Pathfinder 1E Advice for way of the wicked?

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Hey guys. I just started the way of the wicked campaign for my players. I was wondering if anyone had already finished and had any advice? More particularly if there are side quests? Do they ever need to go find any of the fabeled places it mentions in the first ook? Or should I give them the option to go look for those on their own time? Any advice is appreciated :).

ahayford

First Post
I'm starting up a pbp game of this now myself. I decided to place it in Golarian (Pathfinder's setting) in the Steaming Sea. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to run it, but I imagine its going to have a lot to do with what my players are interested in. The campaign definitely assumes the evil characters are interested in the main plot line...so I would definitely encourage the creation of characters appropriate for the campaign. I think thats the biggest stumbling block for it. Make sure you players know what they are getting into and set their expectations.

Its one of those situations where limiting your players will actually help prevent them from being disappointed later on when they realize their chaotic evil barbarian berserker doesn't really fit in the campaign.

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
I have only read the 32 page preview. What do you mean by limiting your players will prevent disappointment? are you saying that certain classes won't work for this (obviously not a paladin)? I was thinking of running this at some point in the near future.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've read the first two books (the only ones that are, at this time, available) and I think a few things should be mentioned.

For one thing, while I've heard it said that all adventure paths are railroads, that's especially true for this one. As it's laid out, you begin the campaign with very little freedom (which gradually increases as the campaign goes on), as the PCs' patron basically strong-arms them into working for him. Saying no can very well result in a TPK.

Can the GM modify this? Sure, but there's comparatively little leeway in doing so, unless major changes are made. The first part of the first adventure goes out of its way to isolate the PCs in a hostile environment, so as to give them little choice but to agree.

Likewise, the campaign flat-out says that no good or chaotic characters are allowed. Anyone who wants to play a chaotic evil barbarian should be told flat-out that such a character isn't appropriate for the campaign.

ahayford

First Post
I think a creative DM can do a lot to prevent the railroad (or at least the feel of one). But there is a bit, in the beginning, of the "serve me or perish" kind of mentality. But then, that is a pretty common trope of villains in literature. As the players become more powerful, their ability to challenge authority increases as does their freedom.

I don't really necessarily see it as a railroad as long as the players know what they are getting into and you set their expectations as such. This is a narative campaign designed for a certain type (from a story perspective, not mechanics) of character. As long as the players agree to this and design their characters accordingly its fine. Its written as an evil campaign where the players are part of an evil organization bent on world dominiation. Thus, creating characters that are "good" or could care less about organizations or their goals don't really fit the narrative. Thus, they should be prevented from being created in the first place.

Its like any other campaign. If you were creating a pirate campaign you'd suggest players make characters that fit the narrative and flavor of the campaign setting.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
I agree about making chars that fit. Luckily in the first book it tells you alternatives for the classes the require chaotic alingment. Such as switching anti palis to required lawful evil instead of chaotic.Right now the party is a hobgoblin ninja,a converted dread necromancer,an elf wizard,a gnome sorcerer and a human cleric of death and deception. They have managed to be fairly evil and once they break out of the dungeosn I have warned them of the power of the law in this country.But it mentions a few legendary places that seem beneficial for the pc's to visit. Like The Lost Island of Taane-thak or The Mead Hall of the Ice Elven King. Anyone know if they HAVE to go in the campaign at some point? Or are these optional quests? and if so,where do I find details?

ahayford

First Post
There are only 2 of the 6 books published at this point...so its hard to say what is going to be used in the later books.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Ahh. Right. I forgot how new it was. So Ihave a 6 person party. Wich is 2 more than the norm for this campaign. How should I scale the challenges for this?

gdmcbride

First Post
Greetings all,

My name is Gary McBride and I wrote "Way of the Wicked". I have run an in-house playtest and after this weekend done four more sessions of the demo as well received now over twenty play reports.

I am happy to answer questions and I certainly don't mind criticism.

So, let me answer a few questions so far...

Adjusting for six players
My advice, leave the first act alone. Really, numbers don't make it any easier. In fact, it might be harder to sneak out six instead of four players. Adjust the XP so they are 2nd level when they reach the manor house.

After a few battles, you'll have a better feel about your parties level and can adjust power level accordingly.

Any changes?
In act two, I think Sir Balin is probably a little rough for many 2nd level parties especially parties who are on a timer and have just been through the other eight lessons. I would probably tone his Str down to a 16 and his Con down to a 14. Adjust his stat block accordingly. This might very well make it into official errata released next month.

Glad to answer more!

Enjoy being the bad guy.

Gary McBride
Fire Mountain Games

Remove ads