[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

treex

First Post
"Easy there friend," Ixenvalignat bounds over to support the struggling tiefling, "Believe it or not, it's actually better to be topside when you're suffering from seasickness. Stay up on the forecastle and keep your eyes on the horizon. You'll start getting your sealegs in not time." The warlord smiles, though he's aware that sometimes it appears to people that he is growling when he does this, "My names Firebyrne. You're Jesse right?" he pauses as Jesse starts to heave, "Nevermind. Lets get you up into the wind, shall we?" Ixenvalingat moves supports Jesse up the ladder and to the forecastle. The wind and the steady plain of the horizon seem to be doing the trick, "Just don't take your eyes off the line where the sky meets the water. You'll be fine."

"Thank you, *wheeze* I'm feeling tons better, now." Jesse mumbled.

Finally empty stomached and able to stand up straight, Jesse gladly followed the dragonborn's lead.

Heading up towards the forecastle, he got to appreciate the landscape for once. The deck was filled with activity, with sailors toiling and pulling at strings.

"Interesting, I always wondered how a ship could sail without magic. I should think about manpower as an alternative during my studies as well"

Determined not to think about barfing anymore, he did as the dragonborn told him to and kept his eyes on the horizon, while keeping his body relaxed.

[sblock=OOC]I'm not too good with these shift things. You guys decide, I suppose. I supposed I'll be best paired with someone with hig damage, low accuracy characters. But that's all I can deduce.[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]1d20=19
Pretty good if I do say so myself :D[/sblock]

Circio

First Post
[sblock=Watch]It's 3 shifts with 2 people per shift, not 2 shifts with 3 per. That said, Damien already said he wanted to run a shift with me and it fits our mutual backstories well to be sharing that shift. Fin said he wanted to shift with Cyrus and Cyrus wanted the second or third shift. Let's give them third shift since Cyrus has low-light vision and a good perception. That leaves Ixenvalignat and Jesse sharing the second shift.

If anyone has any problems with these shifts, speak now or forever hold your peace.[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I'll just say that we'll go with Circio's plan.
First Watch: Damien & Ardens
Second Watch: Jesse & Ixen
Third Watch: Cyrus & Fin[/sblock]

After only a two days at sea, no other vessels are seen. The weather was mild with a nice head wind. Rogar seems competent and the efficiency of the Salty Dog is surprising. The caravel is now approaching the last habitable island in a small archipelago on the western side of the Isle of Opposition (avoiding the isle’s main port Fulcrum and their man-o-wars piloted by corrupt officials).

Maneuvering the ship past some reefs, the Salty Dog drops anchor in a protected cove. Rogar, Jack and a couple of sailors row a six man dinghy to the shore. They return shortly with some barrels of fresh water, some live poultry, and some dried goods to help shore up the half-orc cook Braedin’s larder.

Once aboard, Rogar gathers you together. ”I was talkin’ to me mate an he’s seein’ this magic light wit his own eyes. He was out in his trawler checkin’ his crab traps – disgusting insects”, you actually see the usually taciturn dwarf become a little green in the cheeks. He takes a quick cleansing breath, then continues. ”He said he was no more than a league north and east a the Henge. So unless ye got any ideas, we be headin’ there directly.”. That said, he climbs the stairs to the stern and begins chatting with Aziim, the helmsman.

In no time, the cargo is stowed and Whiggans points the ship in the right direction, occasionally taking soundings. Once safely past the reefs, a course is set for the leeward side of the Isle of Opposition, the long way around the Henges. From there it’s a northeastern route towards the mystical island.

The first night past the northern point of the Henge, while Jesse and Ixenvalignat were on watch, a dim white light, begins to radiate at the horizon line. It may well be lightning from a storm in the distance, but the radiance slowly starts to pulsate. Soft and diffuse it doesn’t seem to be from a natural source. Before you can shout out to the Captain, Jack materializes next to you, hands gripping the bulwark, elven eyes intently scanning the horizon. ”Looks like 40 leagues, maybe more if I read the seas right.”, he says to no one in particular, then backs away and heads to Rogar’s cabin. After a few minutes, Jack emerges and vaults up to the stern castle. Immediately after that, you feel the Salty Dog changing tack heading towards the light.

The next day is uneventful. You continue to pass your time aboard ship as you have the last couple of days. By midday, high cumulonimbus clouds start to drift across the sky, warning of bad weather to come. Late in the afternoon, dark clouds now overhead, Rogar approaches you, ”My man Whiggans, he seen a ship abaft. It’s been there fer a couple days now, hidin’ in the setting sun. If’n it had good intentions, it would have attempted to hail us, but me thinks that’s not the case. More an’ more, pirates be attackin’ honest folk.” The normally gruff dwarf takes on a somber look, one good eye seems to glisten, then hardens again. ”If’n that cutter be pirates, I’m all fer burnin’ her down. Me instincts are a tellin’ me that they’ll be attackin’ soon. I’d say mid o’ night or with the rising sun on the morrow. Whiggans’ human eyes canna see in the dark so I’ll be needin’ some of ye to be the Salty Dog’s eyes. Stay wary.”

