Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Gez

First Post
Jumbie said:
I refuse to give up hope.

I've gone from checking daily to once every few days however.

First time I check in since my last post. I've kept the thread in my subscription folder just in case, but I think it's time to remove it for good.

Funeris

First Post
Well, I don't think the request for a pdf is an affront to your much appreciated work at compiling the SH or Sep's own writing. I think (and anyone that disagrees or wishes to expand--feel free to jump in) that, in general, a pdf is a more permanent copy than a downloaded thread. It tends to--depending on who does the compiling--look nicer and you can insert the artwork (with permission from the individual artists). You don't need to show all of the extraneous conversation going on within the threads...all the bumps, etc. when there are so many. Plus, .pdfs have the capability of being opened on any operating system...always with the same format. Everything looks as it was originally laid out--no weird formatting. And they also lack the possible virus problem.

Some of us are ready to give up on the thread ever being updated again. But we don't want to forget the thread or the happy happy joy joy it brang to us. So, we'll take the compiled pdf along on our travels beyond the story hour and pull it out one rainy day in the future to remember the goodness or mine it for ideas to assualt our own epic PCs with.

Of course...if there ever was another update...we'd be there, eyes glued and minds focused, as always. But not everyone holds out hope.

But, before I would even begin such a task...I'd want Sep's permission (I'd drop him an email) as well as the artists' permission to include their work. And since it would cut down on the time of production, I'd also ask permission to use your compilation, Cheiromancer.

And if I were to receive a definitive no from any of you...well, I'd just drop it.

If you need a marvelous example of a compiled SH...check out Sagiro's. One of his fans took the SH and crafted the perfect example. Plus, he regularly adds new chapters based on Sagiro's most recent updates.

Again, no offense was meant.

~Fune

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
No offense taken. :) I just didn't understand. But now I see the intent behind the request.

Hmmm. Downloading the thread yields a text document. Which can be edited to remove the extraneous bumps and so forth. But it does lose formatting. Probably the best way to get a good text document is to cut and paste from the thread directly. Then the italics and so forth are retained. Then you can jazz it up with art and so forth.

BTW I commissioned much of the artwork for the story hour, but I'd be happy to see them in any PDF that might be produced. They are in the thread somewhere, but were also uploaded to the Wyre Yahoo site. I had told the artists what the art was for, and while I am not sure we could charge money for a compilation, there should be no problem if it is distributed for free.

Funeris

First Post
Yup, I like the highlight and paste trick...that's what I use for my story hour.

And I agree that you couldn't charge money for a compilation. Usually, just the fact that the artist is mentioned and their work is in there and circulated is enough. Still, I'd probably ask them again (although if you commissioned them...and paid for them...I suppose legally you might be able to do whatever you want with them as long as you mention the artist's name) even though it would be for free.

Glad you weren't offended. ;)

~Fune

grodog

Hero
I'm moving on Friday, so perhaps I'll be able to ping Sep over the holiday weekend, or so. Depends on whether or not work keeps driving me insane, hours-wise.

On the permissions front, I doubt Sep would say no, since I'd asked about posting the files up on the Yahoo Group, as well as when I was sending updates out via email, and he was OK with both.

If you're looking for new projects to take on, Funeris, I suggest combing the Rogues Gallery, and associated rules-postings by Sep to build out a file with all of his fun rules, templates, demons, NPCs, etc. In my compilations on Yahoo, they're scattered throughout the files chronologically so that SH writing and relevant rules/RG entries/etc. are interleaved. Having the rules stuff in an independent file might also be worthwhile as a reference :D

grodog

Hero
Zaruthustran said:
Sounds like you know Sep in the real world. Any idea why he stopped updating?

We've spoken on the phone a handful of times, but beyond that and email, I only know Sep through his writing. I imagine that he's not writing because writing at the caliber that he does takes a lot of effort, and time, to produce, and that he's propably very picky about when a piece is "ready" for sharing in the SH. I'm guessing, though....

Darth Shoju

First Post
Sorry if Sep has mentioned this somewhere along the way but I just don't have time to double-check; has he said how long it typically takes him to write his updates? I've seen mention that it takes him a while (not surprising at all considering the superlative quality of the writing). I'm just wondering because I do a kind of story hour for my group that I post on our own messageboards and it tends to take me quite some time to write them up. I've always been afraid that I was just a very slow writer, so it would be re-invigorating to find out that someone of Sep's caliber works at a similar pace (not that I consider myself worthy of the comparison :) ).

Also, to make it easier to hide the fact that I read the storyhour at work ( ;) ), I've downloaded everything I could find across the various threads into a Word document (not including the Rogue's gallery, just the main story). After editing out the reply posts that weren't the actual updates, it comes in at over 600 pages. I'm currently reading through it and editing the format to make it more consistent (I was just copying and pasting it into word until I noticed the thread tools>download feature :p ). After I'm done I'll probably be making it into a .pdf. Would anyone be interested in a copy of it (and I hope Sep and Cheiro don't mind) ?

Remove ads