• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

jsb420

First Post
Reef(er) Madness – Round 5

[sblock=Previous Rounds]For reference:
Reef(er) Madness Round 1 & HERE
Reef(er) Madness Round 2
Reef(er) Madness Round 3
Reef(er) Madness Round 4 [/sblock]

Ardens appears unfazed by the tentacles sprouting from the swarm. After all, as long as he stays out of reach, what does he care how many arms a creature has. Seeing an opening as the tentacles busy themselves attacking Finnean and Cyrus, Ardens blasts the creature with another wave of searing flames.

Jesse from the back lines, felt quite safe. He decided to help the front lines, which seemed to struggling with the brute force of the Craud Crusher. Instead of casting a spell however, Jesse went into fits of coughs. As he stood straight, blood was trickling from his mouth. "Ugh, still in bad shape. Better get further." he thought. He hobbled along, stumbling once or twice, blood dripping from his chin.

Ixenvalignat lolls lifelessly in the claw of the oversized crab, unconscious, but still breathing (barely).

"NOOO LITTLE ONE DON'T DIE ON ME!!!" He shouts as he bounds to Finn's side and clutches the tiny halfling in his arms. He gingerly pours the potion down his comrades throat with surprising dexterity considering his paw is twice the size of the potion.

Still in the grasp of the crusher, Finnean decides the best course is to try to keep Cyrus up. He reaches into his pocket and grabs his own healing potion, which he drinks down. He then, even more carefully dislodges himself from the claw of the crusher, landing gently on the ground dislodging the last of the swarm from his body.

Cyrus shrugs off the surge of pain that the swarm of shrimp caused to him before lunging forwards once again to slash out at the Craud Crusher.

Seeing Damien run past and hop atop a higher chunk of exposed coral, the last craud impaler makes good of an opening and swipes at Ardens.

The craud crusher hisses through its carapace, angered by its meal’s (A.K.A. Finnean) escape. It tries to crush Cyrus with its claw.

[sblock=Enemy Actions]Craud Shrimp Swarm: dead

Craud Impaler 1: dead

Craud Impaler 2: dead

Craud Impaler 3: Move from V10 to W11; Standard: atk vs. Ardens: HITS for 6

Craud Impaler 4: fled

Craud Crusher 1: Standard: atk vs. Cyrus: MISSES

Craud Crusher 2: dead

[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain, Please Read]Coral Atoll (whitish area): firm ground, not difficult terrain; if knocked prone, that PC takes 1d4 damage in addition to any other damage.

Coral Mounds (C7: D8; G10:H12; J10:L11; U7:V8; Y10:Z11; AB10:AC11): considered difficult terrain.

Submerged Coral (light green area): Consider one FULL square adjacent to the Coral Atoll to be underwater and difficult terrain, this also applies to the area between the two coral atolls. Depth ranges from 1 to 2 feet of water.

Deep Water: Beyond one square from the coral atoll is a 20-foot vertical drop to the sea floor.

Swimming:
Swim or Tread: (as part of movement): DC 10 (calm waters) If swimming north or south, every 2 squares of movement towards the coral atoll will slide you 1 square to the east. If swimming to the west, you can only move 1/4 speed. If swimming east, double your swimming movement.

Success: you swim half your speed

Failure (by 4 or less): you can’t swim any further as part of a movement action, but you are treading water
Failure (by 5 or more): you can’t move any further and you sink 1 square.

*NOTE: The sea grass becomes thicker as you move away from the coral atoll. The DC to swim increases by 2 for each square beyond the start of the Deep Water (EX: DC 10 - 1 sq away from the Submerged Coral; DC 12 - 2 sq away, etc).

**NOTE: There is no Athletics check to climb up onto the difficult terrain of the Submerged Coral areas.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Map]
0QKPf.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combatants]Locations:
Finnean: T8; BLOODIED
Ixenvalignat: T7; BLOODIED; Unconscious (MADE Death Save - no improvement)
Cyrus: S8; BLOODIED
Damien: X9
Ardens: X10
Jesse: AB8

Craud Shrimp Swarm: dead
Craud Impaler 1: dead
Craud Impaler 2: dead
Craud Impaler 3: W10 (on atoll)
Craud Impaler 4: fled
Craud Crusher 1: S7 (in water; difficult terrain)
Craud Crusher 2: dead

[sblock=Notes on Aquatic Combat]*Any power that has the keyword FIRE takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls. Damage rolls are unaffected. NOTE: the target must be in the water for this penalty.

