[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I can cast Light as a minor action. However it has a range of 5 so I'm not sure if it'll reach them. Can someone tell me how to count range? I'm not too sure if you can count diagonally (I believe I can)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=treex]Range in 4e is simply counted as number of squares distant. Pythagorean adjustments are not made for diagonal trajectories.

Range 5 means that as long as the number of squares counted to the target is 5 or less (along a diagonal or otherwise), you can hit it.

Imagine a square-shaped area 11 squares to a side centered on you (formed by counting 5 squares out from you in any direction). Anything in that area can be hit.

Likewise, the area of light is a square-shaped area 9 squares on a side centered on the target.

This means you can certainly hit K11 if you want. If you do, anything from G6 to N15 (corners of a a square-shaped area) is illuminated.[/sblock]

Last edited:

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Just to clarify I would like to cast it on the square, not the enemy/pirate. This way I can (hopefully) stop them from hiding somewhat[/sblock]

DemonicJester

First Post
[sblock=Treex] Just on a side note jsb said that we have to use 2 move actions to get onto the top of the ship and end our move adjacent to the hatch (as stated in his clarification post.)

You may want to edit your character's position as you are technically 3+ moves from where you started.[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=DemonicJester]Sorry, because I saw the first post and I thought I was to be adjacent to G6, not G7. Edited. Ugh, I feel so noobish.[/sblock]

DemonicJester

First Post
[sblock=Treex]
Its cool I had to edit my post for that exact same reason lol

To answer your question about light, these are the rules from your character sheet.

Target: One object or one unoccupied square Effect: Jesse causes the target to shed bright light. The light lits the target's square and all squares within 4 squares of it. The light lasts for 5 minutes. Putting out the light is a free action. Special: Jesse can have only one light cantrip active at a time. If he creates a new light, his previously cast light winks out.
Thus if you target the square X amount of blocks away (I assume in the pirate ship) then you will illuminate all the blocks in a 4 square radius. This would in effect remove the low light-no light environment and all penalties associated with it (what those are I do not know)[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=DJ]Just double checked your post (hey treex you're standing on top of me, D:)
I believe we have some characters who do not have low-light vision, the humans. Wait a sec, I have low-light vision...that means I could see them clearly. Ugh, now I have to edit so that I actually saw them.

EDIT: Yay, there's nothing in my post that implies I didn't see them. Huzzah for that.[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
[sblock=Darksteed]I’ll say you are hidden behind the wheel lock[/sblock]

[sblock=Treex]You can’t cast light, as your only available actions are to double move the ready yourself I’ll say there is some illumination, dim light on the Salty Dog. I’ll place you at F6[/sblock]

Like an army of ants, the motley crew swarms near the bulwark. A hinged plank is pushed over and slams with a crunch, bridging the gap between the ships, its metal spikes sinking in the Salty Dog’s wooden railing, locking into place. Almost immediately, the pirates jump across and move within striking distance. Two archers, one fore, the other aft, start firing on one not from their ship. A smallish man begins to chant, and a radiant bolt leaps from his hand.

[sblock=Enemy Actions] Motley crew 1: moves to k11
Motley crew 2: move to K7
Motley crew 3: k11 (hiding behind bulwark) set gangplank
Motley crew 4: L11 (hiding behind bulwark) set gangplank
Motley crew 5: moves to h8
Motley crew 6: moves to j9
Motley crew 7: moves to L9
Motley crew 8: moves to j13
Elf archer 1: stands and fires and hits Damien (archer 1 attacks damien (1d20+7=16, 1d10+4=11)) for 11 damage
Elf archer 2: moves to i12; misses Jesse
Gnome arcanist: fires a scintillating bolt at Jesse and hits attacks Jesse vs. Fort. if hits, Jesse is dazed (save ends). (1d20+6=25, 1d6+4=10)
Pirate Captain: moves to upper deck, moves to j14[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain, please read]The Salty Dog
Rogar keeps a tight ship, everything is secured and tidy.
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Masts (E5:E6 and L5:L6): You must squeeze into these squares (Except small sized creatures); provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (N4 and N8): difficult terrain; ascend 5 feet to stern castle; bulwarks ring the perimeter.
Booby hatch (H5:J6): Considered difficult terrain to avoid tripping.

Pirate Ship
(*NOTE: disregard catapults!)
Bulwark: Runs the perimeter of the Salty Dog’s main deck; 3 feet high. Provides cover from ranged attacks.
Mast (H12 not really shown): provides cover against ranged attacks.
Stairs (H11 and H14): ascends 5 feet to fo’csle.
Gangplank: challenging terrain; Acrobatics DC 15 or Athletics DC 15 to cross
[/sblock]

[sblock=Map]
xYkIu.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combatants]
Rogar: Captain’s quarters
Jack: below deck in cabin
Damien: F6
Cyrus: P7
Ardens: below deck
Finnean: C6
Jesse: G6
Ixenvalignat: below deck

Motley crew 1: k11
Motley crew 2: k7
Motley crew 3: k11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Motley crew 4: L11 (hiding behind bulwark)
Motley crew 5: h8
Motley crew 6: j9
Motley crew 7: L9
Motley crew 8: i14
Elf archer 1: f12 (hiding behind bulwark)
Elf archer 2: i12 (hiding behind pirate at i11)
Gnome arcanist: L13 (hiding behind crate)
Pirate Captain: j14

Motley crew: AC 15; Fort 13; Ref 11; Will 11; MBA cutlass: +6 vs. AC; 5 damage.
Elf archer: AC 15, Fort 11; Ref 13; Will 12; RBA shortbow: +7 vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage; MBA cutlass: +5 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Gnome Arcanist: AC 16; Fort 13; Ref 15; Will 13; MBA dagger: +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage.
Pirate Captain: AC 19; Fort 15; Ref 15; Will 15; MBA cutlass: +10 vs. AC; 2d6+3 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Ardens: 26/26; HS 9 (+1)/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 healing surge; Status
Cyrus: 26/26; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: Special; Status
Damien: 18/28; HS 9/9; AP 1; Benefit: +1 bonus to some attacks; Status Aspect of Pouncing Lynx
Finnean: 24/24; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status
Ixenvalignat: 22/22; HS 8/8; AP 1; Benefits: +1 to saves; +1 dmg when flanking; Status
Jesse: 18/23; HS 7/7; AP 1; Benefit: +5 temp hp; Status DAZED (save ends)

Salty crew 1: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 2: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 3: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 4: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Salty crew 5: non-combatant; manning wheel and rudder
Braedin: non-combatant; Asleep in galley
Jack the Skipper: 31/31; AC 18; Fort 18; Ref 14; Will 14; MBA Footwork Lure: +9 vs. AC; 1d8+7 damage, and Jack can shift 1 square then slide the target into that vacated square.
Rogar: 34/34; AC 18; Fort 15; Ref 18; Will 12; MBA Clever Strike: +8 vs. AC; 1d10+7 damage; If an ally is adjacent to the enemy, Rogar gains CA for this attack.
Whiggans: non-combatant; hiding in crow’s nest
Aziim: non-combatant; hiding below in cabin shared with Jack
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]So Jesse, Damien, and pirates have posted their turns. Everyone else can take their actions. I'll catch up tonight.[/sblock]

treex

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Light is a minor action...is it not? I'm quite sure I checked. Will post actions after clarification.[/sblock]

Remove ads