• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Trouble in Moonwatch (Judge:TwoHeadsBarking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=renau1g]
Since there are hours between finding the corpse and getting to the ruins, could we stay at the corpse until we find out all we can there and then move on to the ruins?

I'd like to investigate and discuss the implications of that first with the group and not just blow it off.
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
"Ok, I don't like this. If the letter belongs to the corpse here, he is probably either the sender or the receiver. If it is the sender and I think this likely based on our current geographical position, then we might have a problem. If it is the same person, then he was able to kick the snot out of three ogres while 'restraining himself', but still got killed. That doesn't bode well for us. Anyone tough enough to take on three ogres would be hard to kill, even buried under rubble. Course, it's possible that this is just a courier, but this Iokaste sounds too intelligent to leave such an important missive in the hands of a courier out in a wilderness like this."

"Lan, you might want to search over this corpse carefully. Maybe he has a dragonmark or something. Is it even a male? What race is this person? How long has he been dead?"

[sblock=ooc]
This is the post KD was waiting for a response to. Lan hasn't posted any actions.
[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
Valahad looks over the corpse of the messenger, trying to determine how long it's been dead as well and it's gender and cause of death.
[sblock=Heal]heal on corpse (1d20+11=23) [/sblock]

"I don't know how this relates to us. We have no issue with The Dark Pack right now. It things change though, we should remember this letter."

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Sorry for not posting yesterday, I was having to take a day off from work to deal with some school payment issues and the Veterans Association (VA) department, blech. Stupid government, lol. [/sblock]

Lanharath nods at Sheeva's request, glad to be acknowledged if not in her good graces. Lanharath goes over the corpse with a fine-toothed comb, picking it apart visually.

[sblock=Perception Check] Lanharath rolls a 33 perception check to examine the corpse for any pertinent details. [/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Lan]
After removing a few rocks from the corpse it is indeed male, a human, but with no discernible dragonmarks. He looks to be of nearly middle age, an empty scabbard is at his side, the blade looks like it would have been for a basterd sword. He wears no armour and no evidence is there of any more valuables on him, besides the maps.

As you're looking around you notice the rockslide was most likely intentional, not accidental, based on a small piece of black fabric evident at the top of the ridge.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Valahad]
You look over the corpse and there are the obvious crushed bones from the rock slide. Also noticeable to your trained eyes is many small stab wounds, likely caused by a dagger of incredible sharpness as the wounds are nearly surgical in precision. The corpse is relatively recent, most likely around 10 days to 2 weeks old, the carrion haven't picked it clean yet.
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Lanharath removes a few rocks from the corpse, giving it a thorough once over.

"Sheeva, We can tell that this was a male human. We cannot tell, however, if this was a marked human, since we see no sign of one. Even after death, We should still be able to pick up on a magical aura of a dragonmark if the body is not too decomposed."

Lanharath looks at the rubble surrounding the corpse, and then looks up the hill. Furrowing his brow, he picks up a rock and licks it, rolling the taste around his mouth. He picks up another rock and smells it before tossing it aside. Picking his way slowly up the hill, he stops for a moment, focusing on a small pile of rocks that looks no different than any other pile of rocks in the area. Walking over to it, he picks up a small piece of black fabric and holds it up for everyone to see.

"Aha! This mans' death was intentional. Someone, or something intelligent did not want him to get through here. These rocks," he says, pointing to the ones near the corpse, "Have the exact mineral makeup as the ones from the top of this hill. That does not happen naturally. The rocks at the bottom of a hill should have more mineral deposits than that of the top of a hill. See these small flecks of greenish brown in the rocks over there away from the corpse? Those are copper deposits. The rocks right here don't have any of that. So that, combined with the fabric I found show the push site of an intentional rock slide. This man was not meant to make it out of here alive. Whoever it was set this up expertly and succeeded. We must move with caution from here on. We can also tell that whoever did it was of an "intelligent" race, as it took this mans' sword. The scabbard is empty and the sword, rather large, is nowhere to be found. The corpse is also not wearing it's armor, but should have been. See these lines in the skin? Those are from repeated wear of some form of medium to heavy armor. The straps, when tightened, bite into the skin. We imagine you may find something similar on Valahad. An animal or other magical beast would not bother to take a corpses possessions."

Knowing how emotional Sheeva was, Lan thought it best to show how was not a completely analytical, emotionless jerk bows his head.

"We should say a few words for this fallen warrior to send his spirit to The Host. River, do you know of an appropriate passage in The Hosts' writing for a burial?"

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"This is very odd. Why would someone pull the maps out of the scroll case without pulling out the letter? Or alternatively, pull out both the maps and the letter and then stuff the letter back into the case." Sheeva muses.

"The contents of the letter are also concerning, especially so for people like River. If these Thrane are going to hunt lycanthropes, what is going to stop them from hunting shapeshifters like River? It's all nice and well to help out the locals here, but if the Silver Flame is still hunting lycanthropes, I'm not so sure that we should work for them. Who would be next? Gnomes? Drow? Kalashtar? Anyone not human?"

"It's also possible that this letter is a ruse to get anyone who works for the Flame to turn back. The Khyber have been spying on us and know something of our activities. But if so, it is extremely elaborate. I doubt it is fake. But it being well protected in the case as if someone wanted it found does concern me. And why is it written in Elvish if a human might have written it? And who would have cause to kill this man here. It seems like an elaborate ambush when arrows should have sufficed. This is all very confusing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads