Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The group thanks the sentry and steps out of the door to the Crystal Mug into the bustling street. In the daylight things look very different. The walls loom above rickety buildings, some three stories tall and jammed together like so many apple crates in the corner of a ship's hold.

The crowd is overwhelming. People bumping shoulders as they pass, and carts barely mindful of pedestrians, commanding those unaware to get out of the way before they are trampled underhoof.

The band of adventruers makes their way back the way they came, down the winding cliff path to the sunken port with its horseshoe-shaped wharf interrupted by numerous piers that reach out into the harbor like long, spindly fingers.

Immediately, they recognize The Gail, still anchored in port. They also find Fargo standing on the end of one of its gangplanks speaking with a human who appears to be communicating something urgent. The man's eyes shift from side to side as if mindful of some other pressing matter and his gesticulations are wild and hurried.

Presently, the conversation finishes, and Fargo, upon seeing the company, bounds over, "Ahoy laddies!" His eyes go wide at the sight of the wizard, and he's obviously aware that the group is missing two, "Aye seeyee might've 'ad a ruff night'o'it. No?" he laughs nervously..hopefully, "Ye've arned quitey repitation ye'ave. Man tells me ye busted up some thieves. Good wark! Talon & Rujie OK?"

The Riardon assures the hearty dwarf that Talon and Rujah are fine. They're just testifying and they are detained on account of duty. Fargo looks relieved, and it shows that he genuinely cares for the welfare of those who he has come to respect over the long trip, "Well, Gaorg thar jus' put in, an'ee tells'o ole Brastrix is makin fahr part t'night. If'n'ee catches me landside that'll be th' end'o'ole Fahrgo an'th' Gail. We've got some bisnuss in M'libri, an'Aye figure while'ee's 'ere, we'll be there. We're puttin' out soonas sails c'n'unfarl."

Rirardon's mind processes, and continues to process for some time (The dwarf's accent is quite thick). Comprehension finally dawns, and Riardon's mouth opens in worry. He explains to Fargo that they cannot leave immediately. Talon and Rujah are detained, and they have a lead on Hankel's whereabouts that they must track down.

Fargo nods, "If'n'ee can't go withus, then we'll retahrn in three weeks time. We'll meet ye at th'Mug. If'n'ee arn't thahr we'll make fahr Arkus' ole lighthouse. Ye can't missit."
Fargo waddles over to a sandy spot on the ground just off of the wharf and draws a rough map of the continent of Avenroc. The continent looks like a rather ugly lady with a beehive hairdo. To complete the odd image, Fargo mentions that the dwarves referred to the continent as The Old Lady. There appears to be a large river flowing inland from an area around the lady's belly. Fargo points, "This is the Fluss," he winks, "In Davik it means bahrth c'nal." He points upstrem, "Rioc Parvel, be som'ere up 'ere, bu'ole Arkus never let a soul come up that way," Fargo shrugs, "All th' ships put in 'ere," he points to the northern bank of the river delta where the Fluss empties out into the ocean, "Thahr's'a lighthouse an' keep on th'nahrthern bank o'th' delta. She's a hundahrd yeers outah sahrvice, so she's in pretty bad shape. If'n I don' see'yee a'th'Mug in three weeks, I'll sail dahn'ere an' take a looksee at th' lighthouse. For'ee find Rioc Parvel, get'er lit, an' I'll know t' come aftahr'ee upriver."

The group shakes hands with Fargo. Fargo addresses the Mervin as he takes the wizard's hand, "Ye're witha right bunch'o grand men. They'll 'ave yahr back shore. Keep ye're aye on thahrs fore me." He winks and turns for the ship. Mervin, however, does not release his grip.

"Mr. Fargo, before you go, could you help us out. We came across this knife while we were in the thieves' den and it has some runes on it." Fargo, in quite a hurry, congenially pulls his hand free from mervin's grip, turns and bounds toward The Gail. Over his shoulder, he shouts "When's m'tahrn, Aye'll show'ee m'powahr!" With that, he scurries up the gangplank, barking orders to the dwarves on the deck.

[sblock=Translation]Presently, the conversation finishes, and Fargo, upon seeing the company, bounds over, "Ahoy laddies!" His eyes go wide at the sight of the wizard, and he's obviously aware that the group is missing two, "I see you might have had a rough night of it. No?" he laughs nervously..hopefully, "You've earned quite a reputation, you have. That man told me you busted up some thieves. Good work! Are Talon & Rujah OK?"

The Riardon assures the hearty dwarf that Talon and Rujah are fine. They're just testifying and they are detained on account of duty. Fargo looks relieved, and it shows that he genuinely cares for the welfare of those who he has come to respect over the long trip, "Well, Gaorg, there, just put in, and he told me that old Brastrix is making for this port tonight. If he catches me ashore, that will be the end of old Fargo an The Gail. We've got some business up in Milibri, and I figure while he's here, we'll be there. We're putting out as soon as our sails can unfurl."

