• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Advice on Selling a large 3.5 collection?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at selling a large collection of D&D 3.5 books on ebay and am wanting some advice on how to best package them. I'm not interested in setting up one by one sales, but I do think that putting them altogether would put up the net price too high and put off potential buyers with too much stuff they don't want.

I'm thinking my options are:

1.) Sell everything in one big bulk package.

2.) Sell things in maybe 2 or 3 packages, each with a "theme", but I get lost here.

Any suggestions/advice would be fantastic. I should note that the quality of the books is by and large "good" or "excellent", with a few"acceptable".

magical item compendium
spell compendium
rules compendium
DMG
DMG 2
PHB
PHB 2
ELHB
HBGB
MM 3.0
MM 3.5
MM 2
Unearthed Arcana
Book of Iron Might
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Warrior
Fields of Blood
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
city works
Stronghold BGB
dungeonscape
frostburn
Manual of the planes
sandstorn
stormwrack
wildscape
draconomicon
dragon magic
drow of the underdark
Weapons of Legacy
d&D for dummies
dragonlance campaign setting
WoW D20 Revised
Red hand of doom
shattered gates of slaughterguarde
the banewarrens

NaturalFn20

First Post
If you do decide to put them in bundles, probably:
"Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Warrior"

could all go in a bundle.

"DMG
DMG 2
PHB
PHB 2
MM 3.0
MM 3.5
MM 2"

could be another bundle.

all the dragon books in another bundle and sandstorm, stormwrack and other territory campaign styled books might go together. Toss the compendiums together.

frankthedm

First Post
I'm looking at selling a large collection of D&D 3.5 books on ebay and am wanting some advice on how to best package them. I'm not interested in setting up one by one sales, but I do think that putting them altogether would put up the net price too high and put off potential buyers with too much stuff they don't want.
If you are putting them on ebay, you want to get people to pay for stuff they don't want. You turn bidders off by starting the auction price too high. You want those buyers fighting over the books from the first dollar bid!

First thing you should do is check out completed auction listing so you know what books sell well. Combine those hot sellers have some lower priced buddies with so high bidders can console themselves with "getting more for their money.:devil:". Second, make sure the action ends on a Sunday evening / night. Third, look for a dry spell when there are not so many copies of the books on ebay. Fourth, check the title for ANY misspellings, every day JIC.

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
Don't bundle the DMG, PHB etc. They fetch a nice price as single auctions if 3.5.
(Mention 3.5 in the title.) Rules Comp, and Spellcomp probably too.

Research the prices that these fetch on ebay by doing a Completed listings search.

Try to sell them via ENworld first. It saves you a lot of fees.

Don't bundle the DMG, PHB etc. They fetch a nice price as single auctions if 3.5.
(Mention 3.5 in the title.) Rules Comp, and Spellcomp probably too.

Research the prices that these fetch on ebay by doing a Completed listings search.

Try to sell them via ENworld first. It saves you a lot of fees.

How easy/risky is to sell on ENworld? I know nothing about this.

If you are putting them on ebay, you want to get people to pay for stuff they don't want. You turn bidders off by starting the auction price too high. You want those buyers fighting over the books from the first dollar bid!

First thing you should do is check out completed auction listing so you know what books sell well. Combine those hot sellers have some lower priced buddies with so high bidders can console themselves with "getting more for their money.:devil:". Second, make sure the action ends on a Sunday evening / night. Third, look for a dry spell when there are not so many copies of the books on ebay. Fourth, check the title for ANY misspellings, every day JIC.

I have shipped media mail before for very good rates, I sold 34 Exalted 1E books with a weight of about 40 pounds for only $45 in shipping I think.

I also have gone through both Amazon and Ebay and computed what if sold individually at the lowest price (at least as of March 29th 2011)Shipping NOT included and the totals are:
Ebay: $967, Amazon: $880, Min(Amazon,Ebay):$827
On April 19th Ebay is reducing their insertation fees AND their cut 9% on the first $100 instead of 9% on everything (if I'm reading it right).

See part of my problem/advantage is that I live a mile away from the US border in Canada. So, I can cross the border (but I have to walk across, not drive, or I get charged $15) and walk to the post office in Sumas (not too far) but I don't want to have to go 38 times (heck, even about 10 would be really pushing it.)

Light Knight

First Post
most of the books don't sell for much anymore. 10 to 15 if you are lucky, however the phb and spell compendium and a few cmplete books pull a pretty penny.

Rhun

First Post
The only problem I see with selling them as packages is that someone like me, who would be interested in a few of the items (but who already has everything else), wouldn't end up bidding on the packages.

Remove ads