Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Neil1889

First Post
"Ohhhhhhhhhh. Well, north-ish, then. Exploring underground caverns seems to be my fate in life. I certainly hope they don't move about this time."

weldon

Explorer
Aye, let's head north and out of this awful hole in the ground. As for the lot of you, it seems everyone knows which end of the sword is for holding. Some of what I seen felt a bit... well, strange to the say the least, but best we move on and finish the job.

Someone

Adventurer
GM: The following encounters play much like a skill challenge (in the sense of abstracting whole encounter to skills rolls), only with a completely different mechanics. The rules are as follows:

You'll encounter several different situations, and I'll add one or two skills which can be obviously used to solve that situation (others can be, if you can describe well why is applicable, with the appropiate, ad hoc and completely arbitraty penalties. No refunds). You'll pick one member of the group to make the roll, and that group member can't be picked again until all of you have been picked at least once.

This group member will describe what he does and then roll the skill. If he does, the encounter is done, if not there'll be penalties (like losing healing surges, etc). There'll be bonuses for good roleplaying and ingenious use of skills and powers)

Said that, the rest of the group can also help, as long as it isn't a mere Aid Another roll. You can use powers, items or skills to help, again if you describe convincingly what you're doing. Have in mind that long =/= convincingly.

Someone

Adventurer
The party abandons the fetid lair and advances through the tunnel, unsure of where does it lead. It must be somewhere important, because before you find another intersection or side tunnel, you find a trap. It's evident and not difficult to spot, consisting on a series of wires somehow connected to the ceiling - it doesn't take much trapsmithing expertise to know that the rock will fall, rolling down the tunnel, if the trap is trigguered. However the wire layout is complicated and you are not sure of what to do to disarm it.

suggested skills: Thievery, Acrobatics.

Last edited:

Vyrna, spotting the all-too-obvious trap grins wickedly as her expertise comes into play.

"Stand back. This has my name written all over it. Used to mess with this kind of thing while on board the Night Serpent. Captain Blood Lung had me specialize in lockpicking and disarming traps. I remember doing something like this. The trick," she continues, pulling out a fine set of thieves tools and selecting a couple of forked, ice-pick like tools with dials on the end of the handle, "Is to pin both sides of the trip wire while driving the pick into the ground. If you can do that without breaking the wire on either side, then you can cut the trip line in the middle."

Walking over to the trip line, she very gently places the forked section of the pick tool around the line near the wall, twisting the end of the tool. This closes the forked section of the pick tool around the wire. Pulling out a small hand drill from her tool kit, she drills a small hole in the floor just beneath the pick tool a couple inches deep into the stone floor. Placing the end of the pick tool into the drilled hole, she pulls up on the other end of the pick tool with her right hand, while holding onto the pick tool with her left. A sharp metal-on-stone sound is heard from within the hole.

She repeats this procedure on the other side of the tunnel on the trip wire and then, after another metal-on-stone sound is heard, she simply jerks upward on the pick tool. This action seems to dislocate the bottom half of the pick tool, leaving a metal spike in the ground. Then she walks over to the other side and does the same thing.

"That sound you heard is the end of the pick flowering out and hammering itself into the stone. This will secure it and keep it from being pulled out of the ground. They can hold about five hundred pounds each."

Pulling out one last tool, a simple pair of wire cutters, she takes a deep, steadying breath and looks over at the rest of the group.

"Here goes nothing... if this doesn't work... it's been nice knowing you."

Vyrna snips the wire and quickly looks around. Releasing her breath she sees that the line was perfectly secure on that end. Seeing that the wire didn't whip its way toward the opposite wall, it was evident that the other side was secure as well. Grinning, she walked over to the other end of the wall and snipped the line on the inside of the other pick. Rolling the piece of wire into a circle, she placed it into her pack (cause you never know when a line of wire will come in handy) and then motioned for the group to continue.

With the line secured at either end near the wall, the group should now be able to move freely past the trap.

"No thanks is necessary, but tips are always appreciated!" Vyrna gives Ryan a wink.

OOC: Forgive me if I seem a bit cocky there, but I'm pretty sure that at level one, a 27 on my Thievery check is a solid success. [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION], if this is not the case, feel free to let me know and I'll change my description accordingly :)

Someone

Adventurer
The trap is safely disarmed and the group walks warily below the hanging rocks, but without any danger.

The tunnels bend and twist much like the ones where you fought the otyughs and the gelatinous creature, though is not difficult to know the one which leads further in. Finally looks like you've arrived at one which was, long ago, perhaps inhabited by it's original builders. It shows signs of it's walls and floors being straightened and made more smooth. They also have signs of being occupied right now!

The tunnels bring echoes of an upcoming group. Their gruff voices and loud footsteps identify them as orcs. However the echoing passages makes almost impossible to know where they are coming from - if you choose wrongly, you'll stumble into a fight.

