• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Advice for way of the wicked?

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
He got lucky in the first encounter. My pc's had the ninja disguise herself as a peasent women. The necro had his minions surround her and act as the bad guys. When varnings patrol showed up they saw the ambushers on the side of the road but still wanted to save the "lady". They charged valiantly and shattered the undead. 1 Of varnings men did a ride check and swooped in and picked her up onto his horse to "save her". He was surprised when she pulled out her 2 wakizahi and crited on his neck...if it had been varning to grab her he would have died.I might go ahead and respec. I tried just giving him 2 more lvls of fighter but seeing as he normally uses a shortbow and is wep focus lance I couldnt do to much.Hed be great on horseback. But I doubt he will get a chance to do much of that in book 2:p. However I just remembered that the group is pretty varied. It is down to an elf wizard,a gnome sorcerer,a drow(Low drow) anti paladin, a dwarf fighter and a human cleric...the drow ninja a necropolitan dread necro died ...So favored enemy wouldnt do him much good..

Last edited:

Drathir

First Post
hmm yeah that is varried. Also remember when ever the fighter gains a bonus feat he is allowed to retrain a previous one, this is to ease your concious if you dont like rule 0 (since there are no rules for or agaist retraining feats in anything else) just cant remove prereqs before the rest of the chain and what not... also according to JJ the retraining doesnt have to be as if it was obtained at lvl 2 or what ever. Oh your level 8? well now your old useless feat is improved crit, enjoy your new threat range.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Yeah. Well I think straight fighter it is then.Retrain him make him a bit vengeful and hard to kill. Thinking I might give him some type of physical flaw now. Seeing as he came so close to death and received healing a bit late.Also what took him out was a waraxe cri.That probably caused some real dmg :p.

gdmcbride

First Post
Might I suggest making him one-eyed with a mighty scar across his face where the war-axe almost killed him? He gains a new trait -- one-eyed.

One Eyed

You have only one-eye. Take a -2 to ranged combat attacks and a +2 trait bonus to Intimidate skill checks.

Just a suggestion,
Gary McBride
Fire Mountain Games

Drathir

First Post
exactly what i was thinking... you could always figure out some other obviouse scar though. its a cool idea, definately flavorful.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Sadly I havent been able to buy the next book yet. My phone went for a swim in the pool so I have to replace it. Even when you have insurance its expensive o_O. But im wondering how my players will fair. I mean they had 7 people in that last part and nearly all of them were dropped below zero at least once(except the wizard) and 2 of them actually died. So now that the party is down to 5(the 2 who died rage quit) im wondering if they will be ok...

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
At this point, I figured I'd run the Branderscar scenario and the Nine Lessons, and see how people like the feel of the game. [Most players in our group are not "White-Hats" but neither are they typically out and out villains. But everyone seemed interested in at least giving it a try.]

I made pre-gens (Love HeroLab!!) based on the players request, so our starting party looks like:

1) Female Gnome Witch. (Our player for this LOVES the "Animal Sidekick" aspect of the game, so I gave her a hedehog familiar, and will likely let her keep it for the opening scenario, since I don't think it will make or break the escape. I also gave it the "Beast of Ill Omen" feat, which the player seemed to raelly get a kick out of.)

2) Male Elven Anti-Paladin of Asmodeous. (Our player for this character loves being the "face" of the group, so there's opportunites to flirt (With Tiadora), impress (Grumblejack), and intimidate (guards/staff) in equal measure.

3)Male Dwarven Cleric. (Deity unknown; the player wanted to pick this and hasn't annoucned his decision yet; I suggested he pick someone who is at least sypathetic to Asmodues' cause, or one that is at least willing to ride Asmodeus' coattails to get his own followers back on the map.) The player playing this is out "serious" player.

4) Male Human Monk: (This is our "humorous: player.) He and I had a lot of fun brainstorming his Order; I just need to work some plot hooks in for him. (Since he's working towards the Tattooed Monk Prestige Class, we opted to have him be from the "Order of the Burning Crabs". Do monks feature at all in the remaider of the Path? Or do I have freee reign to create whole-cloth?

5) Halfling Rogue. (This is our "Support" player, so I geared him to be quite GOOD at a number of things, but not GREAT at any one thing.) We also gave him what I call the "Kender Feat", which is where he has a chance to have any "mundane item" on-hand as needed (DC to have it varies on the item needed.)

Anyone have any specific pitfalls to avoid in Branderscar?
Or more advice beyond what's already been posted?

Joshgenti

First Post
I was looking at the free Preview Scenario, where you break out of the Prison & had a question. How did people deal with Wizards? I know as a wizard you still have your spells memorized from earlier, so being down a spellbook early on isn't the WORSE thing ever.

And there are options to get a replacement... *Evil Smile*

But how do you get around the "Arcane Bond" in Pathfinder? Without a familiar (likely dead) or your masterwork bound item (likely confiscated) you must make a concentration check DC 20 + spell level to cast ANY spells. That's DC 21. Even if you use the stat build option outlined in the adventure, Focus & Foible, to get an 18 (20 with some racial bonuses) in your spell casting stat. That's still only about a 25% to make the concentration check. And having only about 4 spells means at best, your odds mean you'll get 1 spell off, the entire first scenario.

Seems a bit harsh. Now, I could house rule & drop the DC or make other changes, but that would change other dynamics of the game. Like how wizards treat their familiars, etc...

How have other people dealt with that?

Remove ads