[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

pacdidj

First Post
Unaware of the significance of the Brellish tokens, or the mark on the card that came with them, Crush sits idly by in the healing hall waiting for Lord ir'Haran to come to. He passes the time repetitively exercising and oiling his left knee, which seems to be acting up again since the strain of the battle.

When the Lance Corporal recovers, Crush heads in to pay his respects. "I see the healers were able to patch you up," he says matter-of-factly, "We've dealt with the Twinrose woman. You shouldn't see anymore trouble from her Cyran faction."

After brooding a moment in silence, the warforged adds, "I'm glad we were able to spare your life amid the bloody mess Twinrose made of the ceremony. I do hope though that we acted for the best. I have no special love for the country that purchased me and made me into a weapon of war, but neither do I bear it's late citizens, nor the survivors of the Mourning any ill will. And, though I have no respect for Twinrose's methods of vigilante justice, with all due respect Lance Corporal, I do hope her allegations against you were false. I'd appreciate anything you could tell me about what transpired at Aruldusk that might set my mind at ease."

Diplomacy (1d20+9=29)

renau1g

First Post
Vok considers the token with reverence, he had wanted to be recognized for his valour and now here was something that showed that.

As for the lantern's significance, the half-elf knew little, but it did little to deter him in his glee. The paladin will give the Lord a firm handshake, if an opportunity arises, adding a few notes about what a tough soldier he was to be able to pull through that melee.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Ryk's lack of experience leaves him little framework to understand the purpose of the tokens, even with his comrades' explanations. "The kingdom is grateful, and if you need a favor, show someone this token and they might help" is about all he's able to grasp. While this is less fun than a token that summons a bear, it's not a bad thing; he pockets the item thoughtfully.

He helps to keep Spring calm while the medics work on him; the dinosaur is fairly tolerant of halflings. As he's working, one of the medics points to Ryk's wrist and exclaims.

What? Am I bleeding again? No. Look at that mark.

Ryk looks at two black lines on his arm, each less than an inch long. He doesn't remember them being there before.

That just might be a Jorasco mark beginning to appear. You should do more healing work when the opportunity arises, and see if it develops further. Or it could be nothing important.

[sblock="OOC"] Ryk's experiences in this adventure may lead to some feat choices later in his career - dragonmark at level 6, and +1 WIS and cleric multiclass at level 8. Or it might not; it certainly wasn't in my original plans. But sometimes characters do what they're gonna do, and Ryk seems to want to heal.[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka considered the token for a few moments. Some of the tribes in the Reaches used similar items, in a sort of barter-trade of tribal favors, but she sensed this might be a deeper, more complicated affair. Still, it might be useful- after some thought the token went into one of her pouches.

While she had been hurt, the healers knew their business and she was soon fully recovered. For a time she paced, like any caged wild animal, waiting on the recovery of her more injured compatriots, or the possibility that the lord would wish to see them. Soon enough, though, she grew restive and impatient... With few words, she set about re-packing her gear and got ready to leave.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
" I'd appreciate anything you could tell me about what transpired at Aruldusk that might set my mind at ease."]
The Lord, recovering well, dismisses the attractive nurse with a smile. He then turns to those who have gathered. Like you, I was a solider. No one died in the Attack who was not meant to. He looks at Crush a moment to let that sink in.

The attack was committed with minimal casualties as any historian will tell you. No civilians. Yes, General Baldric died sometime during the attack. It is not known officially who killed him or how it happened. Another meaningful look. It is also not officially known why he was in a Thrane. It is a bit odd that such a high ranking Cyran military official was found dead in the offices of Thranish military intelligence with the city. It is also unusual that neither of the two governments involved commented on the incident, nor on the rumor that General Baldric had been recently granted estates within Thrane, given to him by a high ranking cardinal. But there are many things in war that go unexplained.

The Lord shrugs and stretches. You have done me, and Breland, a great favor. You have my thanks. But as for the past—sometimes, its better knowing not knowing. Its good we did not have this talk. He smiles and lies back to rest.

OOC: Is this is it then? We get XP for that last fight and return to the tavern? Or do we milk this thread (I mean Lanterns) for more work you have already prepped?

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Coda

Quests
- Major: Win the Race
- Minor: Save the Lord

XP
- Soarsled Race: 350
- Capture the Flag: 210
- Combat Challenge: 540
- Race to the Finish: 240
- Platform Battle: 560
- Quest: Win the Race 350
- Assassination!: 680
- Quest: Save the Lord 70
Total: 3000

Awards
- 168gp per PC for winning the Race [Link]
- Ryk: "Sentinel Marshal's Hunt Mastery" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Quickhit Bracers (lvl 5). [Link]
- Rikka: "Mastery of the Shifter's Game" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Boots of Rapid Motion (lvl 5) [Link]
- Crush: "Adamants Immovable Stance" Gransmaster Training: Same benefit as Spiked Soles (lvl 5) [Link]
- Bellegon: "Powers of the Twice-Fold Master" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (lvl 8) [Link]
- Vok: "Dol Arrah's Radiance" Divine Boon: Same benefit as Pelor's Sun Blessing (lvl 8). [Link]
- 1 Boon of Breland Token per PC [Link]

RP Awards (January 2010–February 2011)
- Players: 13 RP
- DM: 26 RP

Thanks for playing everyone. I wanted to try an addy with non-standard encounters (mostly skill challenges) and awards; I hope it went well. I am not planning a direct follow-up (and I know at least one character is retiring), so I'll see you around the Shard!

Too bad! Would you consider one dungeon delving one with NPC mercenaries to be brought to Underdark to Umbragen and minor quest of helping one of the outposts of them defend from aberrations?

Bellegon is persona non grata there, but he wants to help them...to prove himself if you will...

You can even use hobbo mercs from the race :D

renau1g

First Post
OOC:
Thanks for the game stonegod. Vok will now join the long list of people who retired on top and undefeated, perhaps going on to lucrative sponsorships and public appearances... ;) I thought it was a pretty interesting adventure and the challenges were pretty tough, especially for a platemail wearing weakling like Vok... I realized I very much dislike the paladin mechanics.

I am debating between another defender (although likely hybrid Swordmage/Warlock) or just a straight-up fighter. We'll see. I will likely use 2 DM RP's to bump Vok over the edge to 8th before retiring (cashing in all 13 credits here as well).

Remove ads