoil

[/sblock]

Circio

First Post
Ardens, awakened by Cyrus's call, gets up and and grabs his dagger. Whoever is up there interrupting my sleep is going to pay dearly, Ardens thinks to himself as he rushes off to the deck.

Getting up on the deck and seeing there is another ship, a quick smirk comes across Ardens face. "I was cautious about conjuring fire on the ship I am relying on to get me where I"m going, but I don't give a damn about what happens to yours!" Ardens screams at the pirates as a burst of fire appears near the boarding plank on the pirate ship.

[sblock=Pirate Positions]Your description of the locations of Motley Crew 1, 3, and 4 don't match up with their positions on the map. I'm going to go with the positions on the map because the ones you listed don't really make much sense (Motley crew 1 and 3 are in the same space?). Could you clarify later where everyone really is? Making the map bigger would almost certainly help as well.[/sblock]
[sblock=Actions][sblock=Scorching Bust]At-Will
bullet.gif
Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.[/sblock]Ardens grabs his dagger with his minor and uses his standard and move actions to get to H6. He then blows his action point and casts Scorching Burst on J11.

Motley Crew 1: 1d20+5=9 vs Reflex
Motley Crew 3: 1d20+5=10 vs Reflex
Motley Crew 4: 1d20+5=23 vs Reflex
Elf Archer 2: 1d20+5=19 vs Reflex

Dealing 10 fire damage to anyone that is hit.[/sblock]

Ardens Human Pyromancer 1
Initiative +1, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight 18
Defenses: AC: 14, Fort: 14, Ref: 15, Will: 15
HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges/day: 10/9, Speed: 6
Languages: Allarian, Draconic
Action Points: 0

Powers:
Erupting Flare, Scorching Burst, Magic Missile
Burning Hands[], Force Orb, Heroic Effort[], Second Wind[]
Fountain of Flame[], Wizard's Fury

Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Sword Bond

Last edited:

DemonicJester

First Post
An arrow flies from the sky and slams into the arm of Damien. He quickly yanks out the arrow in a spray of blood, as if it were a twig.

The rush of adrenaline just made Damien quicken his senses. He notes a single humanoid barking orders at the little peons around him. He snatches two arrows (more like balista missiles for any other creature) from his quiver and strings them across the bow. He launches the two arrows with deadly accuracy. The pirate captain quick to respond grabs the nearby crew member and uses him as a human pin cushion for the two arrows.

Darn! Damien thought. "Lets see if the lucky human has this much luck without his lackeys around!" he snarls.

[sblock=Actions]Standard) Rapid Shot against Motley Crew i14 and Pirate Captain j14
1d20+7 = 14
1d20+7 = 23, 2d6+4 = 15

Rapid Shot
At-Will
bullet.gif
Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack’s range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls.

Minor) Shift stance to Aspect of the Seeking Falcon[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat block]Damien Bugbear Hunter 1
Initiative +4, Passive Perception: 17+2, Passive Insight 12, Senses: Low Light
Defenses: AC: 16, Fort: 14, Ref: 15, Will: 12
HP: 17/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges/day: 9/9, Speed: 6+2
Languages: Allarian, Hzakan
Bonuses: +1 to attack roles if did not move this turn

Powers:
Aimed Shot, Clever Shot, Rapid Shot
Disruptive Shot, Predatory Eye
Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx , Aspect of the Seeking Falcon selected
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Shouts of battle are last to reach Ixenvalignat's ears, "Xsiol!" He curses, chiding himself for sleeping through Cyrus' alarm. "Why am I always the last to get wind of stuff like this." Fortunately, he slept in his armor, having passed watch duties off to Damien and Cyrus only a couple hours ago.

Shaking off the guilt he heads for the ladder, "I hope, for their sake, that those deevdrui di riikaic are up on their skills or else they'll fall by my blade before I learn their styles." With that, the dragonborn makes for the deck, vaulting rungs on the ladder as he goes.

Late to the party, the smell of salt and blood along with the sights and sounds of a battle already joined stir a visceral response from the dragonkind. As he reaches top most rung, he almost runs over one of the assailing pirate lackeys, who manages a lucky swing at Ixenvalignat's emerging shoulder before realizing his error in stoking the fire of a dragonborn's rage.

Opening his gaping maw to expose draconic fangs, Ixenvalignat lets forth a roar to frighten even the stoutest of heart. The startled pirate soils himself at the sight of the armored warlord wyrm, who, having neglected to draw his sword in his hurry to join the battle, puts the poor lackey out of his misery by closing his jaws on the rogue, piercing his temples.

Ixenvaignat shakes his head like a puppy shaking off water after a soaking swim, and the lifeless lackey's body flails in a spray of blood, falling to the deck as the dragonborn opens his mouth in a roar,

"None of you will get back to your ship alive, and your timbers will burn, now that you've aroused the sleeping dragon!"

