• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) Slaying the Dreamer [Judge: Uriel]

Mithreander

Explorer
That descision madfe, quickwhip stands up, adjusts his sword and heads towards the door. "Which way is this place, or will you be providing transpertation once more?"

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
Fant nods in assent. "Aye, we should scout the place out. Although that's quite the curious list of needs, Jack."

"Simple enough, Miss," Jack begins to explain, "Before we go in proper, we test the trap with a mulligan... Give a big old puppy dog a sniff of dead rat, then toss it on over to the doorstep, like. If the dog's big enough to trip the trap, then so's I. Also, we get to hear whether the trap'll make noise or not, see? Wait to see how quick those guards come poking around, eh?"

"And even so, the same trick'll make a good distraction, if we wanna break in sneaky-wise."

Mithreander

Explorer
QUickwhip nods at the assessment of the mans plan and says (dispite his want not to) "That, my fellow, is an excellent idea. It's good to have someone who can think in abstract ways on this trip. It'll help."

Quickwhip opens the door, looking beyond it. "So, which way?" seeing that the hall beyond the door leads in two directions.

Janos Audron

Explorer
[Jack, I have no idea how you are supposed to disarm an Alarm spell, just as I have no idea how you are supposed to disarm lvl*5 sq. ft. of GoW without triggering it...I think it's more a mechanics than a make sense thing...]

Janos, now that you have seemed to reach an agreement, doesn't get up yet. "There are some things I have to clear up.", he says.

"Lady Fant, I will simply not hire any local mercenaries, and that is the end of the discussion. Further, I hear you talk about Golems, but fortunately I am certain that these constructs are not Golems. These things are smaller and not immune to magic, to name just a few very obvious differences."

"Jack, theoretically, you could use a Silence spell to negate the Alarm, but because Dravin can't cast it, that solution is rather useless...it seems that, if you really want to go in unnoticed, you have to disable them yourself."

"Also, you seem to be operating under the delusion that this wizard lives in a tower, while it is more like a huge house."

"Jack, your plan to collect animals really isn't necessary. Anything as big as a cat triggers the alarm. Besides, testing would take away the element of surprise. The most logical thing would be that the three traps on the outside doors made noise: the guards have to be able to hear it to respond to it. The doors inside might be a different case, but I am not sure about that. Two guards are always prepared, the other two, depending on the hour might be prepared, and you can expect two of them within twenty seconds. Also, you have to remember that, unless you want to ambush a slave, you have to open the door once you have triggered the Alarm before you can get inside."

"Quickwhip, it will be a short walk, since I am out of Teleportation spells."

[And Mith, actually there were stairs behind the door, but I'll change it :)]

"Quickwhip, to the left, through the door and up the stairs, or you could just follow me. I imagine we can discuss the last details during the trip."

The hallway itself is empty, with here and there some magical illumination. Janos takes one of these candles and take it with him. He then walks up to the ironclad door opens it. After climbing the stairs, you end up in a small room of which Janos opens the door. Both doors didn't have apparent locks, and for a moment you wonder why anyone would place a heavy door without a lock, but then you realize that for a wizard, keys aren't necassary to lock a door.

The late evening sun burns red in the sky. Once you step outside and look around, you see a small house behind the building which gave access to the basement. Janos may know some powerful magic, obviously he hasn't spent his wealth on his home. The house itself stands in the middle of a small clearing of the forest. Some paths are visable, and Janos beckons you to follow him. Behind you, the door closes itself.

Janos takes you into the forest, which, although isn't really dense, is quite dark. With the sun disappearing behind the horizon, it grows steadily darker, but Janos seems to know the way, and his torch gives enough light to clearly see one another.

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhip follows the mage out while asking "Surely the wizard needs supplies for such a large household? If that's the case, I would think it more conveniant to send someone else to get them? Could we not 'talk' to this person to aquire what we need to get inside?" He continues walking, wondering when the group will be on their own. He does not trust this mage and he wonders if he'll have a chance to talk to the others in peace before they did anything brash.