*While swimming or submerged: -2 to melee attack rolls with non spear-type melee or ranged weapons or crossbow-type ranged weapons.
[/sblock]

Craud Shrimp Swarm: Swarm Attack Aura 1: at the start of the craud swarm’s turn it makes a MELEE basic attack against each enemy it is adjacent to it; HP 0/56; Resist half damage from melee/ranged attacks; Vulnerable 10 to close/blast attacks; AC 17, FORT 15, REF 15, WILL 14; MBA Swarm of Mandibles: +7 vs. Ref; 1d6+4 and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).
Craud Shrimp Swarm:
[sblock=pics]
zXhV3.jpg
No7fk.jpg
[/sblock]

Craud Impaler: HP 51; AC 17, FORT 15, REF 15, WILL 13; MBA Claw: +8 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage;
Impaler 1:
Impaler 2:
Impaler 3: 44/51; Impale
Impaler 4: fled
[sblock=pic]
ldlTP.jpg
[/sblock]

Craud Crusher: HP 70; AC 15, FORT 16, REF 16, WILL 15; MBA Claw: +9 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage and grabbed (until escape)
Crusher 1: 7/70; Hammerclaw; BLOODIED
Crusher 2:
[sblock=Escape]Action: Move action
Acrobatics DC 16
Athletics DC 16
Success: escape and shift 1 square[/sblock]
[sblock=pic]
2bGYZ.jpg
[/sblock]

Finnean: 17/24; HS 4/7; AP 1; Second Wind; Ardent Surge; Potion of Healing; Status ESCAPED Grab; SAVED vs. Ongoing; MADE Death Save
Ixenvalignat: 0/22; HS 4/8; AP 1; Healing Word: 1, 2; Potion of Healing; Status BLOODIED; Unconscious (MADE death save - no improvement)
Cyrus: 10/26; HS 8/9; AP 1; Potion of Healing; Status BLOODIED; Ongoing 3 damage (save ends – missed last turn)
Damien: 17/28; HS 8/9; AP 1; Potion of Healing; Status Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx
Ardens: 15/26; HS 9/9; AP 1; Potion of Healing; Status
Jesse: 12/23; HS 7/7; AP 1; Potion of Healing; Status
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darksteed

First Post
[sblock=Jesse]Could you activate first this round and take out the Crusher with a well placed Magic Missile? I believe your MM deals 7 damage. I could be wrong no time to look that up currently. That would open up Finnean and Cyrus to move around the Impaler gaining some needed CA for Finnean to sneak attack.[/sblock]

Circio

First Post
[sblock=jsb]Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but didn't that last impaler flee?
Good shot Circio! Swarm is dead an impaler fled...
At the point when you said this, there was only one impaler left on the field. The one that hit me this past turn and is currently in melee with me, so I assumed this guy was gone.

Also, I should be at 15 HP, not 10. I was at 21 HP before that last attack and I was just hit for 6 damage.

I'm going to wait for a response before I take any actions since it obviously makes a fairly big difference whether that impaler is there or not.[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
OOC: Circio: you are correct sir about your hp (damn copy paste issues). changed in Round 5 post.

Craud Impaler 3 fled in Round 4. Finnean was fighting impaler 4, then moved to aid Ixen leaving it behind to attack you.

There are only two enemies currently remaining (Crusher 1 about to be MM by Jesse)

Circio

First Post
OOC: Thanks for the clarification jsb.

I'm going to wait in melee until Fin acts, who will be waiting for Jesse to act. That way, Fin can come up behind the impaler and get combat advantage for sneak attack

treex

First Post
"SPADOW!" Jesse yelled as he flicked a Magic Missile at the Craud Crusher. Thin silver streaks fly through the air and impales him solidly in the chest.

Jesse felt triumphant as the large beast fell, but still wary while his insides are still a squishy mess.

His potion by his hands, he wonders if someone else would need it more than him. A jolt of pain shakes away some hesitation, but the tiefling still wonders about his comrades.

[sblock=Actions]Magic Missile @ Craud Crusher
7 Force Damage, no rolls[/sblock]

OOC: Summary:
  • Craud Crusher dies by Magic Missile
  • Jesse wonders if he should let someone use his healing potion

Last edited:

jsb420

First Post
OOC: Spadow: Tiefling-to-Common translation: "Have at you, rapscallion!"

Crusher is dead. With luck you guys can take down the last Impaler this turn!

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: As Finnean has yet to use an action to stand since being knocked unconscious, unless Finnean crawls (and takes the penalties for remaining prone), he won't get CA this turn. Would someone else benefit from the CA more than me?

Circio

First Post
OOC: Finn could always stand and charge. That said, it's either you or Cyrus that would benefit from it. The only other melee we have is Ixen, and he's kind of out of commission right now.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: Finn could always stand and charge. That said, it's either you or Cyrus that would benefit from it. The only other melee we have is Ixen, and he's kind of out of commission right now.

OOC: Nope. Finn is a hybrid, so he can only use sneak attack with Rogue powers, MBAs don't count.

Remove ads