• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice needed

Teacher Man

Explorer
Hi all,
I am going to start running a tournament style campaign for the RPG club I am co-advising using module G1 with the conversion. Right now I am giving them 6 level 15 characters

Human Paladin
Human Cleric
Half Elf Scout
Elf Wizard
Halfing Rogue
Dwarf Barbarian
Gnome Bard

But after looking at the module and the adjusted monsters (gulp), I'm thinking the players might be the ones getting slaughtered. The players do have some gaming experience, but I am not sure they've done a module like this.

Should I go with higher level characters? More magic items (They only have 2-3 per character) ? Should I leave them as is and let them learn the hard way?

Thanks

Dandu

First Post
Well, what do the monsters look like, and what are the character builds? I imagine we could give you suggestions on how to tone down the monsters or optimize the characters depending on what you want.

Offhand, I'd suggest you give them more than 2-3 magic items each, considering that in high level combat, it is usually assumed that the characters have about 200,000 gp worth of gear.

Last edited:

udalrich

First Post
You listed 7 characters. Do they choose 6 of them?

Without seeing at least some basic stats on the characters and the monsters, it is hard to give any advice.

That said, 15th level characters can do a lot. Especially if there are six of them, since extra actions are one of the games most valuable commodities.

I would also agree that they probably should have more magic items.

Teacher Man

Explorer
You listed 7 characters. Do they choose 6 of them?

Without seeing at least some basic stats on the characters and the monsters, it is hard to give any advice.

That said, 15th level characters can do a lot. Especially if there are six of them, since extra actions are one of the games most valuable commodities.

I would also agree that they probably should have more magic items.

I will give them more magic items for sure, and I meant 7 characters not 6. That's probably why I teach English and not math! :eek:

I will certainly give the characters more items, since I am not totally familiar with all the new toys in 3.5 are there any in particular a wizard would probably have?

Greenfield

Adventurer
My own view?

If you're using the RPG club as an opportunity for you to game, then do what you want.

If it's to be a general opportunity for the students (as opposed to one for the advisers/teachers) start them at 1st level. Let them build their characters. Run it as a long term campaign.

Make it more open to new players.

Or mix and match, and make sure there's a "Beginners Welcome" game available as well as your higher level one.

Just one supremely uninformed person's opinion.

nijineko

Explorer
g1? that's a fun module.

if my memory serves, that would be lots of giants of various types and dire wolves, along with some orcs, bugbears, some manticores, a dire ape or so, and some oddball creatures in the upper right and upper center of the lower level map. oh, right, and that one spot on the lower center that always struck me as completely out of context... ^^ not to mention the prisoners.

are you doing the full gdq 1-7, or just the g1, g2, and g3?

very historic those modules. the first ever grand debut of a certain race to d&d, now thought to be iconic.

Teacher Man

Explorer
The idea behind the 'tournament' was to give the 3-4 GMs a chance to actually play in a campaign, along with a couple of other deserving club members. I am in the process of giving the PCs more magic items as well. Just out of curiosity, is the wand of wonder in 3.5?

Thanks for all the help!

Remove ads