Adventure Group Names

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
In my last few campaigns we have had:

• The Sign of Four
  • The Oath
  • The Fearless Manticore Killers, who became. . .
  • The Keepers of the Gate

And my current group has been calling itself,

• The Scions of Thricia

Other groups I have been a part of included, "The Hand of the North" and "The Company of the North Wind".

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I'd let it come naturally, in time. The best names work that way. And let the players work on the problem, too -- after all, it's their group name.

Of course, doing that, you get some silly names. In my longest running 3e campaign, the party called themselves the Goonies more often than anything else. The group that played through the Age of Worms chose a name for themselves when they went through the gladitorial combat adventure -- they signed up for the melee as "Klobo's Hobos" and the name stuck (one PC was named Klobufus, Klobo for short . . . . not a great name, but it oddly suited him).

-j

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
The players call themselves the Kingmakers, as they act as an elite mercenary/espionage group that works with political factions as free agents.

Mallus

Legend
Confederacy of Dunces.
Nice!

On current 4e adventuring company is known by several informal names: Artichoke's Ar*eholes (after our quasi-leader Captain Artichoke), the Just-Us League (after our resemblance to a team of 3rd-rate superheroes), and the Radiant Seed of Justice (which no one except me likes, since it's a euphemism for my paladin's semen).

Drkfathr1

First Post
The group I DM for are called the "Company of the Horn", named after slaying a minotaur at low level and then carting its head around. One of their early patrons had it stuffed and had the horns gilded in gold.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
We are 'A Band of Traveling Minstrels'

We'd used this terrible cover to break into places, sneak into places, carry out assassinations, and generally cause havoc...in pretty much every campaign and every group I've ever played with.

It took us some 20-odd years, but we finally made a group of characters that actually WERE a band of traveling minstrels.

Of course, we became the King's honor guard, but we were also promptly cursed with a quasi-undead state that caused us to slowly rot, and so we all lost most of our Charisma score. Obviously, our Perform skills got really sucky at that point!

Coyraven

First Post
Our current party had contracted a disease that slowly made them vanish.

A nemesis adventuring group had hired street criers to spread the news about us "Vanishers".

My pc paid off the street criers to change it to the "Vanquishers", and our group name was born.

CR

WampusCat43

Explorer
Our PbP group has a druid (me) with a large ape companion (Rheis) that frequently tears things limb from limb. We occasionally refer to the group as "Six Men and a Monkey". The giblets he serves up are called "Rheis' Pieces".

There's a long list of clever team nicknames in the AoW thread on Paizo's boards, for the aforementioned Champion's Games.

sjmiller

Explorer
Since I started playing D&D back in the late 70s, only once have I had a group give their characters a group name. That was back in the early 80s, and we were playing AD&D 1e. We were going through the Giants series of modules, and had a gnome illusionist with a wand of frost. He used this wand as often as possible, and against the fire giants it was most effective. That is how the group got the name: The White Dragons of the North. It later evolved into The White Dragon Adventuring Club.

Now, I have had groups of players name themselves, but that is different. My current group is called the Curmudgeon Gamers, mainly because we are all getting older.

As others have said, don't try and force it. If it's important the name will come to the party naturally.

As an example, in a 2nd edition game we finally named ourselves after the first group of big bad undead we defeated. Our name:

Three dead trolls and a banshee.

Remove ads