Adventure: Long Arm Of Lauto, Obolus. (DM: CaBaNa, Judge: by covaithe

modest

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Ok so no one went for a heal check yet. I'm going to roll a death saving throw and hopefully, stand up! Stay positive guys, fights not over yet.
1d20 → [1] = (1) Roll Lookup well..soon might be haha :-S[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 6, partial

Cyr finally hauls himself out of the pit, and makes up for lost time with a dazzling flare of radiant attacks in all directions. Issa and one of the bandits crumple to the ground, and both Myri and Elalaran take damage as well.

Silphyus crackles with energy as his curse on Issa activates, filling him with power, which he directs towards Elalaran with all the skill of his many lifetimes. It blasts the rogue, and steals his vitality, reviving Silphyus considerably.

Kryath, seeing Issa fall, turns and aims his blast north towards Elalaran. It isn't his best effort, but to his surprise the rogue succumbs to the effect, stumbling away....

[sblock=ooc]Corrections: Silphyus resists 5 necrotic, so he took 5 less damage from Cursebite.

Cyr climbs out, finally. R17 is ok. Perception doesn't reveal anything new. Hand of Radiance hits Myri and Issa for 8 each; Issa drops, Myri is bloodied. Silphyus gets +1 for Fate of the Void. Cyr uses an AP for another round of Hand of Radiance; Misses Myri due to concealment (which pins her Reflex down at 16), but hits Elalaran and Bandit 2. The latter drops, the former takes 6 damage.

(Slightly out of order, since I don't think it affects anything) Silphyus hits Elalaran with Vampiric Embrace for 16 damage, and gains 5 temp hp. I'll assume you use Fate of the Void here, since it's lost otherwise. He spends an AP for Second Wind, bringing him to 18 and no longer bloodied.

Issa is dead by the time Kryath acts, so I'll apply his attack to Elalaran. 13 vs. Fort hits, surprisingly, for 9 damage. Now, here's the part where I wish I'd been slightly more on the ball with the interim updates. Kryath hits with dragonfrost, which allows him to push Elalaran 1 square north or northeast. If he does so, it clears the way for Aurak to shift adjacent to Ibram (R8 instead of R7), and use Lay on Hands this round with his unused minor action. Then Ibram gets a round's worth of actions, instead of failing a death save.

It wouldn't be fair of me not to allow you a chance to make these moves, especially since a PC death might be at stake. But since it would involve changing your stated actions, and spending daily resources, I'm going to pause the update here and get confirmation from you before proceeding. So here's where we stand as of right now:

• Cyr has gone.
  • Silphyus has gone.
  • Kryath has spent a standard action (dragonfrost on Elalaran, which hit) and needs to decide 1) where to push Elalaran to, and what to do with his move and minor actions. I'm guessing you may want to change the move.
  • Aurak has made a standard action (miss with enfeebling strike). He has a move and a minor left, after Kryath goes.
  • Ibram hasn't yet acted
  • Rocco hasn't yet acted

Sorry to pause mid-round like this, but, as I say, there might be a death at stake, so it's best to take our time and get this right.

[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]

• Myri 43 damage, cursed by Silphyus, 5 ongoing cold (se), bloodied
  • Issa dead
  • Elalaran 67 damage, bloodied, divine challenged, -2 to attacks TENT (Aurak), cursed by Silphyus
  • Bandit 1 dead
  • Bandit 2 dead
  • Bandit 3 unharmed
  • Ibram -2/30 HP, 9/11 surges, cursed by Issa, dying, prone, 1 failed death save
  • Rocco -1/31 HP, 10/12 surges, dying, prone
  • Silphyus 18/28 HP +5 temp, 8/9 surges, +2 def tsnt
  • Cyr 16/22 HP 7/7 surges, cursed by Myri, in the pit
  • Kryath 26/26 HP, 8/8 surges
  • Aurak 6/27 HP, 10/11 surges, bloodied, cursed by Myri

Resources Used:
  • Cyr: AP, Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes, Blades of Astral Fire
  • Ibram: Majestic Word x2, Thunder's calling, second wind
  • Rocco: AP, second wind
  • Myri: shadow jaunt, AP
  • Issa: shadow jaunt, AP, Cursebite
  • Kryath: Ice Javelins, breath weapon, Ray of the Moon
  • Aurak: Lay on Hands x1, Divine Strength, Valorous Smite
  • Silphyus: AP, second wind, vampiric embrace
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy stats]Myri and Issa: Reflex at least 14 but no more than 16. AC <= 19.