The others cower in fear as well. Only the pirate captain and the peon at his side seem bold (or stupid) enough to defy Ixenvalignat.[sblock=Ixenvalignat's Actions]Move: Stand
Move in lieu of Standard: Climb ladder to main deck to G8
OA from Lackey 5: 1d20+6=23 vs. AC for 5 damage
Minor: Dragonfear[sblock=Power Info]
Dragonfearcard.png
[/sblock]Lackey 1: 1d20+7= 16 vs. Will
Lackey 2: 1d20+7= 23 vs. Will
Lackey 3: 1d20+7= 11
vs. Will
Lackey 4: 1d20+7= 18
vs. Will
Lackey 5: 1d20+7= 15
vs. Will
Lackey 6: 1d20+7= 22
vs. Will
Lackey 7: 1d20+7= 26
vs. Will
Archer 1: 1d20+7= 26
vs. Will
Archer 2: 1d20+7= 27
vs. Will (crit BTW. Too bad no damage)
Gnome Anarchist: 1d20+7= 17
vs. Will
All Hit!

I know. I even rolled for the dead ones.

All enemies (even the corpses :p), except for the Pirate Captain and Lackey 5, suffer -2 penalty to attack and grant CA until the end of Ixevnalignat's next turn!

Action Point:
Standard Unarmed Melee Basic Attack vs. Lackey 5
Attack: 1d20+7+2(CA)=21 vs. AC for 1d4+5=7 damage
Oh yeah! He's dead.[/sblock][sblock=Ministats]Ixenvalignat Male Dragonborn Warlord Level 1
Initiative: +0
Speed 5
Passive Perceoption: 10; Passive Insight: 10; Senses: Normal Vision
Draconic Fury: +1 to attack rolls while bloodied
Languages: Draconic, Common
AC: 19; Fortitude; 16; Reflex: 12; Will: 16
HP: 17/22
Surge Value: 5; Surges Left: 7/7
Action Points: 0

At Will Powers:
:bmelee: Melee Basic Attack 1d20+7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10+5 damage

:branged: Ranged Basic Attack 1d20 vs. AC
Hit: 1d4 damage

:melee: Wolfpack Tactics 1d20+7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10+5 damage and one ally adjacent to Ixenvalignat or the target can shift 1 square as a free action

:melee: Viper's Strike 1d20+7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10+5 damage. Effect: If the target shifts before the start of Ixenvalignat's next turn, it provokes an opportunity attack from an ally of my choice.

Encounter Powers:
:close: Powerful Warning
Effect:
The target gains +4 power bonus to all defenses against the attack. The target can make a melee basic attack against the enemy as a free action.

Battlefront Shift

Effect: Target shifts speed on initiative roll

:close:Inspiring Word 1 2
Effect: Target within 5 squares spends healing surge for HS value+1d6 hitpoints
Special: Can be used twice per encounter

:close: Dragonfear 1d20+7 vs. Will
Hit:
Target takes -2 to attack rolls and grants Combat Advantage until the end of Ixenvalignat's next turn.

Daily Powers:

:melee: White Raven Onslaught 1d20+7 vs. AC
Hit: 3d10+5 damage and Ixenvalignat slides an adjacent ally 1 square. Until the end of the encounter, whenever Ixenvalignat or an ally within 10 squares of himself makes a succesful attack, the attacker slides an adjacent ally 1 square.
Miss: An ally within 10 squares slides an adjacent ally 1 square on each successful attack for the rest of the encounter.
[/sblock]
OOC: Summary:

• All enemies except the Captain and Motley Crew #8 suffer -2 to attack and grant Combat Advantage until the end of Ixenvalignat's next turn.
  • Motley Crew #5 is dead.
  • Ixenvalignat takes 5 damage from Motley Crew #5's Opportunity Attack

Last edited:

Darksteed

First Post
Damn this lot makes one hell of a racket.

*He mutters to himself from the hidden position he crouched in. He stands to his full height. Knocking an arrow into his shortbow. He aims and let's fly just as the mighty warlord comes crashing out of the hole to the lower decks and cries his mighty roar. Startling him greatly. TWANG! The arrow flying way way off course and splashing harmlessly into the ocean surrounding both ships.*

What the hell was that?

*He speaks to himself once again, still wide eyed and looking over at the dragonborn as he slips back into the shadows. Obviously not quite used to playing nice with a team, and especially one so noisy as this.*

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Basic Ranged Attack
-Target: Pirate Captain (J14)
-Attack: +9 vs. AC (Miss; 11)

Move: Re-Stealth 32

Free: Quick Swap
-Effect: Stow Shortbow and draw Rapier.