Suggested skills: Perception, Dungeoneering

Karlowitch

First Post
Someone said:
Now all the corridor is a mess of acidic jelly. What's left of the creature extends a feeble pseudopod at Shun, moments before Ryan bursts free from the now weakened beign and severs it with a kopesh strike.

The cube's remains start liquefying and drain towards the mound of trash at the cave's center. The quietness that now reigns makes a sharp contrast with the noise your heart is making - at least for those that still have a pulse.

Finally free from the creatures hold, Ryan falls down on his knees. ” I think my fondness of budding has just went down the drain ” he says while throwing up massive junks of green gele.

Suddenly a disgruntled voice sounds from the sack ” hey buddy...would you mind... emptying the bag... ” and Ryan quickly does so. Randal comes rolling out of the sack along with a lot of green goo. ” I feel kinda of weird...” he says, right as his nose falls of. ” Ryan, you got some more of that super-glue?! ”

Someone said:
The party abandons the fetid lair and advances through the tunnel, unsure of where does it lead. It must be somewhere important, because before you find another intersection or side tunnel, you find a trap. It's evident and not difficult to spot, consisting on a series of wires somehow connected to the ceiling - it doesn't take much trapsmithing expertise to know that the rock will fall, rolling down the tunnel, if the trap is trigguered. However the wire layout is complicated and you are not sure of what to do to disarm it.

While the group moves on, Ryan bandages his wounds and poorly glues Randals nose back on again.

[sblock=Healing Surges]Ryan spends 2 healing surges and gains 14hp's sp he should be at 30 hp's now[/sblock]

CrimsonFlameWielder said:
"No thanks is necessary, but tips are always appreciated!" Vyrna gives Ryan a wink.

” You are one hell of a lass ” and teasingly throws a copper coin to her. ” here's your tip lass, expect more later ” he says with a wink.

Randal on the other hand just stares at Vyrna in wonder ” Ryan... you got to marry this girl ! She is amazing! ”

Someone said:
The trap is safely disarmed and the group walks warily below the hanging rocks, but without any danger.

The tunnels bend and twist much like the ones where you fought the otyughs and the gelatinous creature, though is not difficult to know the one which leads further in. Finally looks like you've arrived at one which was, long ago, perhaps inhabited by it's original builders. It shows signs of it's walls and floors being straightened and made more smooth. They also have signs of being occupied right now!

The tunnels bring echoes of an upcoming group. Their gruff voices and loud footsteps identify them as orcs. However the echoing passages makes almost impossible to know where they are coming from - if you choose wrongly, you'll stumble into a fight.

Ryan rises his hand to warn the group to keep quiet and stay completely still. He quietly picks up a small stone lying beside his foot and lies down with his head down to the ground. He listens intensely to the ground and its vibrations, trying to discern where the orcs might be. To test his theory, he gently and systematically taps with the stone on the ground in different directions to hear how to sounds travels underground.

Finally he rises, feeling confident that they should be able to avoid the orcs and leads them onwards into one of the tunnels.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
With the help of two sets of ears, Ryan and Randall can easily discern where the orcs are coming from, and direct the group to a side passage. From there you hear the patrol abandon the area and thus you're free to continue your way, this time with more care.

You're definitely arriving at somewhere. Sometimes the tunnels are no longer natural, the walls, ceiling and floor being covered by heavy grey stone slabs. You turn a corner, and find about twenty paces ahead a lone orc sentry, who was dozing until you arrived. His eyes widen up and he sees you, and quickly grabs a horn. If he blows the thing, the sound will alert every creature in the tunnels!

suggested skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate

Dekana

Explorer
Before the orc can sound his warning, Eva has the chance to act first. She asks ever so sweetly, "Oh, a new friend! Do you want to join us too?"

As Eva speaks, she subtly channels a spell through her staff. When the orc looks at Eva, he sees a horde of terrifying ghosts at her back. They are in varying stages of decay: some are shambling zombies with hideous gashes in their flesh; some are skeletons with missing bones; and some are simply specters still bearing the wounds that killed them. All of them hungrily look at the orc.

(Encounter power: Spook, changes an Arcana roll into Intimidate)

Neil1889

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I was building a post, but Dekana beat me to it. Saying that, I'll use the Diplomacy roll I made to support Eva's Intimidate.

Diplomacy Roll Lookup Total: 14

[/sblock]

Lilli steps foward to talk to the Orc, unaware that the Orc is seeing not a small female humanoid, but a hungry looking spectre of a woman with a bloodless gash to her midriff.

A ghostly disembodied hand floats over to the Orcish guard, "Give me the horn, then maybe I'll be able to hold the others back providing you leave quietly. It isn't you in particular that we are after. Our vengeance can be sated elsewhere."

Remove ads