Human bandits: AC <= 24, Reflex <= 19

Elalaran: AC <= 18, 21 >= Reflex > 11, Fort <= 13, Will <= 17
[/sblock]

[sblock=map and terrain notes]
forest06.png

Squares that are more than half covered in vegetation are difficult and lightly obscured terrain. Entering such a square costs 2 squares of movement. Creatures in obscured terrain have concealment, and if there are five or more squares of obscured terrain between you and a target, that target has total concealment from you.
[/sblock]

so, Aurak heals Ibram which then moves and heals Rocco? Or Kryath can do that if he has healing potion. *checks Rocco's sheet* Rocco doesn't have healing potion. And it would be amusing to feed him alchemist fire in mistaken assumption :devil:

Cyr will use his covenant on the next non-minion that hits any of his companions within 10 squares

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Anyone with good Heal check if there are no healing potions to go around?

I reviewed our less then stelar tactics and list our 'misses':
one round delay because of thrown javelin
one leader in front not retreating behind defenders
bad luck with DM criticals
most of second round wasted on misses
defender with low will going too much forward
bad luck with our striker
controller going in close and wasting two rounds

not using encounters and actions points when there was chance (I should have on first attack on Issa before her teleport, maybe she wouldn't shoot Ibram down)

I hope we can learn from this for the next one. NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T CRITICISM, I INCLUDE MY OWN MISTAKES AND BAD LUCK IN THE LIST IN HOPE WE DO BETTER IN THE FUTURE

thaco

First Post
Kryath steps next to Rocco after blasting his foe, pulling out a potion.

[sblock=ooc]
Ok,push to Q8, move to W8, draw potion [/sblock]

CMoss

First Post
[sblock=oooc]
Ok, move, shift to where Elaran was and Lay on Hands on Ibram - heals him for his healing surge value, I lose one.

Reason I threw the javelin was that someone (Ibram?) that an enemy was circling around the north.

One other thing to add is that we didn't focus out attacks on one foe, which we need to do to quickly take down foes. I also don't know if any of us expected at least 2 elites, maybe 3 in one fight.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Then I just need a set of actions for Ibram, who starts this round prone, and we'll be good to go.

[sblock=second-guessing tactics]Agree with the need to focus fire. You guys had Myri down to almost bloodied, then started splitting your attacks between Issa and Elalaran, leaving Myri alone.

Disagree with the defender-with-low-will getting out front being a problem. Rocco has been effective; I've been having to take extra attacks and damage to get off the attacks I want to make.

Likewise, I don't think you guys would have been helped much in this fight if Ibram had hung back. He's been able to use all of his healing resources, and after that, he's built for melee, so he's gonna have to get close eventually.

The javelin turned out to be a bad call under the circumstances, though I can see the reasoning why you did it. I've been tempted into similar errors before with my defender. Aurak seems to be built around a big Divine Challenge; gotta get into melee and use it quickly. Similarly, there was one round where Aurak charged Elalaran from 5 squares away, but neglected to DC him, despite having a minor action free. IIRC, Elalaran went around Aurak and hit Ibram on his next turn. But if Aurak had DC'd, he might have gone down first instead of Ibram. Possibly not an improvement, in this fight. Bottom line, there were opportunities for Aurak to affect the fight differently, but it's not clear that different choices would have been an improvement, in this case. It's a tossup, as far as I can see.

The dice haven't been on your side in this fight, true, but you can't really control that. That's bad luck, not a tactical mistake. The only significant tactical mistake I can see has been a lack of focused fire.

[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Well, I'm not happy with the way I handled it. The idea behind Rocco switching targets was to get away from Myri (because of curse extra damage) and get some cover (Issa was behind trees/bushes) - once I was close others could handle Myri and Elalaran since she was going away only once (teleport - didn't know they got APs)

I have a question: what happens if I roll 20 on non-first death check? Do I still get to spend healing surge or that is strictly on the first one?

Remove ads