• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

After DDXP, how are you feeling about D&En?

How do you feel about D&Dnext/5E?

• Yay!

Votes: 173 64.1%
  • meh

Votes: 78 28.9%
  • Ick!

Votes: 19 7.0%

Agamon

Adventurer
Completely personal opinion is that you could turn focusing on your character sheet on and off during the game. If you wanted to do something cool you could either describe it or you could hunt for something to match it on your sheet. If you couldn't find it, you could still describe it and the DM could help you. This bit of rules legerdemain was what most impressed me and has to be experienced to be believed.

The DM couldn't show us his rules but he seemed confident in responding and it seemed consistant (standard procedure seemed to exist to show the DM how to handle a player saying, "I want to do X, what do I do?").

Put another way, 4E tried to provide this advice to the DM with that table of difficulty classes and scaling damages by level. Ironically, this info was on a clunky table and perhaps not surprisingly many DMs didn't use it or even know about it. Seminar on skills touched on the new version of the 4E rule I believe.

The way the DM ran it this time seemed like that classic 4E idea distilled from a clunky table into elegant modern mechanics. However, all personal opinion on my part as the DM did not let us see the rules he used (he respected his NDA as well).

This is the best news so far, IMO. This idea in 4e was awesome, the execution, no so much. Can't wait to check this out in the coming months....

Nebulous

Legend
I think this is a good reason for people who didn't like 4E to be excited: it seems like the things I'm really positive about in 4E are going away, and we're going back to the way things used to be.

I ran 4e for a long time, long enough to get tired of it and never want to go back. But i wouldn't want to go back to 3.5 either, i'd like to see the game evolve into something new. So yes, i'm excited. But...i get this vibe too, i don't think DnD Next is going to appeal to 4e lovers nearly as much as other groups. That said, give it a year and some crunchy supplements, and it probably will resemble 4e very closely for those that want to recreate tactical grid combat.

Agamon

Adventurer
They're just floating some ideas around like the great wheel, which really has been the default cosmology for most of the editions, with 4e being the outlier again.

Question in seminar: What would you like to see from older editions of D&D?

Rob: The Great Wheel would be cool

Internet: Oh noes, the great wheel is going to be core in 5e!!!

Me: Zuh?

avin

First Post
I'm also really starting to feel that this board and the Wizards board has an almost unacceptable bias towards 4E.

What? I find the opposite and have no dog on this race :)

In fact 4e is so different from previous editions that its the hardest to include in the mix, but I do believe they're trying.

In fact, it's a pretty easy mix. I've done it in my 4E Planescape games.

- Faerie (Feywild) and Shadoe as paralel? No problem on Great Wheel.
- Elemental Chaos changed to a place where all Elemental Planes intersect.
- Ethereal Plane back.
- Astral Plane doesn't have dominions, but roads to other planes.
- A few adjusts and it's done.

If Wizards wants to contact me (charge free) I'll send my notes :p

making a blend of the great wheel and the 4everse.

Probably.

But, please, they need to stop with 4E's idea of World Creation where everything is explained as Gods vs Primordials and everything exists because of it. 4E killed divine mystery.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm also really starting to feel that this board and the Wizards board has an almost unacceptable bias towards 4E. I'm sure that most people like me, when they tried 4E and it just wasn't right, also started leaving the online forums for D&D. I'm really thinking that people who play Pathfinder and the general gamer who isn't passionate enough to be online everyday discussing are probably going to either love or at least accept 5E.
I get the exact opposite vibes from this board.

Rechan

Adventurer
Meh. If I wanted to do what I'm seeing, I'd just pick up C&C or something else heralded as "old school". Which I don't.

Yes, I'm aware that there will be modules to change it, but let's put it this way: if you have to put a whole lot of fixings on a hamburger just to make it taste good, then that's not really a good burger.

I like some of their stated design goals, but not a whole lot of what I'm seeing. So while I'll wait and see, I'm restocking my bunker for the Next Great Edition War.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
I'll start with the caveat, my words will be harsh, but I understand they are in the early stages of development, and many things can change.

My first impression is, we already have this game on our shelves (or in my case, a cardboard box in the crawl space). Its pages are a bit yellower from age, and I might have some difficulty finding my bundle of house rules, but it is the same game. When I played this "next" iteration, it felt like I was playing AD&D with a bunch of house rules, and since those house rules are coming from the house of WoTC, we're just calling them rules. I don't really see the point.