Minor: Draw Dagger[/sblock]

[sblock=Cyrus]Cyrus- Male Khan Executioner 1
Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 15

AC: 18, Fort: 13, Reflex: 16, Will: 11

Initiative: +5, Speed: 6

HP: 26/26, Temp HP:
Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 9/9

Powers-
Garrote Strangle
Poisoned Dagger
Quick Lunge

Action Point [ ]
Assassin’s Strike [ ]
Predatory Eye [ ]
Second Wind [ ]
Sneak Attack [ ]

Carrion Crawler Brain Juice [ ]

Arrows 59/60[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Wish list added to character sheet[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
Round 2: Pirate Attack!

Jesse sends shadows that burst forth on the deck, whipping and lashing out. It grabs onto two of the motley crew, but the shadows merely lick harmlessly

Finnean takes cover by hiding behind the mast. He loads a bullet into his sling and fires it at the elf on the other ship.

Ardens screams at the pirates as a burst of fire appears near the boarding plank on the pirate ship. Two motley crew have to jump aside to avoid the flame burst, while the third motley crew and the elven archer standing behind take the full brunt of the attack. The human pirate drops in a pile and the elven archer

Damien launches the two arrows with deadly accuracy. The pirate captain quick to respond grabs the nearby crew member and uses him as a human pin cushion for the two arrows.

Ixen Climbs up the ladder, and steps into a pirate swinging a cutlass right at him. "None of you will get back to your ship alive, and your timbers will burn, now that you've aroused the sleeping dragon!", roars Ixenvalignat, shrugging off the blow. He then follows that with a counterstrike, dropping the pirate foolish enough to attack the dragon.

Cyrus aims and let's fly just as the mighty warlord comes crashing out of the hole to the lower decks and cries his mighty roar, startling him greatly. TWANG! The arrow flying way, way off course and splashing harmlessly into the ocean surrounding both ships.

Rogar, roused by the call to defend his ship, slams open the cabin door, directly under the wheel house. ”I knew you’d be a comin’! Well, come an’ get it, ye vermin….”. He stops instantly almost as if a dragon itself landed on the deck of his ship. Watching, Ixen then strike down the nearest pirate, he yells, ”That’s the spirit! Come on mates, take it to them!”. He then grips his hammer, lowers his shoulders and charges the closest pirate, crushing his skull.

Jack the Skipper climbs gracefully from the hold, vaulting through the air to land beside the dragonborn, drawing a dagger and launches it towards pirate’s archer near the bow.

Seeing half their number drop, the pirates become more hesitant. The lackey on the gangplank steps forward, and succumbs instantly to the psychic emanations. The last pirate picks up a loaded crossbow stashed by the bulwark. He takes aim at Rogar, fires and inflicts a minor wound.

Both of the archers draw a bead on Ixen, but are shaken to the core by the dragon-man. Their shots missing short, piercing the wooden deck at his feet, quivering.

The diminutive gnome snarls the fires another scintillating bolt towards Ixen, staggering then confounding his mind. He then begins to chant, thrusting a clawed hand towards Jack. Jack slides backwards towards the deck hatch but is able to grab a ladder rung, falling prone. After its attacks, the gnome scrambles more astern behind a crate.

The pirate captain snarls and cries out in an unfamiliar language, which brings another archer from below deck. Raising his arm, the captain fires his hand crossbow at Ardens once missing; reloads and fires again, this time the little dart strikes the mage in his leg. The pirate then grabs the handrail and vaults back down to the main deck, while the third archer takes aim and fires at the dazed dragonborn, hitting it squarely in the chest.

[sblock=Actions] Rogar: moves to M8, attacks pirate (L9); deft strike vs. pirate (L9) (1d20+8=20, 1d10+7=9) hits
Jack: moves to F8, RBA - thrown dagger (1d20+6=18, 1d4+3=7) at elf archer 1 (F12) 7 damage. *prone from saving a fall after being hit by gnome

