Adventure: Long Arm Of Lauto, Obolus. (DM: CaBaNa, Judge: by covaithe

OOC: CMoss, slow down, maybe someone else wants to aks additional questions. No time now, willl edit in few hours, sorry

Deva listens impassively and nods at the admission of lack of knowledge and again with aknowledgement of paralel threads of investigation.

"Is there anything you can tell us about the circumstances surrounding the dissappearance or about the priest we're about to question? And what's his name? Also, is there a way to agree up front for healing on request in exchange of part of the loot instead of negotiating at the moment there might be need for it?"

Cyr collects one of the stacks from the table and awaits the answer.

"Thank you."

Turning to subordinate priest
"You may proceed."
OOC: do you know halfling never said his name :) I'd like to call him servant, but Cyr is unfailingly polite, so no go.

As they walk to the chapel Cyr reflects how his fate always leads him into gods reach.

Coming in moment too late to open the talks with the priest, Cyr nods and adds
"And anything about two shadar-kai, however insignificant it may seem."

He looks at the priest to gauge his feelings toward the group and then his sharp eyes sweep the chapel for any out-of-place details. Especialy those that would indicate that fight happened here.
Insight; Perception (1d20+10=16, 1d20+10=23)

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
"That was very informative. Take us to the priest in question then."

Rocco collects the gold and orders the halfling. He then turns to Belingras
"Thank you for your time, reverend father."

OOC: what skills for the challenge? Are these two different challenges?

The halfling sneers at the dwarf, but steps to the door and opens it.

"Ok, so we need to find an Obulus and bring it back to you. Some Shadar-kai will need to be talked to? I'm pretty good at talking to people." the dragonborn declares.

He'll ask the way to the
Chapel of Obolus.

Once there, the dragonborn will look for one of the priests once there.

"So, the High Priest asked us to come here and help you out, it seems he's heard rumors that the Obulus, whatever that is, has gone missing. Maybe you can give us a bit more information?" Aurak asks, his voice sweet and inviting.

ooc - using Diplomacy - 1d20 9=22

Zis vay to the Chapel of Oboluz. Ve vill zpeak more on the vay. Says the halfling as the Aurak exits the room.

OOC: CMoss, slow down, maybe someone else wants to aks additional questions. No time now, willl edit in few hours, sorry

Deva listens impassively and nods at the admission of lack of knowledge and again with aknowledgement of paralel threads of investigation.

"Is there anything you can tell us about the circumstances surrounding the dissappearance or about the priest we're about to question? And what's his name? Also, is there a way to agree up front for healing on request in exchange of part of the loot instead of negotiating at the moment there might be need for it?"

Cyr collects one of the stacks from the table and awaits the answer.

"Thank you."

Turning to subordinate priest
"You may proceed."
OOC: do you know halfling never said his name :) I'd like to call him servant, but Cyr is unfailingly polite, so no go.

As they walk to the chapel Cyr reflects how his fate always leads him into gods reach.

Coming in moment too late to open the talks with the priest, Cyr nods and adds
"And anything about two shadar-kai, however insignificant it may seem."

He looks at the priest to gauge his feelings toward the group and then his sharp eyes sweep the chapel for any out-of-place details. Especialy those that would indicate that fight happened here.
Insight; Perception (1d20+10=16, 1d20+10=23)

The two shadar-kai were mid-level priests, they joined at the same time according to our records. They were guarding the Obolus at the time of it's disappearance, and haven't been seen since. As for healing services, we can't give discounts on services just for contracting with us. That is why you were given the up front portion of your reward, to alleviate those costs. Thank you for taking on this task, it is of utmost importance to the people of Daunton. Oh, his name is Nerve, he's jumpy so please go easy on him.

[sblock=OOC]

I know the halfling has never given his name, it is actually part of his character.

He's been in more than four separate L4W adventures and never given his name. Everyone kind of hates him, that's why I like him so much ;)

Kamotz wants to eat him, with a side of potatoes.

[/sblock]

The little halfing leaves the party without so much as a good-bye as soon as the dragonborn address' Nerve.