I love many aspects of 4e. I think it was a step or three in the right direction. Maybe they lost a few flavor aspects, high level play got a bit out of hand, character presentation is poor, and mapless play lost its appeal, but those are things that could be addressed in a new edition. I've run a number of 4e session where there was combat, but I used a large scale map rather loosely, and it works fine. I don't feel a map is absolutely necessary to make 4e work. I've experimented with better representation of character information, I've taken precautions in my home games so some of the high level play options don't get out of hand. I like the "DM education" concepts they are preaching for the next edition, reigning in attack/defense bonuses, and a few other aspects. But those things could also be done on the 4e framework.

I would have much rather seen them go forward, rather than this whole zen approach of starting from basic D&D, and building up again, to rediscover the game of Dungeons and Dragons. It seems like a whole lot of work to give us something we already have. Yes most of our rules were hand written and in binders, but they were exactly how we wanted them to be. And we've moved on (well... admittedly, some of us haven't).

I played a dwarf cleric in the play test (i think I'm allowed to say that), and it felt very lackluster (after having played numerous 4e characters from level 1). My healing was pointless. I found only one combat useful spell among the 6 or 7 I had access to. Best thing I could do was swing my hammer or throw an axe, neither of which I did particularly well. I didn't feel like a dwarf, I didn't feel like a cleric, I didn't feel like an adventurer who could climb, jump, come up with solutions to puzzles, or invoke the name of his god in battle for tangible benefits. It was very bland, and very uninspiring. I had an AC, I had hit points, I could swing a weapon, and I could do damage. I guess we're calling that D&D these days. We did some mindless hack and slash, and though it was challenging at times, I quickly got bored with it. There was no story in the adventure, which was quite disappointing. A sandbox is not really appropriate for a play test. When I tried to do interesting things in combat, the options were not available to me. Aside from some interaction with terrain, it didn't look like there was any flavor to anything we could do.

It also felt a little bit like a board game, where you don't really care if your character dies, you'll just get another one from the box, and keep playing. I had a sense of the character being disposable, not a very good feeling for a role playing game.

And all the elements I hated from earlier editions seemed to crop into this edition. I don't care to collect weapons and armor from enemies we've dropped, just so we can sell them at half price and collect a few silver coins to buy ammunition. I don't care to have to take the rest of the day off after 5 minutes of adventuring. I guess I just no longer like "old skool" D&D. I felt the same way about 8 months ago when I tried Pathfinder. I've been spoiled by 4th edition, the edition of heroic games. I just want to go forward from here, not backwards. In 4th edition I feel great freedom in the DM chair to create adventures, to create a campaign, exactly the way it is in my vision.

They could easily achieve their "simple character" goal they seem to have with this edition, using any other edition. The things they are talking about for the simple characters is just a glorified pregenerated character. You can swap out components for customization. So, take a pregen character, and start retraining feats, powers, stats, etc, and voila, you have a "simple" character, and a "custom" character.

I will wait to see more, to see how the next layer of development will work out, and I will look through the open play test documents when they are available, but I am not optimistic. When 4e was coming out, I was hyped about everything, scoured ENWorld for every new tidbit of information, and ran demos the moment they were available. For next edition, I'm not sure I even want to be involved in play test, or give any feedback, because it would not be constructive. I would just sound like a hater and be ignored.

In conclusion, before DDXP, I was mildly intrigued but skeptical, after DDXP, I'm pretty disappointed with a very tiny spark of hope that lots will change when that next layer of granularity is added to the system. I want to like the next edition, because they are adding some good ideas in. But they are taking out way more than they are adding for my taste.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
And can we stop drowning babies? It was bad enough during the last Edition War when childhoods were raped, but this is a figure of speech that could be easily replaced with something more tasteful.

Like "molested my weasel" or something.
After reading all I can about 5E, the seminar, playtesters' experiences, and Monica Bellucci's taste in lingerie, my weasel is feeling slightly molested, but optimistic.

DMKastmaria

First Post
I'm starting to get the idea that the folks who are going to like 5e, are the ones who can enjoy playing 1e, without thinking "it's broken," 4e, without thinking "it doesn't feel like D&D," and 3e, without thinking "it's too overwrought."

Like Bill Cavalier recently said: "Does this game have dungeons? Does this game have dragons? I want to play this game!"

Anyone too married to their current system and play style, is going to be disappointed. I would include myself in that particular demographic.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Monte quote:
What we've done now is we have this thing called "advantage" that a DM can hand out if the players set themselves up with a good description.

Yeah, not a big fan of this type of thing.

The articulate intelligent player gets "advantage" nearly every session. The shy introverted player doesn't.

I understand that some people will say, "Well, this might pull the shy person out of his shell", but that's not really the job of the game mechanics. I'm not too keen on game mechanics that give advantages to some individual players and not to others. I prefer a more equitable system and have a strong fairness streak in me.

I also am a fan of "let the dice fall the way they fall" and am not into Karma systems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads