Advertisements for Movies, Video Games, Board Games...but not RPG's?

xechnao

First Post
Mourn said:
Got any support for this claim at all?

We're all saying it won't happen because the gains won't be worth the cost (since TV spots are expensive), and you're saying that it would somehow be a risk to do ads (with no support for the claim).

Put it this way, no but you are not so much better either. Do you know or can you calculate how much low or high will the gains be?
You could also be talking about the number of opinions in this thread - well I have nothing more to say in this case :)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
D&D has been advertised in the comic books of late. Maybe it will be better to expand into virtual showing on the web. Cost be curtailed, but the effect is, that maybe millions can be reached in cyberspace.

Just throwing a penny here...

FallenTabris

First Post
Mourn said:
We're all saying it won't happen because the gains won't be worth the cost (since TV spots are expensive), and you're saying that it would somehow be a risk to do ads (with no support for the claim).

I wonder how expensive it would be to set up commercials on Myspace or Youtube? I know writing the thing would be easy as pie. For Example:

"You've heard about it. That game that people played about pretending to be an elf and going to slay a dragon." -scene of animated elf fighting a dragon- "Since when is it kids stuff to use your imagination?" -scene of a hot sorceress caressing some tiefling`s face- "Dungeons and Dragons is a game about playing out magic and mystery in the comfort of your own home" -scene of laughing and dice rolling around a table- "Dungeons and Dragons: Imagine the fun"

malraux

First Post
I'd think its still a bit early to do big TV spots. If the main way you know about the new edition is seeing a new commercial, you'll probably not keep it at the front of your mind long enough to wait a month or two. In addition, I'd expect that there's a benefit in not advertising till the game is out. For other pop media, immediate demand is important. If a movie doesn't do well in the first two weeks, its out of theaters. But since the real product in DnD isn't the books but the interactions with others, you're actually selling a better product if you wait till its basically out on shelves. Then the casual gamer will find it easier to get in with a group.

Glyfair

Explorer
FallenTabris said:
I wonder how expensive it would be to set up commercials on Myspace or Youtube?
At the launch of 4E there was a D&D MySpace page, and towards the end of GenCon a lot of the WotC video content was on YouTube, including the "commercial." So, they are using them as resources already.

AZRogue

First Post
I would definitely support some focused television ads. I'm talking like the Sci-Fi channel and maybe some others. I think it would be really great, but I have no idea if it would pay off considering the cost.

Still, I'd love for DnD to start sponsoring some select television shows and such. Of course, I'd love for a good DnD television show and a good Forgotten Realms film, too.

Gareman

Explorer
Marketing Strategy

The marketing strategy for D&D 4 is supposedly to first target the existing D&D audience and then focus on new players. For existing players, perhaps they're trying to do a more guerrilla marketing strategy, focusing on electronic mediums and word of mouth. Perhaps they'll go mass media for the new market their trying to target.

As for TV advertising, I advertise pretty heavily on local cable. Spots range from $1 to around $8 per spot for networks like Cartoon Network, Spike and Sci Fi. National advertising is significantly more expensive.

malraux

First Post
AZRogue said:
I would definitely support some focused television ads. I'm talking like the Sci-Fi channel and maybe some others.
Hey, the SCI-FI channel could rerun the DnD movies...... Or maybe not.

Hussar

Legend
xechnao said:
Suppose you had the money what short spot adversiment could you do on TV about D&D? Who would it be referring to and how?
As someone else said you could do it for the minis but I do not think you could for D&D 4e. It could also be considered a disservice to the brand's lifestyle value by fans.

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3m67tpCAI

It's just too much money to make TV ads and likely won't really be targetting your market all that well anyway. Focused marketing, such as in comic books and the internet is a much more savvy way to go.

Last edited:

xechnao

First Post
Hussar said:
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3m67tpCAI

It's just too much money to make TV ads and likely won't really be targetting your market all that well anyway. Focused marketing, such as in comic books and the internet is a much more savvy way to go.

As I tried to explain above that was a D&D commercial and not a D&D 4e commercial that we are talking about now and here- there is a difference in context.

Remove ads