Rirardon's mind processes, and continues to process for some time (The dwarf's accent is quite thick). Comprehension finally dawns, and Riardon's mouth opens in worry. He explains to Fargo that they cannot leave immediately. Talon and Rujah are detained, and they have a lead on Hankel's whereabouts that they must track down.

Fargo nods, "If you can't go with us, then we'll return in three weeks time. We'll meet you at the Crystal Mug. If you aren't there we'll make for Arkus' old lighthouse. You can't miss it."
Fargo waddles over to a sandy spot on the ground just off of the wharf and draws a rough map of the continent of Avenroc. The continent looks like a rather ugly lady with a beehive hairdo. To complete the odd image, Fargo mentions that the dwarves referred to the continent as The Old Lady. There appears to be a large river flowing inland from an area around the lady's belly. Fargo points, "This is the Fluss," he winks, "In Davik it means Birth Canal." He points upstrem, "Rioc Parvel, is somewhere up here, but old Arkus never let a soul come up that way," Fargo shrugs, "All the ships put in here," he points to the northern bank of the river delta where the Fluss empties out into the ocean, "There's a lighthouse and keep on the northern bank of the delta. She's a hundred years out of service, so she's in pretty bad shape. If I don't see you at the Crystal Mug in three weeks, I'll sail down here and take a look at the lighthouse. Before you find Rioc Parvel, get the lighthouse lit, and I'll know to come after you upriver."

The group shakes hands with Fargo. Fargo addresses the Mervin as he takes the wizard's hand, "You're with a right bunch of grand men. They'll have your back for sure. Keep you're eye on theirs for me." He winks and turns for the ship. Mervin, however, does not release his grip.

"Mr. Fargo, before you go, could you help us out. We came across this knife while we were in the thieves' den and it has some runes on it." Fargo, in quite a hurry, congenially pulls his hand free from mervin's grip, turns and bounds toward The Gail. Over his shoulder, he shouts "When it's my turn, I'll show you my power" With that, he scurries up the gangplank, barking orders to the dwarves on the deck.[/sblock] Riardon is still trying to translate Fargo's cryptic accent as he shakes the dwarf's hand. He scratches his head, Who's Brastrix, and why is Fargo so afraid of being caught ashore when he gets here?

With Fargo no longer around to answer questions, he and the rest of the group turn their attention to finding what they came down to the docks for in the first place.

Riardon quickly finds a vendor who produces a nice looking javelin and swears that it's magical, "This one is a beautiful specimen, imbued with the power of straight flight and deadly force. I recovered it from a sunken merchant's vessel just around the cape up here. There were other items too, and they fetched a mighty nice price. Normally I'd be willing to part with this one for no less than four hundred gold pieces, but for you I'll give it to you for three hundred"

[sblock=Riardon]The javelin possesses no runes or script of any kind, though it is ornately decorated and even (though unlikely that the peddler recognizes it) sports decorative fixtures of white gold.[/sblock][sblock=Arcana DC 25]The javelin is not magical at all, but the vendor himself emits an aura of having dealt with the arcane arts.[/sblock][sblock=Dungeoneering DC 15]The woodwork on the weapon shows absolutely no sign of water damage, and it is extremely likely that the last time this javelin was submerged in water was when the metal on the tip was quenched at the forge.[/sblock][sblock=Insight DC 20]This man is lying through his teeth, but he's not stupid. He might know how to get a real magical weapon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Question: was that guy a dwarf, and if so, could we have asked him to read the runes before he left?

arcana: 14 (natural 1, btw)

dungeoneering: 11

insight: 17

Ok, well guess I won't be reading any extra text today! :)[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"Looks good on first glance. May I try it out before buying?" Riardon asks, holding the javelin.

[sblock=OOC]
Arcana, Dungeoneering, Insight (1d20+12=21, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=9)

Not sure for what the checks were, but could I do a carcana check to identify, or could Mervin do it.

-----

Everyone in 20 sq around Riardon gets a +2 to initiative.
When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 18 Insight: 13 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 18 Reflex 17 Will 16
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 49 / 49 Bloodied: 24
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:11 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Opening Shove
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst, Double SW

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=BB]LOL. You're right. The arcana check was for Riardon(+12), Mervin (+13), and Gensai (+12), but hey. I would accept a crit from Fenwick as a success ;).[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Rolls]
Arcana 29
Dungeoneering 16
insight 14
[/sblock]

Gensai stepped close to Riardon and whispered, "My master, this item is certainly a fake."

Speaking at normal volume, he continued, "I suggest we find a merchant with better wares. This man does not have the quality of weapon you seek."

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I'm going to check the wiki to see if Mervin holds the record for the most consecutive skill check failures in an adventure ;).[/sblock]

Remove ads