Motley crew 1: moves to k9 and dies
Motley crew 2: dead
Motley crew 3: k11 RBA vs Rogar (M8) (1d20+6=21, 1d8+1=3)
Motley crew 4: dead
Motley crew 5: dead
Motley crew 6: dead
Motley crew 7: dead
Motley crew 8: dead
Elf archer 1: f11 Fires at Ixen (G8) RBA vs Ixen (G8) -2 to attack (1d20+7-2=14, 1d10+4=10) misses; falls prone
Elf archer 2: fires at Ixen (G8) RBA vs. Ixen (1d20+7-2=18, 1d10+4=11) misses; moves to behind wheel lock, and concealment.
Gnome arcanist: fires a scintillating bolt at Ixen scintillating bolt vs Ixen (G8) vs Fort. if hit dazed (save ends) (1d20+6-2=23, 1d6+4=8) hits 8 damage and dazed (save ends); minor: Startling glamor at Jack if hit Jack slides to G7 and must save or fall and take 1d10 damage. (1d20+7-2=17) hits vs. Will; Jack saves but prone at F8; Moves to M14
Pirate Captain: Minor: call out for reinforcements, fires a hand crossbow at Ardens RBA at Ardens (1d20+9=11, 1d6+4=8) misses, reloads and (AP) fires again at Ardens Action point, RBA vs Ardens (1d20+9=17, 1d6+4=7) hits for 7, then moves to G14
Elf archer 3: emerges from i13 and moves to h12; fires at Ixen (G8) RBA with CA vs Ixen (1d20+7+2=27, 1d10+4=7) hit 7 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain, please read]The Salty Dog
Rogar keeps a tight ship, everything is secured and tidy.
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Masts (E5:E6 and L5:L6): You must squeeze into these squares (Except small sized creatures); provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (N4 and N8): difficult terrain; ascend 5 feet to stern castle; bulwarks ring the perimeter.
Booby hatch (H5:J6): Considered difficult terrain to avoid tripping.

Pirate Ship
(*NOTE: disregard catapults!)
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Mast (H12 not really shown): provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (H11 and H14): ascends 5 feet to fo’csle.
Gangplank: challenging terrain; Acrobatics DC 15 or Athletics DC 15 as part of movement to cross it; If check is failed, immediate saving throw or fall into water (a successful save means falling prone on gangplank)[/sblock]

[sblock=Map]
v1r77.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combatants]
Rogar: M8
Jack: F8, prone
Damien: F6
Cyrus: P7
Ardens: H6
Finnean: E6
Jesse: G6, dazed (save ends)
Ixenvalignat: G8, Bloodied; dazed (save ends)

Motley crew 1:
Motley crew 2:
Motley crew 3: k11 (hiding behind bulwark) (-2 to attacks, grant CA EoNT – Ixen)
Motley crew 4:
Motley crew 5:
Motley crew 6:
Motley crew 7:
Motley crew 8:
Elf archer 1: f12 (hiding behind bulwark) (-2 to attacks, grant CA EoNT – Ixen), prone
Elf archer 2: i13 (hiding behind wheel lock at i13) (-2 to attacks, grant CA EoNT – Ixen), concealment
Elf archer 3: h12
Gnome arcanist: m14 (hiding behind crate) (-2 to attacks, grant CA EoNT – Ixen), concealment
Pirate Captain: g14

Motley crew: HP 1 (a miss never damages a minion); AC 15; Fort 13; Ref 11; Will 11; MBA cutlass: +6 vs. AC; 5 damage.
Elf archer 1: HP 25/32; AC 15, Fort 11; Ref 13; Will 12; RBA shortbow: +7 vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage; MBA cutlass: +5 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Elf archer 2: HP 22/32; AC 15, Fort 11; Ref 13; Will 12; RBA shortbow: +7 vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage; MBA cutlass: +5 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Elf archer 3: HP 32/32; AC 15, Fort 11; Ref 13; Will 12; RBA shortbow: +7 vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage; MBA cutlass: +5 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Gnome Arcanist: AC 16; Fort 13; Ref 15; Will 13; MBA dagger: +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage.
Pirate Captain: AP 1; AC 19; Fort 15; Ref 15; Will 15; MBA cutlass: +10 vs. AC; 2d6+3 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends); RBA hand crossbow +9 vs. AC; 1d6+4.

Ardens: 19/26; HS 9 (+1)/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 healing surge; Status
Cyrus: 26/26; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: Special; Status
Damien: 18/28; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 bonus to some attacks; Status Aspect of Seeking Falcon
Finnean: 24/24; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status
Ixenvalignat: 10/22; HS 8/8; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status Bloodied, DAZED (save ends)
Jesse: 18/23; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefit: +5 temp hp; Status DAZED (save ends)

Salty crew 1: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Salty crew 2: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Salty crew 3: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Salty crew 4: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Salty crew 5: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Braedin: non-combatant; Awake in galley
Jack the Skipper: 31/31; AC 18; Fort 18; Ref 14; Will 14; MBA Footwork Lure: +9 vs. AC; 1d8+7 damage, and Jack can shift 1 square then slide the target into that vacated square.
Rogar: 31/34; AC 18; Fort 15; Ref 18; Will 12; MBA Clever Strike: +8 vs. AC; 1d10+7 damage; If an ally is adjacent to the enemy, Rogar gains CA for this attack.
Whiggans: non-combatant; hiding in crow’s nest
Aziim: non-combatant; hiding below in cabin shared with Jack
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads