Advertisements for Movies, Video Games, Board Games...but not RPG's?

Mirtek

Hero
Well, if they decide to do 4e TV spots I hope they will be better than the tv spot for the D&D boardgame :D
FallenTabris said:
I wonder how expensive it would be to set up commercials on Myspace or Youtube? I know writing the thing would be easy as pie. For Example:

"You've heard about it. That game that people played about pretending to be an elf and going to slay a dragon." -scene of animated elf fighting a dragon- "Since when is it kids stuff to use your imagination?" -scene of a hot sorceress caressing some tiefling`s face- "Dungeons and Dragons is a game about playing out magic and mystery in the comfort of your own home" -scene of laughing and dice rolling around a table- "Dungeons and Dragons: Imagine the fun"
How about this:
"You've heard about it. That game that people played to sell their soul to Satan." - scene with a devil - "You have a soul? You need money in face of the current recession?" - scene of poor people - "Dungeons and Dragons is a game that can teach you how to sell your soul to Satan for fun and profit" - show a contract written in blood - "Be like Blackleaf"

Last edited:

xechnao said:
Suppose you had the money what short spot adversiment could you do on TV about D&D? Who would it be referring to and how?
As someone else said you could do it for the minis but I do not think you could for D&D 4e. It could also be considered a disservice to the brand's lifestyle value by fans.

An interesting point of view. I wouldn't discount what xechnao is saying.

A first year marketing stuent could tell you that a fundamental rule of the game is that you don't market products but the positive associations you make to the products.

Some products visually symbolize these associations. The vehicle luxury car commercial, if done right, really just needs to sit there -- the value being in the comfort and accoutrements of the interior. In comparision to a sports car commercial which always involves shots of the car acceleration and power -- because the association is in the freedom.

D&D minis could be considered evocative in this way. Much the way toy commercials use evocative toys that kids associate with the fun in using the toys.

This is not true for the RPG, however. D&D the product is a book -- not sexy at all. It is the act of fun, friendship and creativity of playing the game that compells people to purchase the books. That is the most common positive association of the product.

The relationship between the D&D books and the game is kind of like a commercial for ski equipment. The camera doesn't linger over the skis -- it includes dynamic shots of people skiiing.

OF course skiiing is a an exciting and visually dyanmic activity that translates well on screen. Playing D&D, as much as I love it, loioks dorky when it is being done by other people on your TV screen. In this regard xechnao is right -- it is 'deep' (not my first choice of words, I'd use 'ill-fitted') for the medium.

On the plus side, the obstacles I described above, while real, are not insurmountable. Good ad guys make a fortune for a reason. I've sat through my share of ad brainstorms -- and D&D would be tough...

...the best I can see would be to seel the 'escapist' associations of the game, preferably if there were licences..."What would you do if you were Gandalf...What would you do if you were Conan... now you can find out...(you could do it without licensed properties but the visuals and the names woud have to be instantly evocative of classic fantasy tropes)...the would playing of the game would not be the active imagery...but the minds eye actualization of playing a fantastic hero...

Anyway, likely still not worth the cash, but whatever... developing concepts is fun.

BTW -- as a final thought how many good Board cames or collectible card game TV ads have you seen. Not many...for the very same reason. Just because someone spit out a MTG or Pokemon CCG TV ad once upon a time does not mean that was money well spent.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Mourn said:
Wait.

A TV commercial, in an attempt to broaden and grow the market, could be considered a disservice to the brand's lifestyle value by fans? Ummm... only the fans that actively look for things to get pissed off about.
Wait.

Are we reading the same message boards?

Hussar

Legend
xechnao said:
As I tried to explain above that was a D&D commercial and not a D&D 4e commercial that we are talking about now and here- there is a difference in context.

No, there is no difference in context. Way back when, they tried TV ads for D&D. Back when the money was gushing in, riding the fad boom. Doesn't it make you wonder why they NEVER did it again?

Making a specific 4e TV commercial would be a very bad idea. No one outside of the hobby has any idea that there are several versions of the game, and that each version is not compatible. Why would you even want to bring that concept into a TV ad?

Remove ads