D&D 5E Advice for Level 16 Fighter Feat/Stat bumb.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
My level 14 fighter is coming up to the end of "Out of the Abyss" campaign, where the DM is going to take it to 20 with homebrew stuff.

I'm going to stick it out the full 20 Fighter levels (if i survive that long and it has been close!)

Id like any suggestions on a stat bumb or feats for level 16 etc

Information:

Human Battlemaster Fighter level 14.

Great Weapon Fighter, 20AC

Stats:
20 str
10 dex
18 con
10 int
14 wis
10 cha

HP: 178 (have rolled a bunch and it has worked out well!)

Feats:
Great Weapon Master
Lucky (Have to announce before the roll)
Wisdom resilient

We are allowed to attune to 5 magic items.

Attuned Items:

Dawnbringer (+2 Greatsword Sunblade)
Ring of Protection
Belt of Dwarvenkind
Cloak of Arachnida

Other items of note:

Spiked Plate
Circlet of blasting
Ring of Water walking
Javelin of lightning
Necklace of Adaptation
Tattoo of Protection +1AC

RulesJD

First Post
1. You aren't playing by RAW because Dawnblade is not a great weapon. You can use it two handed, but that doesn't make it a great weapon for the purposes of Great Weapon Mastery -5/+10.

2. Take the Sentinel feat.

Besides multiclassing, that's the single best thing you can do.

mellored

Legend
Healer feat, if no one else has it and you can get healing kits.
+2 Con is another obvious one.
Lucky is good if you don't know what else to take.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Great suggestions, thanks.

As mentioned above the Dawnbringer I wield is a Greatsword (not RAW) so that comes into play not taking polearm and sentinel combo with all the GWF GWM etc I'd like to keep him 2 handed sword.

I have looked at sentinel feat and its looks fun, great for stopping movement and making me sticky but we have a super tanky paladin who I would much rather have the BBEG hit, though it is on the short list.

Cleric has taken the Healer feat & I already have lucky (which has been very helpful)

what about, dungeon delver? If we fail saves at this level its super bad and having advantage and resistance against traps could be useful

Martial adept? I gain another combat dice which is great as I use them frequently but i don't need the 2 maneuvers as already have many. Seems meh.

I originally wanted mounted combatant but feel in the Underdark and the DM has hinted, I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it as often we won't have mounts in combat.

The feats/bumb im looking at are the +2 con & Tough for the last 2 ability increases and taking average on the rest of my HP improvements to give me over 200hp which will keep my character alive

TallIan

Explorer
Sentinel is a pretty good option if only to ensure you can use your bonus action more.

I would agree with your assessment of Martial Adept though, it's a huge cost for one extra superiority dice. So meh.

If you liked the idea of Mounted Combatant though, have you looked at Charger? It can work well with Mobile, depending on how your DM lays out the combats, the extra 10ft of movement is nice, but more importantly you can use Charger to get bonus damage, attack and move away on the second round with Mobile and then charge again on the third round.

Finally, your +2 CON and Tough choice is pretty solid, with your repertoire of manoeuvres, not having more stuff to manage is pretty nice. I would probably choose this myself, but I tend towards passive abilities. The main reason not to take this is because you aren't the primary tank, so plus damage choices might be better for the party.

I suppose Dungeon Delver benefits from the same argument as Tough, but is more dependant on how much your DM likes traps.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Hmm. Difficult. You are actually quite well equipped.

Alert feat springs to mind. Never being surprised as well as +5 ini is worth a lot.
Skulker is another feat. Since you are in the underdark, it gives you a lot better perception in dimly lit areas. But I would prefer alertness, because you don´t really need to see very well if you can´t be surprised and noone gets advantage for being hidden against you.

Sentinel is a good feat even without polearm master. Mage slayer could be potentially good. Magic initiate could be useful for the dancing light cantrip (you can illuminate only the enemies and stay in darkness and concentration is no problem for you. And once per day you may cast a shield that may really save your life).

RulesJD

First Post
Great suggestions, thanks.

As mentioned above the Dawnbringer I wield is a Greatsword (not RAW) so that comes into play not taking polearm and sentinel combo with all the GWF GWM etc I'd like to keep him 2 handed sword.

I have looked at sentinel feat and its looks fun, great for stopping movement and making me sticky but we have a super tanky paladin who I would much rather have the BBEG hit, though it is on the short list.

*snip*

In that case, super tanky paladin needs to take Sentinel ASAP.

Knowing that, I'd go with Toughness if you really don't want to multiclass. +2 to Con is nice and nets more health if you short rest, but Toughness helps eat those big initial hits.

I think +2 Con is the better deal. 200hp is already plenty to tank initial hits. Extra bonus to con saves would be worth more for me. I see toughness as a feat for lower hp clases like human monks.

After thinking about it a bit more I vote for mobility or still mage slayer. But +10 movement and spring attack will allow you to get into places where you would not get otherwise and you can hide behind the paladin more easily.

Remove ads