The priest guarding the closed door to the Chapel of Obolus looks rather nervous about the approaching dragonborn, Ah yes, I'm so glad... the priest pauses as he watches the rest of the group catch up, and swallows hard, the investigation has begun, if I have to guard this door one more day... He pulls a kerchief from his robes and wipes the nervous sweat from his wide and large forehead. I'm Nerve, well my real name is Charley, but everyone calls me Nerve. the rotund human waddles toward the door, and places a key in the lock. Opening the doors reveal a massive room, in the center a raised dais is obviously missing it's center piece. The room is circular, and there are no corners. Four alters are placed at compass points in the room. Marble on marble seems to be the Motif. Cyr notices the north altar is ever so slightly off center.

I didn't know them very well, the shadar-kai, Myri and Issia were their names. They scared me more than most, had an awful way of sneaking up on you. Very unpleasant. The odd thing isn't that they disappeared, it's that The Guardian disappeared. The Guardian would never allow the Obolus to fall into harm, or out of the Temples hands... a new sheen of sweat coats the priest. It all happened when Slardazial was trying to raise the catacombs, terrifying day, the shadar-kai twins told me to guard the door... I stood there he indicates where he had been before entering the room, They went in to calm The Guardian, it was making terrifying noises, like someone was stealing the Obolus. Then it went silent. I kept guarding the door, until the next watch came, and when they opened the door, the twins, and The Guardian and the Obolus disk had all disappeared. Sweat was now pouring over the priest, the constant kerchief dabbing, doing diddle to slow the flow.

[sblock=OOC]

Diplomacy Success (Priest is going to give more information that before.)

Perception Success (Cyr notices the secret door under the north marble altar) Also, no indication of struggle or fighting can be seen.

[sblock=Skill Challenge]

Skill Challenge; Find the disk of Obolus, or Learning Lauto's loss.

2 Success
0 Fail out of 3

Cyr and Aurak have gone, Rocco, Alissa, and Kryath up.

This challenge is completed in stages, once you reach a threshold of success, you'll be rewarded. Failing at any point will end the skill challenge and the party will receive only the rewards they earned up to the point of failing.

Rewards will be revealed after the completion of the challenge, either by success or failure. (That doesn't mean that rewards won't be given during the challenge...)

@Neurotic This is only one skill challenge, it just has two names ;). Any skill that you RP will be appropriate to use.

[/sblock]

[/sbock][/sblock]

Last edited:

thaco

First Post
As Aurak rushes away, Kryath looks to the others "He'sss in quite the hurry... comesss in late and leavesss early, what an odd sssort" the dragonborn says, as he nods goodbye to the high priest and follows the others out.

*****once at the Temple of Obulus****

Kryath begins looking over the room, searching for mundane clues was not his forte, but the sorcerer had seen many magical effects in his travels of the Isles, they were a part of him. Kryath searched for any residual magical effects that may have been used to remove the disc or disrupt the guardian enough to steal it.

[sblock=ooc]
Use Arcana to see if there's any ritual/magic used here to spirit the disc away

1d20 7=26[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
The heavy residue of mystic salves hangs all about the room, rituals have been performed over and again within these walls. Magic permeates the air, but nothing seems amiss. Moreover, the disk has left an almost invisible magical trail to the northern most altar, it is barely their and fading as minutes pass.

The portly priest wrings his hands causing the kerchief to puddle water droplets at his feet, Please find the disk, I couldn't sleep all night knowing it missing, and with everything else that's happened... the man stares at the floor like a scorned puppy.

[sblock=OOC]

There is no signal that magic was used to spirit away the disk.

The arcana check is neither a success nor a failure, it will however bestow a +2 to tracking once during the skill challenge. (Any skill used to track the disk.)

[/sblock]

"There is secret passage under northern altar. They must have taken that way out. It's worth a look at least.

Do you know where does it lead, Nerve?

Also, what would it take to make the Guardian follow the item instead of fighting the takers?"

OOC: no rolls just letting others know about secret passage

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I don't like the fact that I need to track Shadar-Kai. However, the names are unfamiliar and if I have to guess there would be two possible reasons for this. First, some kind of initiation ritual, proving of skill. Another, they want it for our mother goddess, which would strenghten her position on the islands.

You said they were priests. Did you see them do divine magics? Heal?

What manner of creature was The Guardian? Could he be subverted or even made to guard the artifact while it's taken away?"