"Oh, and I think we agreed to 100gp to investigate this issue for you? We have started so when can we expect to get paid?" Quickwhip hopes that the man gives him a reason to draw his sword, though the act would probaby be folly against one such as this mage. He really did not like the man, though he could not say why.

Janos Audron

Explorer
"Quickwhip, of course the wizards sends servants to bring in supplied. If he had left the house, he would have been dead already and I wouldn't need to you kill him. And like I told Jack, there is no reliable way to 'talk' to someone. You don't know whether or not they speak the truth untill you try it, and if they lied, you have a problem..."

"You will get your hundred gold pieces when I think you have gone through enough trouble to earn them. I know he's guilty, if you return too soon witout evidence, you obviously haven't searched enough."

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhips sword appears in his hands and against the mages neck in an instance, a scowl across his face "You first accuse me of being dishonorable, and then state once more that we will not get paid UNLESS we find him guilty? In the same sentence it seems!" Quickwhips breathing is steady, his brown eyes gaze never wavering, waiting for the wizard to 'reconcider' his words.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Her budding plan discarded, Fant follows the wizard, not saying a word. Her mind is pouring over what information she has, but it's really quite useless until she has more information- information which, if all goes well, she is about to gain.

She is, of course, quickly snapped out of her reverie by Quickwhip's sudden violent action. Very calmly, she puts a gauntleted hand against the greatsword's edge and begins pushing it away from the wizard's neck. Her gauntlet, she knows, will provide little protection if the warrior chooses to actually apply force, but she thinks she has a good enough read on the man to indicate he won't. And if not, well, there's a cleric nearby.

"Calm, man. He implied no dishonor, and although his words were poorly phrased I have little doubt he'll pay us for the investigation. Besides, for a man so reluctant to kill someone on little evidence, you're awfully quick to draw steel." Fant herself was less than pleased at Janos' tone, but she had enough sense not kill their employer, who, incidentally, doubled as their way home.

Last edited:

Janos Audron

Explorer
[Too late...]

Janos raises an eyebrow as he looks through the corner of his eye at the sword, and he drops the torch.

"Lady Fant, I can handle the brute, thank you."

Janos turns his head to Quickwhip. Instead of seeing the expected fear in his eyes, you see hatred.

"What the hell do you think you are doing!? I haven't called you dishonest and I haven't said that you *have* to find him guilty. Either you are plain stupid or you are just looking to pick a fight. And if you want a fight, then give it all you've got. No sense in dying when you haven't showed what you're really worth huh?"

Janos smiles, as if he had just scored a victory on Quickwhip...

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Janos Audron said:
[Jack, I have no idea how you are supposed to disarm an Alarm spell, just as I have no idea how you are supposed to disarm lvl*5 sq. ft. of GoW without triggering it...I think it's more a mechanics than a make sense thing...]

OOC: Yeah, that's kind of my point... From Jack's point of view he's trying to figure out some alternatives for breaking into the mansion. Unfortunately, there seem to be extraordinarily few options.

Janos Audron said:
"Jack, theoretically, you could use a Silence spell to negate the Alarm, but because Dravin can't cast it, that solution is rather useless...it seems that, if you really want to go in unnoticed, you have to disable them yourself."

"Mr. Dravin says he could use a magical scroll, should one become available, Mr. Audron. Are there any preistly scribes here about?"

Janos Audron said:
"Also, you seem to be operating under the delusion that this wizard lives in a tower, while it is more like a huge house."

"I beg your pardon?" Jack simply wonders how Janos came to that conclusion, and what bearing it could possibly have on breaking into the building.

Janos Audron said:
"Jack, your plan to collect animals really isn't necessary... ...you have to open the door once you have triggered the Alarm before you can get inside."

Jack opens his mouth to respond, but never quite gets the chance...

Mithreander said:
Quickwhips sword appears in his hands and against the mages neck in an instance...

Instead, he just sits back and waits patiently for the conclusion of the confrontation. He idly wonders how far away the Forest of Ar is, and makes a mental note to himself to ask one of the locals for directions at the earliest convenience... Just in case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads