Adventure Group Names

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Addendum to previous post. I was reminded that there was a "group name" for one of my groups in the past. The "Wild Bunch" taken from the movie of the same name, and also had similar results. ;)

Had many, many groups in 27 years of gaming. None of them ever had a name like this.

If they are referred to as group, it's "Whoever is the Leaders"'s Company.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
This is a trend I tried to foster in my 4th Ed campaign, but it fell flat. I introduced a group of adventurers called "The Company of the Black Lantern". Although they were impressive NPCs, the PCs never decided to give their group a name.

In my 3.5 campaign, the group banded together behind a gnome cleric of Garl Glittergold named Fnipper. They named that group "Fnipper's Fine Fellows".

Other than that, it hasn't happened. I would love to have a game where the PCs band together in a company or organization.

Ydars

Explorer
To be clear; my adventuring group did not choose their name "dead and buried"; it was given to us by the DM (in game via the patrons of the Yawning portal).

I must confess that I often name companies adventuring when I DM as well; after all, NPCs have to call the collective group of PCs something.

carmachu

Explorer
Our Bard is a glory hound....SO he's been running around where ever we go saying "Its Vastur Caine and company...."

And it stuck. At first the rest of us didnt like it, but on further reflection, we decided to let it stand. It lets him have hsi glory, and if things go bad, he becomes the lightning rod......:D

Set

First Post
The only group that I've played in that had a group name was in Al-Qadim;
the Lions of the Desert.

But in online games, we use guild names all the time. I've been in guilds with names like;

Ebonlore
Domination
Nomadic Brotherhood
Einherjar
Gnomish Marine Corps
Royal Order of the Drunken Ferret
Ork and Beans

Switchblade

First Post
Never really had a group name in DnD, we’ve tried but nothing was ever agreed on.

I did lumber a Shadowrun group with “forlorn hope” as the GM after one too many high collateral, high profile bloodbaths with a high PC turn over. From that point on they started getting the missions they deserved as no Johnson would bother hiring them for anything involving tact, subtlety or cunning.

neg

Explorer
Names

It seems that I am the one that names our gaming groups. If I don't come up with something...the group never gets a name. In most cases it is organic, and any time it is forced, the names are horrible and mocked mercilessly.

A recent one was "Dragon Dogs" based off a DM description of a creature in our very first session. "It appears to be some kind of dragon...or a dog....it's really small". We killed it and skinned it and made a tabbard. That lead to us yelling "Dragon Dogs ride!" whenever we had to leave on horseback. Corney and good fun. The DM hated it and we were TPKed soon after....

My most successful was "The Sometimes Six". This is in a long running Hackmaster campaign where we had six players to start, and that count has shifted up and down since then. There are 3 core players and a few others who join in when available. So Sometimes we are six. The Sometimes Six is well known in Garweeze (default setting of Hackmaster), having fought many giants, a dragon, drow, and visited the City of Brass. We are escaped slaves looking to stop a war on a campaign scale, and profit as much as possible doing it.

"The Sometimes Six" was also the name of our guild in World of Warcraft. All of the Hackmaster players and GM started playing and it seemed the obvious and best name for our guild. Though some of us have gone seperate ways, the guild lives on.

I also named our Rock Band II band name. It seemed only right after all, I AM the lead singer. Surely you have heard of us? "Truck Stop Whores?" Ah, but that is another tale for another day....

-neg

buddhafrog

First Post
I've never given a name to an party. The game I'm runny now, however needs a name.

The PC's party of 3 is playing in a world under gradual attack from the outside with the permission of the King and ruling class in exchange for keeping their ceremonial roles in the new kingdom to come. The PC's oppose this, and have wrecked havoc across the land. They have been chased into the last major city that is ruled by free and rebellious leaders. When they enter the city, I want them to hear people whisper their party's name - a name that unbeknown to them, others have been spreading.

I want my players to like the name, so I told them last night to tell me their name. They are debating it. Making their own name is only moderately appealing to them, but once they realize that it was actually made by others spreading (and exaggerating) their exploits, I think they'll like it.

Remove ads