• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG (dpdx judging) COMPLETED

Manzanita

First Post
The city guard glances dismissively at Charlyn. "We need no cleric to get to the truth. The truth is always known in the courts of Monemvassia. Justice will be done." He turns to Kim. "Mr. Tensil, would you please accompany me. I know you are a busy man, but King Crassus is particularly interested in this silver. He thinks the only way it could have been stolen was by a betrayal within the city. He's taking this case very seriously. We'll give you a few minutes to give some last instructions, then you'll need to accompany me back to the guardhouse."

Kim looks quite concerned, but nods and waves them on. One trots off, the others start to put the top back on the crate of silver. Kim walks to the doorway of his warehouse and waves the party over, as well as Grod and Botha.

Telebryn is stable and regains consciousness, although, like Irene, he would be useless in a fight. As the party approaches, he gives some logistical orders to Botha, then turns to the party.

"This is very bad news for me." He glances back at the watch to make sure they can't overhear him. "Under King Jara, the sword of truth could be counted upon to compel everyone to speak truely in the court of law. It was a gift from the Dwarves, you know, a most powerful and useful magic item. But, ah, some say the new King no longer possesses it. Although he has one that looks like it, many rumors claim it now only works upon his whim, not on the unbiased truth." He glances around again. "Some say Prince Julian stole it when he disapeared soon after Crasses took the throne. He felt his uncle had somehow induly influenced Jara to pass the crown to his brother Crassus instead of his son Julian. In any case, my position is tenuous."

"Listen. You say it was this 'Jezibel' who raided my warehouse. And that you found her with my wagon when you killed those goblins. And that silver was supposedly looted by goblins. Do you think there might be a connection? If you could track her down, perhaps we could get the real story. Do you think you could help me? If I am exonerated, I would be deeply in your debt."

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
"Listen. You say it was this 'Jezibel' who raided my warehouse. And that you found her with my wagon when you killed those goblins. And that silver was supposedly looted by goblins. Do you think there might be a connection? If you could track her down, perhaps we could get the real story. Do you think you could help me? If I am exonerated, I would be deeply in your debt."

Nurlan nods. "Of course. We are still your servants, and we will do what we can. And if nobody else does, I have full confidence in your innocence." It takes a leap of faith for him to convince himself of the last part, but he will act as if it is true.

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn is barely able to get to his feet, his body still under extreme duress from his injures in the many fights of the day. As Nurlan offers his support to their employer he nods, though he thinks to himself, Now that we have found Irene, I kinda wish we could just leave Monemvassia behind us. I don't know if I can take much more of this punishment.

Gurdjieff

First Post
"I'm sure this is what Jezibel meant by taking care of Kim. She said that to me before I escaped. They also have a safehouse here in the city somewhere, where they wanted to take me. We should find Jezibel as soon as possible."
Irene talks to the group in a soft voice, trying to make sure the city guards don't hear her. "There were more boxes on her wagon, probably also filled with silver. Another reason for finding that if you ask me."

Turning to the guards, Irene asks: "Who tipped you off that the silver was here? Also, is the silver retrieved enough to make up for all the silver that was stolen? As we intercepted the thugs before they were done, I would believe the answer to the second question is 'no', and to the first question probably one of Jezibel's goons."

Thinking to herself, Irene figures that Kim will probably be founded guilty whatever evidence they bring, as the city guards are just as corrupted as anyone else in this town it seems. Maybe she should go for the silver and leave this town... after she had a word with Jezibel.

Manzanita

First Post
In response to Irene's question, the city guard says "We have many sources that tip us of criminal activity. Of necessity, they remain secret. As for the stolen silver. You're right, there was more than this, considerably more."

Kim says. "Thanks for your support. You can't image how hard it is to get trustworthy help around here. I don't think Jezibel will stay long in this city, and you three shouldn't stay around long either, with the charges against you. I would suggest you get out of town and perhaps recruit some help against the goblins. I can give you a wagon, some supplies and some cash. Do you know any more about where the goblins might have taken the silver they stole? That may be where Jezibel would go."

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
Kim says. "Thanks for your support. You can't image how hard it is to get trustworthy help around here. I don't think Jezibel will stay long in this city, and you three shouldn't stay around long either, with the charges against you. I would suggest you get out of town and perhaps recruit some help against the goblins. I can give you a wagon, some supplies and some cash. Do you know any more about where the goblins might have taken the silver they stole? That may be where Jezibel would go."

Nurlan is a little surprised to hear Kim repeat, in front of the City Watch, his previous advice that they jump bail. But he ignores that implication, and speaks to the other part of the suggestion. "Naturally. Fighting goblins is what we came to this city to do. As for where their hideout might be... we may be able to find some information." I wonder if that halfling we met drinking his sorrows down is still in town, he wonders, or whether we'd be able to locate him.

Turning to Irene, he says, "I think we ought to discuss everything a little more. You obviously learned something from Jezibel that may be useful, and we picked up a little information while you were abducted. Perhaps together we have the pieces of a puzzle."

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Manzanita said:
/snip/
Charlarn whispers back, "Do you have any idea where we can go? We're new to this area and don't really know anyone around here. Or do you think it is safe to stay here again tonight. We're not in any condition to fight anyone. As far as the goblins, we might have a couple ideas as to where they are. Is there anything else you need?"

Manzanita

First Post
Actually, Kim would have made sure the city guards wouldn't have overheard him giving the party the advice about skipping town. He's retreated with you to just inside the warehouse doors again...

"You can stay tonight at the warehouse, if you like. And I can tell Botha to put whatever equipment you need at your disposal, within reason of course. Beyond that, I should tell you, I suppose, that I do have er...connections with the theives guild. You said the guild ambushed you and wanted to capture Jezibel. Perhaps she is working against them somehow and is taking it out on me. I can probably find out more details about this with a little time. Perhaps I can even work to have the charges against you dropped."

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn adds to the discussion about the goblins, "That little halfling gave me a map that his group had made of where the goblin hideout is. He did warn me though that they are very well prepared and outfitted and that most of their group died fighting the goblins."

orsal

LEW Judge
Erekose13 said:
Tenebrynn adds to the discussion about the goblins, "That little halfling gave me a map that his group had made of where the goblin hideout is. He did warn me though that they are very well prepared and outfitted and that most of their group died fighting the goblins."

"Right, I recall overhearing him saying there had to be a more powerful force behind them -- he didn't think goblins themselves would be that organized. Do you think tonight's intruders could be part of that more powerful force?" Nurlan's mind is racing with the implications of this. If Jezibel is in league with the Jebli, she wasn't really their prisoner. That may be why she doesn't seem so grateful to them for "saving her life".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads