• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: The Power of Knowledge (DM: Fragsie, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Mikara is rather squishy, so if possible, a potion for her would be nice, but I won't be grabby until everyone else gives their input. [/sblock]

Tinwe

First Post
Shane focuses his memory, trying to recall half-forgotten shrines he visited with his fellow priests of Apoli.

"Down this street? I think? I remember there were older shrines this way, but for the life of me I can't remember their names."

[sblock=mechanics]
Streetwise (1d20+3+2=23)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
Gowl's keen senses and passing knowledge of architecture lead the erstwhile into the centre of the cove that houses Daunton. Here in the underbelly of the busy city; known as the Commons, all manner of peoples hustle by one another. Peasants and courtiers rub shoulders as they make their way from shop to shop, sailors and artisans mingle in the streets hawking their wares from ramshackle stalls.

The adventurers find a relatively quiet spot and take a moments rest to consider their next move as Brother Shane tries to recall the locations of shrines he may have visited before. While the priest is sifting through his memories, Skalisss and Mikara notice what looks to be an elderly cleric snoozing in a chair next to the entrance to a blacksmiths yard.
After Skalisss gently rouses the large fellow (he looks as though he could have been a fearsome fighter in his heyday), who though slightly confused at first eventually listens to the duo's inquiry.
With plenty of praise from Mikara and earnest entreaties from the dragonborn, Gellon (as the octogenarian holy man names himself) recounts that he once served in the very shrine they seek, when he was a young acolyte. It was originally on the forests edge, but was built over with cheap and crude housing when the Five brought fame and thus new settlers to Daunton.

"It would now be located somewhere underground in the area known as the overgrowth; not a very easy quarter to navigate, especially if you value your coin purses. I would be willing to jot down a quick map for you if it please you? Though it has been many years, and many of the streets will not be the same as I remember."

With map in hand Mikara and Skalisss return to the group just as Brother Shane has narrowed his options down to two, two possible locations of shrines that he had heard mention of, but never seen for himself. One is in the Overgrowth and one is further to the east, on the cities edge.

Skill Challenge (S1): Find the Shrine of Maraz (lvl 2) DC 18

Segment 1 (Social): Where to look? 8 Successes = Total Victory
*Discovering the whereabouts of the shrine took 3 hours, the party gains +1 to all skill checks for segment 2

Segment 2 (Mental & Physical): Now to find it!

Primary Skills: Perception & Stealth
You have a map leading to the shrine of Maros, but the district has changed much and the old clerics memory might have been questionable. To top it off the map leads straight through Daunton's criminal hive; the Overgrowth is famous for it's cutpurses and violent gangs. You must make sense of the deprived streets while avoiding any unnecessary fights.

[sblock=OOC]Two rounds of checks again, one physical and one mental each please, don't forget your +1's.
So if Mikara has one potion, who is having the other?[/sblock]

garyh

First Post
Growl manages to spot one of the landmarks the old priest mentioned, or at least the remains of it. The hydra-shaped fountain was rusted and obviously hadn't worked in years, if not decades, but it meant they were on the right track.

OOC: Perception (1d20+10+1=21), 23 actually, with the +2 for primary skill bonus.

[sblock=Growl's Info]Growl- "Male" Warforged Druid 2
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
AC: 19, Fort: 15, Reflex: 12, Will: 17 - Speed: 6
HP: 35/35, Bloodied: 17, Surge Value: 8 (10 in beast form), Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1

Powers:
Chill Wind
Savage Rend
Swarming Locusts
Wild Shape

Barkskin
Darting Bite
Second Wind
Warforged Resolve

Faerie Fire
Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1 (Daily)

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Mikara smiles warmly at Gellon as they leave, thanking him for his quick map. As she and the dragonborn make their way towards the others she thinks back to what the old cleric said.

"He said there would be plenty of wrong streets and cut-purses in this area, so I think it may be a good idea if I were to scout ahead. I'll go check out the area, get a general sense of the flow of the streets, and try to find out where all of the major groups of thugs and scoundrels hang out. This way we can find out where we're going and avoid having to tangle with anyone's underlings. Wait here for a few minutes and I'll be right back."

With that said, Mikara fades into the shadows. Even though it's nowhere near sundown, Mikara cannot be found anywhere. As she moves from one shaded area to the next, the shadows seem to envelop her, blending her form with the darkness and making it impossible to see where she may have gone. She keeps a careful eye out for the entrance of the Overgrowth while trying to find a good path for the others to take that would keep them out of sight of the random groups of thieves that wandered the streets of the old town.

When she was done scouting the area, she returns to Skalisss so that she can report on what she found.

[sblock=Stealth and Perception] Mikara rolls Stealth and CRITS IT! (rolling a massive 37, which includes her +14 skill bonus, the +1 to all skill checks for the total victory of section 1, and the +2 for using a primary skill) Next she rolls a Perception check and manages to roll a 25! (which includes her +5 skill bonus and the +1 total victory bonus and the +2 primary skill bonus). [/sblock]

[sblock=holy cow] Mikara seems to be the queen of the skill challenge so far. I just hope her luck doesn't run out when they finally get into a fight! [/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]It's not just Mikara that's acing the skill challenges, I wonder if I should have set the DC a little higher :devil:
Speaking of finally getting into a fight; it shouldn't be too long at all now, sorry again that this has been a slow starter, but I'd rather you go into the first fight with a full party than have to down scale it.[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Fragsie] No prob man, I'm having fun with this part anyways! Gives me a chance to roleplay Mikara a bit more in out-of-combat situations, and lets' her show what she brings to the team! We have been doing rather well on these rolls, but I do not think that raising the DCs would be a good idea. My rolls have just been plain lucky, but a DC higher than 18 at our level would be near impossible for some of us using some of our skills. With the bonuses that you have laid out for us (using primary skills, etc), some of us are just getting good rolls! [/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads