Adventure's vault wackyness

Byronic

First Post
On the other hand weapon properties and powers only effect the main side, which is most probably the heavy blade side. Which means that the double weapon doesn't bestow those on the Rogue's powers

HighTemplar

First Post
Deadstop and Byronic,

You two make very good points that a reasonnable non powergamer should make, but the double sword is symetrical...

Unfortunately I think they made it on purpose to be a medium blade counting as both heavy and light, which means you can now reckognize rogue class just by looking for double swords :p

and haha props for the lame and ponce property =)

Byronic

First Post
Anyhow, I would advice people to read the box on page ten of the Adventurers Vault to read exactly how they work. I still think there are sufficient disadvantages that I wouldn't use it as a Rogue.

HighTemplar

First Post
Like what?

Like the fact that you only get a single weapon's magic property, which seems pretty oblivious to me too. Double swords = pwnage. I can now make tons of npc multiclassing with rogue because the primary thing that was annoying me was the light blade property that didnt fit anyhere, unfortunately they all need to be wielding double swords now :confused:.

Darkadelphia: If you wanna talk about it we can fork it to a new thread, but I really dont see the point of discussing that unless you want to make a poll on which fractions of the players risked the whole game balance by allowing different ability scores generation methods.

Bond James Bond

First Post
Anyhow, I would advice people to read the box on page ten of the Adventurers Vault to read exactly how they work. I still think there are sufficient disadvantages that I wouldn't use it as a Rogue.

Well strictly melee combat wise, I don`t see any.

But of course, there is the problem of carrying it around, chances are, you cant`t conceal it like a dagger :)

And, since you are not having the typical dagger off hand, you can`t switch to a throwing weapon in an instant... well not without quick draw at least.

As said before, my main gripe is not with the balance but with the flavor. You don`t allow the rogue to use a longsword, but two longswords glued together are just fine?

Byronic

First Post
Like what?

Well strictly melee combat wise, I don`t see any.

But of course, there is the problem of carrying it around, chances are, you cant`t conceal it like a dagger :)

And, since you are not having the typical dagger off hand, you can`t switch to a throwing weapon in an instant... well not without quick draw at least.

As said before, my main gripe is not with the balance but with the flavor. You don`t allow the rogue to use a longsword, but two longswords glued together are just fine?

Hmm, let me explain what I meant.

1) The Double Sword is essentially a Heavy and Light Blade put together.

2) I believe that the heavy (let's say longsword) side is the "main" side of the Double Sword. The Light side is the secondary/off-hand side. Aka the side the rogue uses for almost all of her powers.

3) According to my interpretation of the text on page 10 the properties and special powers of the blade are solely on the primary/heavy side.

ergo, a Rogues powers or "exploits" will not work with the heavy side of the Double Sword. So if you have a Bloodthirsty Double Sword you wouldn't get +1 to hit and +x to damage when attacking bloodied opponents. Nor would you be able to use the Daily power on a Lightning Double Sword to cause AoE damage.

At least not with any power that requires a light blade.

But this is my own interpretation, that's why I simply directed people to the box of text. While I believe this to be the correct interpretation I just don't really feel like arguing it as a point.

I agree totally that the flavour is wrong for a rogue as well though that's more up to individual taste.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
2) I believe that the heavy (let's say longsword) side is the "main" side of the Double Sword. The Light side is the secondary/off-hand side. Aka the side the rogue uses for almost all of her powers.

There is no text to indicate this in the slightest. The weapon as a whole is both a heavy and light blade, and both ends are counted as "off hand".

This might not be what was intended, but it's what is true.

WalterKovacs

First Post
The box text pretty much states that the double weapons are not for small creatures [they are effectively a single two handed weapon that acts as two off hand weapons].

The light/heavy blade concept is that, while it does the same damage as a long sword [or rapier] and has the same prof bonus, it isn't necessarily the same thing as the two taped together. Because it's a BIG weapon, but also one that needs to be balanced enough to be used like a quarterstaff, it has properties of BOTH heavy and light blades.

Also one thing about defensive ... it doesn't provide a bonus to reflex, which actual shields do.

Remove ads