• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) Slaying the Dreamer [Judge: Uriel]

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Fant sits at the other end of the table, opposite from Janos, and looks at the map, thinking hard.

"I can't say I much like the idea of pretending to be a slave- nor do I like the idea of leaving my equipment out in the woods." Her hand drifts unconciously towards the hilt of her sword, then back to the table. "What are the disadvantages of a simple, straight-on assault? If local mercenaries could be obtained- and if we charge the going rate for hazardous missions, we could get ten men for as little as six gold pieces- I see no reason why we couldn't do that. Although that would be best combined with a slave-plan, or somehow getting inside. They open the door, and then after that it should be easy work." She looks up at Janos. "That depends on the contructs, to a degree. How difficult will they be to overcome?"

Edit: can't seem to view the map- could you e-mail it to me? zipped, preferably.

Last edited:

Janos Audron

Explorer
[Thomas, mailed]

"I don't know why you favor a frontal assault if deception can potentially give greater results with less risk... The problem I see with a frontal assault is that you might have to face four guards and two constructs at once. Though the guards aren't very competent and I think you are able to handle the constructs one at a time, I think it's quite hard to face them all at the same time. When you are slaves, you are able to pick your battles and that will work to your advantage. The last problems with a frontal assault is that the wizard will be awake and might prepare himself for a final stand and that you won't have time to secretly look for evidence."

"I don't like the idea of hiring local mercenaries. They might plunder or destroy his house or do a thousand things I wouldn't like. You, on the other hand, will not do any such things, I am sure."

"Jack, the house has only one chimney, though it has many fireplaces, I don't think entering through the chimney is possible, but if it is there will no doubt be an Alarm spell. The house doesn't have a lot of windows, but I figure they too are trapped."

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Janos Audron said:
"Jack, the house has only one chimney, though it has many fireplaces, I don't think entering through the chimney is possible, but if it is there will no doubt be an Alarm spell. The house doesn't have a lot of windows, but I figure they too are trapped."

"Do you know how those alarm spells work?" Jack asks, "If we have a way to dispel one or two of them, I can footpad my way into that house easy-like. Maybe let everyone else in through a back door... or a least case the joint to find out who's with what's where."

Janos Audron

Explorer
"An alarm spell guards an area and it can either ring or give a mental alarm to the caster. Anyone who knows the password can pass without triggering the Alarm."

"I can give you a scroll of Dispel Magic for, say, a hundred gold pieces, but then you still need someone to cast it and I see no one here capable of casting arcane spells..."

"I have heard that some really experienced thieves are able to disarm an Alarm spell in six seconds, without triggering it. I don't know how experienced you are, but can you do it?"

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Janos Audron said:
"An alarm spell guards an area and it can either ring or give a mental alarm to the caster. Anyone who knows the password can pass without triggering the Alarm."

"I can give you a scroll of Dispel Magic for, say, a hundred gold pieces, but then you still need someone to cast it and I see no one here capable of casting arcane spells..."

"I have heard that some really experienced thieves are able to disarm an Alarm spell in six seconds, without triggering it. I don't know how experienced you are, but can you do it?"

"No, not me," Jack admits, "I never learned any magic but the smoke and mirrors hand trick type. Maybe there's another way...

"The thugs and the maids must know the password, otherwise they'd be tripping the noisemakers everytime they went out to the market. Awfully annoying to a wizard at his studies, that, I'd suspect. We could always catch one of them, and... *AHEM* ...'convince' them to share the password with us."

Janos Audron

Explorer
[Jack, you can find alarm spells and disable them, though it just takes two minutes, so what's the problem??]

"I think you are right about them knowing the password, so what if they say that the password is "divinity"? Are you gonna trust them? You can not know if they tell the truth...tripping an Alarm ruins the surprise. But if you have a fool proof way of telling whether or not they are lying, then I'd say go for it."

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Janos Audron said:
[Jack, you can find alarm spells and disable them, though it just takes two minutes, so what's the problem??]

Janos Audron said:
"An alarm spell guards an area..."

[Metagame]From the SRD, "Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space"... The Alarm spell will be tripped before we get anywhere near a door or window.[/Metagame]

Janos Audron

Explorer
[Check the area of a Glyph of Warding. In the description of Disable Device it says you can disable a GoW (I imagine this is without triggering it). I see no reason why you cannot disable an Alarm without triggering it.]aaa

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhip, not liking the idea of being sold into slavery. In his land, there are slaves, and many people are movesd to be slaves because they displeased the gods. In his land, they mark out the ranking tattoos with black bands. Tattoos are permanent. and cutting his hair to the lenth of a slave he's not about to do! "I'm sorry, but I can not and will not become a slave. I have done nothing to this point where the Goddess would force me to undertake such a task. This wizard has to get supplies, no? which is the closest village or market to this wizards abode? We can fond our way in without erivokably staining ourselves and our honor." He frowns at the man who looks to 'free' the slaves. Who is he to fight the will of the gods?

Remove ads