[sblock=ooc]Fin and Cyrus make a perception check[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=Mini-stats JIC]Status:
Jesse Tey’un – Tiefling Wizard
Init: +0 Speed: 6
Passive Perception:11; Passive Insight: 16
AC: 15 Fort 11 Ref 15 Will 14
HP: 23/23 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 5 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Elven
Str:8 Dex:10 Wis:13 Con:13 Int:20 Cha:15

Powers:
Ghost Sound
Light
Magic Missile
Phantom Bolt
Phantasmal Assault
Suggestion
Infernal Wrath
Grasping Shadows
Second Wind
(Illusory Obstacles -Spellbook)
Phantom Chasm
(Horrid Whispers – Spellbook)
[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
Round 1: Pirate Attack!

Just before sunrise, the cutter swoops in and attacks the Salty Dog. Rogar had the sails trimmed last night due to the rising winds and thunderheads off in the distance. Apparently the pirate cutter was running dark, as they closed in on the Salty Dog, but due to the diligence of Cyrus and Fin there’s no threat of ambush; you and your companions were not caught unaware. Be that as it may, the pirates were prepared as well.

[sblock=Initiative]
Finnean: 7
Ixenvalignat: 8
Cyrus: 6
Pirates: 10 Pirate's initiative (1d20+2=10)
Damien: 28!
Ardens: 6
Jesse: 19
Rogar: 6 Initiative (1d20+5=6)
Jack: 17 Initiative (1d20+5=17)

Damien and Jesse are the only ones able to act first before the pirates. I’ll assume that as soon as Cyrus detected the cutter, he shouted out to warn the others. Assume everyone else is below deck, prone. I’ll say 2 moves (or double move) to stand and reach the deck, minor to arm yourselves. When you arrive on deck (G6), tell me what square you arrive in.

Jack's turn, he will get up, run to the galley and warn Braedin and the sailors there (he assumes that the PCs heard Cyrus' shout)[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain, please read]The Salty Dog
Rogar keeps a tight ship, everything is secured and tidy.
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Masts (E5:E6 and L5:L6): You must squeeze into these squares (Except small sized creatures); provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (N4 and N8): difficult terrain; ascend 5 feet to stern castle; bulwarks ring the perimeter.
Booby hatch (H5:J6): Considered difficult terrain to avoid tripping.

Pirate Ship
(*NOTE: disregard catapults!)
Entire deck is considered difficult terrain for PCs
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Mast (H12 not really shown): provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (H11 and H14): difficult terrain; ascends 5 feet to fo’csle.
Gangplank: challenging terrain; Acrobatics DC 15 or Athletics DC 15 to cross
[/sblock]

[sblock=Map]
x8wug.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combatants]Locations:
Rogar: Captain’s quarters
Jack: below deck in cabin
Damien: below deck
Cyrus: P5 (cover; behind wheel lock)
Ardens: below deck
Finnean: D6 (cover; behind forward mast)
Jesse: below deck
Ixenvalignat: below deck

Motley crew 1: g12
Motley crew 2: i12
Motley crew 3: k11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Motley crew 4: L11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Motley crew 5: k12
Motley crew 6: h11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Motley crew 7: j13
Motley crew 8: i14
Elf archer 1: f12 (hiding behind bulwark)
Elf archer 2: m11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Gnome arcanist: L13 (hiding behind crate)
Pirate Captain: d13

Motley crew: AC 15; Fort 13; Ref 11; Will 11; MBA cutlass: +6 vs. AC; 5 damage.
Elf archer: AC 15, Fort 11; Ref 13; Will 12; RBA shortbow: +7 vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage; MBA cutlass: +5 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Gnome Arcanist: AC 16; Fort 13; Ref 15; Will 13; MBA dagger: +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage.
Pirate Captain: AC 19; Fort 15; Ref 15; Will 15; MBA cutlass: +10 vs. AC; 2d6+3 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Ardens: 26/26; HS 9 (+1)/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 healing surge; Status
Cyrus: 26/26; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: Special; Status
Damien: 28/28; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 bonus to some attacks; Status Aspect of Pouncing Lynx
Finnean: 24/24; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status
Ixenvalignat: 22/22; HS 8/8; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status
Jesse: 23(+5)/23; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefit: +5 temp hp; Status

Salty crew 1: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 2: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 3: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 4: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 5: non-combatant; manning wheel and rudder
Braedin: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Jack the Skipper: 31/31; AC 18; Fort 18; Ref 14; Will 14; MBA Footwork Lure: +9 vs. AC; 1d8+7 damage, and Jack can shift 1 square then slide the target into that vacated square.
Rogar: 34/34; AC 18; Fort 15; Ref 18; Will 12; MBA Clever Strike: +8 vs. AC; 1d10+7 damage; If an ally is adjacent to the enemy, Rogar gains CA for this attack.
Whiggans: non-combatant; hiding in crow’s nest
Aziim: non-combatant; hiding below in cabin shared with Jack
[/sblock]

