Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Someone

Adventurer
The orc's eyes widen like ballons and start trembling like a leaf. He drops the horn, and kicks it toward Lilly, while mumbling something inarticulate. Could be possible that he's afraid of the frail looking Eva? She didn't say anything out of the ordinary.

After dropping the horn the orc turns around and tries to run away. Shun quickly lashes with his chain, tripping him. He falls badly, hits his head against the wall and stops moving. It's not dead, just unconscious, but looks like he won't be a problem for some time. (Or you could, you know, solve the problem permanently)

A few minutes after that you find your way blocked by a wooden wall that completely blocks the way, but fortunately it has a door. There's torchlight coming from the other side, visible through the spaces between the door and the wall, and sounds of orcs speaking.

The door isn't locked, but closed with a simple latch. Alas, the latch is at the other side.

GM: This isn't part of the skill challenge, but an idependent encounter.

weldon

Explorer
OOC: Removed the previous post, as [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION] resolved the skill challenge while I was still writing

Let's leave him be, I say. Won't cause no trouble like that.

Sounds like orcs on the other side. Think we should knock and ask them to come out and play?

Shun approaches the door quietly and listens even though he can't understand the Orcs foul language.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
One of them is speaking loudly, but Shun can hear quiet murmurs when that one makes a pause. Doesn't sound like there's a crowd, probably not more than four or five of them.

"We should bust in there and take em. We don't want a small handful of orcs to ruin our surprise upstairs, do we?"

Vyrna looks over at Lillly. "I say we should have you blow the horn, then ambush the lot of em when they come out wondering what's wrong." Vyrna chuckles to herself, relishing the thought of the impending violence.

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli eyes the mouthpiece of the horn dubiously, wondering if it was once used for something else other than the sounding of an alarm and whispers, "But that is what they expect to hear when there is trouble and they may fetch others. Could you perhaps quietly slip the catch with your tools so that we can gain access through yonder door? Besides, I was trained in the harp."

weldon

Explorer
Whispering to his crew...

There's only 4 or 5 talking in there. We could try and bust in, but who knows how heavy the lock is on the other side.

An old pirate trick on the sea is to fly false colors or feign distress and let the other ship approach close before raising the skull and crossbones and boarding. Why chase the ship all across the ocean, when you can get them to come to you?

Why don't we knock and let them open the door? I say we grab this unconscious guard and hold him up in front of the door. If they open a peep hole, all they will see is the guard with his head rolling around like he's been drinking, which can't be that unusual for his type. Then when they open the door, WHAM!, we get them.

What do you say? I think we can let them do all the work and surprise them while we're at it.

Karlowitch

First Post
Weldon said:
Whispering to his crew...

There's only 4 or 5 talking in there. We could try and bust in, but who knows how heavy the lock is on the other side.

An old pirate trick on the sea is to fly false colors or feign distress and let the other ship approach close before raising the skull and crossbones and boarding. Why chase the ship all across the ocean, when you can get them to come to you?

Why don't we knock and let them open the door? I say we grab this unconscious guard and hold him up in front of the door. If they open a peep hole, all they will see is the guard with his head rolling around like he's been drinking, which can't be that unusual for his type. Then when they open the door, WHAM!, we get them.

What do you say? I think we can let them do all the work and surprise them while we're at it.

Ryan nods in approval " Sound plan Shun ! " he whispers.

" I propose that we should break the door down and eat everybody inside " says Randal with glee in his eyes.

Ryan sends his friend a wry look " What! " the zombie head responds " that's a good plan, right?! "

Someone

Adventurer
GM: The orc sentry isn't actually near the door; you've walked a few minutes past his post, though I'll assume you kept the horn. The door has no peephole.

Other than that looks like Ryan, Shun and Vyrna are partial to tricking the orcs into opening the door, while Lilly votes for using Thievery to open it. I'd go with the first option since most of you want that, but every one of you suggested to do it in a different way. I'll update as soon anyone takes a decision

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli quietly ponders aloud, whilst looking forward to the day of mastering the Knock ritual. In the meanwhile, she drifts away to use Prestidigitation to clean the supposed mouthpiece of the horn.

"Maybe I'd be better off just yelping, "Hwelp, hwelp, I'm being chased by an Orc! Let me in, let me in!"" she whispers. "I'm not the greatest of actresses, though."

[sblock=occ]Bluff +4. Alas, didn't learn Arcane Mutterings today (would have been +13).[/sblock]

OOC: Too bad we can only go once per "issue" presented... cause Vyrna is a pretty decent bluff (+10)!

Vyrna shakes her head at Lilli's want of disabling the trap using her tools. That only works if I have something to work with on this end. If I try to disable the lock by going through the side of the door, I could trip an unseen trap or alarm. We definitely don't want that."

Vyrna's eyes light up the moment Shun makes his suggestion and a wicked grin spreads over her features.

"Why Shun...and here I thought you were the respectable type...I'm surprised in you...and have quite a bit more respect for you now!" she says, winking flirtatiously.

Remove ads