Rocco walks around the room, carefuly tracing imaginary path of guardians from the centre to northern altar and then looks closely for some kind of mechanism to open it.

Perception (1d20+7=16) - for tracks
Thievery (1d20+1=20) - for the mechanism

OOC: Since MetaVoid ninja'd me, I guess perception is out except for some small clue. Rocco knows general shadar-kai history, but is not religious enough to really help in that regard.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
"There is secret passage under northern altar. They must have taken that way out. It's worth a look at least.

Do you know where does it lead, Nerve?

Also, what would it take to make the Guardian follow the item instead of fighting the takers?"

OOC: no rolls just letting others know about secret passage

The priest looks as if he's about to answer when Rocco breaks into rhetorical monologue.

"I don't like the fact that I need to track Shadar-Kai. However, the names are unfamiliar and if I have to guess there would be two possible reasons for this. First, some kind of initiation ritual, proving of skill. Another, they want it for our mother goddess, which would strenghten her position on the islands.

The priest thinks about how Tomner insisted guarding the Obolus was a cake walk, and curses him for his bad judgement. The sacred tunnel was called into existence by Lauto's senior ritualists. It leads to the cities edge, and the safety of the Obolus. Nerve seems calm while he recites the manual from memory. Recently it's led to the Overgrowth. Nerve's cheeks turn red as he begins to embarrass himself. The distance from the forest to the city has been negligible there, so that's where the sacred tun...

Rocco interrupts the priest with another set of questions.

You said they were priests. Did you see them do divine magics? Heal?

What manner of creature was The Guardian? Could he be subverted or even made to guard the artifact while it's taken away?"

Rocco walks around the room, carefuly tracing imaginary path of guardians from the centre to northern altar and then looks closely for some kind of mechanism to open it.

Perception (1d20+7=16) - for tracks
Thievery (1d20+1=20) - for the mechanism

OOC: Since MetaVoid ninja'd me, I guess perception is out except for some small clue. Rocco knows general shadar-kai history, but is not religious enough to really help in that regard.
the priest continues to move as far away from Rocco as possible while answering the dwarf. No we're really just here to make sure other apprentice don't sneak out the back way, to... you know... in the Overgrowth. Young men and all. the priests face was more red than before now having to spell out his position to the group. No one could steal the Obolus, as The Guardian wouldn't allow it. The Guardian is Obolus protector, The Guardian is the darkness in which Obolus hides, The Guardian is the arms which cradle the Obolus. The priest calms once again in reciting his canon. The Guardian is the creepy black thing that fills most of the room, it would be a squeeze for it to get through the sacred tunnel. The Guardian has only one purpose, and that is to keep the Obolus safe and in Lauto's possession. The priest is sure of the words, and seems to be sweating less, though he continues to stay toward the opposite side of the room from Rocco.

[sblock=OOC]

You guys are getting priority right now, even though my posting has been a bit slower than I had originally planned on.

My character have been getting way less love than you guys, so please bear with me while I get used to my new schedule.

Oh, I got a promotion, and that has doubled my hours, it shouldn't affect anything in the long run. Short term however I'm still working out how my schedule runs.

@Neurotic; The thievery will be a success when we move on by the way.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=OOC]
I like how you described Rocco, jumping in the middle of the sentence with his questions. Now for the other part in which he calmly asks the priest to continue his description of the sacred tunnel :) Little unhinged, this Rocco, turns out to be, hey?
[/sblock]

Rocco, satisfied with his observations stops his nervous demeanor and stands up straigh, standing calm and speaking calmer.

"And you find it strange that Guardian allowed priests to take it out? He's supposed to guard it from being stolen, not from being handled by priests of Lauto, no?

Would you be so kind and finish the description of sacred tunnel? And the area of Overgrowth it leads to? Thank you."

[sblock=OOC]
Congrats on promotion!
[/sblock]

Deva watches with some consternation as dwarf badgers poor priest.
"Ease up, Rockslide. We'll find out whole story sooner if you stay quiet and LISTEN instead of talk.

Please continue, brother."

Then he watches again as dwarfs demeanor changes completely with some wonder thinking
"Wow, this one really is something to introduce change in this wary old soul. Fate knows."

Remove ads