[sblock=Cyrus Only]Your special mechanic gained from helping sail the ship is once per round, if either Rogar or Jack are within 2 squares of you and you are attacked by a melee attack, either Rogar or Jack can shift up to squares and make a melee basic attack against that creature as a free action.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]If treex and DemonicJester can post soon i can write up the pirate's actions and post tomorrow morning. I'll be busy most of the day tomorrow celebrating my kids' and my birthdays. 4 birthdays in 9 days, it's like Christmas in April! I'll catch up on Saturday night.[/sblock]

[sblock=treex]Here's the PC icon i used for you.
gyfGj.jpg

[/sblock]

Last edited:

DemonicJester

First Post
Upon hearing the call Damien snaps awake. Like a zealous predator he snatches his bow and arrows and bounds up the stairs at inhuman speed. Hes already notched his bow by the time he reaches the deck and peers across the ship to notice the snarling pirates from the other ship.

Fools! Damien thought Why would the deer walk into the bear's den? And with that he positions himself behind the nearest mast and readies his aim for the impending attack.

[sblock=Questions]Sorry! thought I would get these out of the way in the first place before I made too many important actions.

1) Where is the gangplank to cross? Is it the span of the ship?

2) What is the DC check to climb up the mast?

3) When we arrive on deck can we arrive in any square on the map? Or does it have to be adjacent to the deck entrance (G6)? For the purposes of my first turn I am going to assume the second move action allows us to arrive anywhere on the deck we desire (just correct me if I am wrong and I will edit my actions)[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions]Move Action: Stand up from prone
Minor Action: Arm Damien with Greatbow
Move Action: Move onto deck into space F6
Current Aspect: Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat block]Damien Bugbear Hunter 1 (Approved)
Initiative +4, Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight 12, Senses: Low Light
Defenses: AC: 16, Fort: 14, Ref: 15, Will: 12
HP: 28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges/day: 9/9, Speed: 6
Languages: Allarian, Hzakan
Bonuses: +1 to attack roles if did not move this turn

Powers:
Aimed Shot, Clever Shot, Rapid Shot
Disruptive Shot, Predatory Eye
Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx selected, Aspect of the Seeking Falcon
[/sblock]

Last edited:

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=Demonic Jester]1. Haven't placed the gangplank yet. The pirates are going after yours and treex's turn. Sorry i got ahead of myself (i didn't want to forget putting it in the terrain block next round).

2. I'll say DC 15 to climb up to the crows nest 30-feet (6 squares) up the 45-foot (9 squares) mast. Climbing at half-movement means 2 checks as part of the move up.

3. I should have been more clear about the movement my bad. Move action to stand, move action to move to ladder up, climb onto deck and end turn adjacent to deck hatch (G7).[/sblock]

Last edited:

treex

First Post
Cyrus' voice rings throughout the halls and the adventurers groggily awake. The bugbear, Damien however, bursts forth from the deck hatch like lightning. Grabbing what little gear he had, Jesse had a head start on the others.

He sprints down the hall and up to the deck to find a smaller ship attempting to board theirs!

Jesse steps back to re-think his actions...

"First we need some light..." he said to himself. He spies some movement amongst them, so he decided to light up that area. "Show yourselves!"

[sblock=Actions] Double move to F7.
Minor action: Cast Light on K11[/sblock]
[sblock=Mini-stats]Status:
Jesse Tey’un – Tiefling Wizard
Init: +0 Speed: 6
Passive Perception:11; Passive Insight: 16
AC: 15 Fort 11 Ref 15 Will 14
HP: 28/23 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 5 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Elven
Str:8 Dex:10 Wis:13 Con:13 Int:20 Cha:15

Powers:
Ghost Sound
Light
Magic Missile
Phantom Bolt
Phantasmal Assault
Suggestion
Infernal Wrath
Grasping Shadows
Second Wind
(Illusory Obstacles -Spellbook)
Phantom Chasm
(Horrid Whispers – Spellbook)[/sblock]
[sblock=More Questions]Will their ship move? Will the gangplank move throughout the encounter? They ARE ships, and ships aren't stationary. I'm hoping that these placements will NOT change.

Are we getting an extended rest after this encounter? (Okay ignore this one, I didn't know)
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Oooh, so many stats o_0 Tis so confusing. I wonder if there's any point to waking up the Salty Crew members?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darksteed

First Post
[sblock=Question]Anyway Cyrus can be in stealth before the pirates board as I spotted them before hand? I'll roll it ahead of time so not to slow anything down. If it's a no just ignore the roll. Stealth 26[/sblock]

[sblock=Treex]Must the time you never ever know when you'll get an extended rest. Not a question usually asked. Would kind of beat the suspense if you knew when you get your next big rest up.[/sblock]

Remove ads