• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Against Nockmort!

Tormal

First Post
I like the sound of those potions! That may help out more then we think.

If we do engage Nockmort I generally like that plan. From what I've observed Luvaine primarily throws his weapons so i'm not sure how effective the potion would be for him. For Gelvin that would significantly increase his damage but with his HP being so low it may not be useful for very long. Tough call.

I'm also not entirely sure how hard it will be to remove the stone from Nockmort and/or destroy his weapon. Keep in mind if Gelvin can actually destroy one of them he can use his Psionic weapon ability to increase the damage against an object as well.

Now I do have another idea and this one is definately an unknown for me. Doesn't Ceru have some dream potions left? What effect or use could/would these have in a situation like this?

I think our primary goal is to figure out what is going on w/ the town and correct the problem. But it seems that Nockmort stands in our way of doing so. If we are unable to fell Nockmort then we are obviously going to need to escape and try to return at another time. If we can make Nockmort 'sane' again we accomplish most of this. If we kill him, we're one step closer to our goal. If we run we will not have accomplished anything but buying ourselves time and energy. Or, we can run from Nockmort but not the complex and try to find the antidote and leave. Or, perhaps we can get the antidote and seal the cave some how?

Just ideas.

Anyway... Can we get a full inventory of things/abilities that may be overtly useful from everyone? I'll start here and edit it as people post.

So far...

Potions of Tholos (Tormaling weapon 5 rds) x2
Deigh's Spring Attack
Deigh's Dagger (+2 to INI)
Torches (At least 4 on Gelvin)
Sunder (Nockmort's amulet and/or weapon)
Masterwork Cold Iron Mace (If somone needs a weapon)
Immovable Rod
Spider Climb

Last edited:

injuredwyvern

First Post
I do still have dream potions, and if we could get Nockmort in the realm of dreams, I could do some serious damage to him. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he's not asleep right now. I'm all for blocking the door with the immovable rod, but it does have a weight limit, I'm not sure if its stronger than a tree. We could use it and barricade the door with other stuff as well maybe. Those planar ally spells I can cast are 10 minute casting times. It would summon a 6HD elemental. That is a 4th level spell and I can cast it twice. I don't think my other spells would be of much help right now, but I'll list them in case somebody can think of something. They are Etheral Projection, Onieric Bolt, and Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. I could of course use these spell slots on lower level spells, but there isn't any incredibly useful spell jumping out at me. I have 1 first level spell remaining, which I imagine will be a CLW.
It doesn't come up as an option often because Ceru is relatively slow and weak, but I am at full HP (39), and can fight in melee if it comes to it. I would have to use my club though because I hate using metal weapons.
We could always try to talk our way out of this. Isn't Nockmort going insane? Couldn't we try to confuse him? Or maybe we can bargain with him? We do have that giant chunk of rock. Maybe he'll get rock envy if we show him that ours is bigger than his?

Macbeth

First Post
Could you explain what Oneric Bolt and Etheral Projection do?

Resilliant Sphere, eh? there's got to be something we coudl do with that... If nothing else, it gives one of us a few minutes to run away.

injuredwyvern

First Post
Etheral Projection is pretty much an Etheral Jaunt, but it separates the spirit and the body. Basically, the spirit can act independently as an etheral manifestation, while your body waits in stasis wherever you cast the spell. It would work well for scouting purposes mostly. I don't see much use for it in this battle. Onieric Bolt is a spell that deals direct physical damage when cast in the dream realm. It is the only spell that can do that. Any other spell cast in the dream realm can only deal dream damage. It won't be much use here. The sphere probably won't help much either beacuse the person trapped in the sphere can't move the sphere. I think there is also a size limit on the sphere, so I don't think we could trap Nockmort and flee.

I think if we block ourselves in here, then Nockmore will just go get reinforcments. We should try to prevent that. If we make good use of held and readied actions, we could open the doors, have Luvaine, Oceas, Deigh, and whoever else attack, then close the doors back up. It might keep them Nockmore from leaving, but won't let him in. Of course he could ready an action too.

Macbeth

First Post
Yeah, just caught that about the sphere... but if it can't be moved, then it makes it the perfect door blocker: one of us just lets it be cast on us while standing in front of the door.

BSF

Explorer
Ceru's Ethereal Projection doesn't work quite like the spell description. The lack of an Ethereal Plane really limits it. (The Ethereal Plane was turned into clothes by Mhata Nahal.) It should probably be Spirit Projection since the Spirit Relam overlays the material. Alternatively, it could be shadow or fey, but the decision would have to be made as a permanent decision.

Tormal

First Post
Well.. It seems our options are very limited.

It seems we're going ot have to decide on what we plan on doing then go from there. I'm all for confronting Nockmort and trying to either destroy him or make him sane some how. If we do this we should of course try and talk to him and if that doesn't work enagage in battle.

As for a plan for fighting I think we have outlined most of what we can do. If Oceas or Kind would speak up it may offer a few more options. Because the summoning time on the elementals is so outrageous I'm not sure we can make that work unless we decide to block Nockmort for that long.

We should use those potions of course and see if Oceas or Kind have any more healing for whoever is going to engage in melee. Gelvin should try to sunder the amulet, Luvaine and Deigh engage and try to keep Nockmort distracted and do as much damage, Oceas should try and heal and support and/or engage with Seache and Ceru and Kind should only engage if they're completely out of options.

One other question regarding the dream potions - can they be used in some other way? To possibly talk to nockmort or find another way out?

injuredwyvern

First Post
I guess it would be most appropriate to have this apply to the Spirit Realm. I don't have a strong connection to Fey (at least not as strong as spirits). As for the plane of Shadow, I have another spell (not available yet, but I will get it) that is basically Shadow Projection.

Meowzebub

First Post
Tyrm did also have 2 healing potions if I remember right. That might help Galvin and Deigh out a bit.

Talking should be option one, unless he rushes us. Hell, that Naga may have been a pain in his ass, what with the secret passage behind his alter and all. Of course, it could also have been his best freind. :\

The importance of the Starmetal to him may play in our factor. Also, he does not know how beat up we are.

Macbeth

First Post
Social path should be a first option in this case... try to talk our way out without lies first, then lie, then intimidate. And if push comes to shove, I say we make a fighting retreat.

Also, as it turns out, I was wrong about the treants moving slow. BSF corrected me, when fully healed the treant moved at about our speed.

Remove ads