• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Advice on balancing a homebrew channel divinity

stuffnsuch

Explorer
I'm playing a Twilight Cleric and I'm not a huge fan of the CD (loads of temp HP; Frightened and Charmed conditions easily thwarted]. I'm aware of the myriad ways it can be tweaked but it's more an issue with it not suiting the character I'm playing so my DM and I are looking at ideas to replace the CD either with one from another class or with a homebrew.

The only element that should be carried over is that it is a dim light 30ft aura effect as this factors into the rest of their later abilities.

What do we think about swapping it for a nerfed version of the Peace Cleric's Emboldening Bond feature (30ft aura, allies get 1x1d4 once per turn) on the proviso that it's never used to stack with Bless because that feels cheesy. EB can usually be used proficiency times per rest and CDs are twice per short rest for the bulk of the game so the resource cost seems comparable.

EDIT: intent would be to also nerf the duration from 10 min to 1 min as per the Twilight Domain's original CD

Is this a trade of equal value? Less?

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
I would probably be fine with that honestly. What you get is solid. Doesn’t stack. If you want to nerf it further you could restrict it to either attacks or saves.

It’s something I’d let you roll with and then we’d revisit it in a few sessions.

Remove ads