• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Against the Slavers A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity

Bob Aberton

First Post
Captain Crosstree prepares a stinging retort to the first half of Thunderword's statement, but is cut short by the cleric's observation of the state of the port.

What an infuriating...

"I shared your expectations, cully; in my day - eh, which is to say, last time I was here there was a scene that would have fitted yer expectations more. I don't like the looks of this, not at all.

Thellys, Orbril; you know a bit of magic. Can you tell me whether these fellows in our reception party have similar knowledge?"

The Captain goes below shortly after Marcon, and buckles on his rapier & dagger. He places his best cocked hat on his head, and darts on deck once more to take charge of the docking operation.

"Alright, furl all superfluous sail; t'gallants, courses, an' staysails. Steady on the helm, Black. Back the foretopsail, now, ease the spanker. Fenders out, hands stand by docklines.

I said 'steady on the helm,' Black. 'Steady' does not mean 'steer the ship in a sort of zigzag fashion.' Now, helm down, Black, luff the spanker, sheet in headsails."

The WHORE O' THE SEAS glides alongside and then noses into the dock. Her sails are furled & her docklines cleated to the bitts.

Captain Crosstree stands on the quarterdeck and fingers his rapier-hilt in preparation for the welcoming party.

Feinar did not draw his weapons, but was definatly ready to. He took a step up to the point of the ship to watch the things ahead of them. After a moment, he said over his shoulder in a calm voice, "I doubt that arguing amongst ourselves this early will assist anyone..."

Halivar

First Post
OOC: I'll go ahead and post since most have posted, and we're not in combat, so Orbril and Thellys aren't missing much.

On your way to the docks, a crewmember points out to Cpt. Jack, and anyone else on the deck, that there are ships under the water. Surely enough, you can see the top masts of sunken ships just below the water line. Luckily they're deep enough down that the Whore clears the obstacles easily (it also helps that you have no cargo).

Also, Capt. Jack, you can see a large iron gate in the water off to the side of the docks that, though rusty, is newer than your last visit to Highport. Someone has decided to install a drydock in Highport. Unfortunately, you're not being invited to enter it.

You can now see that there are ten goblins, short and unkempt, along with a rotund human and a large, brutish half-orc. Upon closer inspection, you can see that they are wearing what was, at one point, finery of some kind, with the goblins wearing very nice children's clothes. As happens when one wears the same outfit for years without changing it, they are now faded tatters.

As the Whore glides into the dock, crew-members repel amidships and expertly halt the ship. Then they scurry to the bow and stern to secure lines thrown to them. Neither the human nor his companions make any effort to stop or harrass the sailors. They do, however, move amidships, apparently waiting for the plank to be lowered. The human and half-orc seem very calm and and serious, while the goblins are sort of bored and restless. Some are exclaiming something repeatedly, which you have trouble hearing. Finally you get that they're saying something like, "Inspection!" (listen 20 + 4).

Very soon, the boat is securely fastened to the dock. Capt. Jack, it appears your new friends expect to be let aboard.

Last edited:

Bob Aberton

First Post
Jack looks slightly abashed at Feinar's words.

"Just having a little joke with him, 's all. Not my fault if he doesn't have a sense o' humor..."

...like every other Heironeite I've ever met. But then, they are morally perfect, aren't they? I'm here o' my own free will, I'm on his side, an' he still looks at me like I was straight out of the Pit. Talk about under-appreciated...

Upon hearing the cry of the sailor, he looks down into the water; sure enough, the fighting tops of a fine full-rigged vessel are wavering in the water beneath his own ship.

Not only pirates, but wreckers as well? Gods - even you, Heironeous, though I know you don't think much of me - grant we won't end up that way...[I/]

Seeing the reception party waiting for a gangplank, he calls to Mr. Jenks, the Mate,

"Mr. Jenks! Give these fine fellows a boarding plank or two. And while you're at it, think of some excuse as to why we don't have a cargo when they inspect us..."

He carries with him a big sheet of documents (all false); bills of lading; certificates of pratique, & the like, not to mention a forged copy of the ship's log. He only hopes the forgers that his backers hired are as good as they said they were.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Orbril steady himself on deck, his lips contorting into a sneer when he saw the goblins and imagined what they had done to his clansmen. Reaching down he knotted his hand into Mr Pymms fur and that atleast helped to calm him.

"Be ready" he whispered to his two companions "stand to"

Hammerhead

Explorer
Marcon, his armor now equipped, marches to the deck, weapons and shield ready. Remember, be deceptive. It's our only chance. Is my holy symbol hidden?Looking down, Malcon reassures himself that it is indeed hidden benath his armor. Staring crossly at the goblins as they come aboard, he folds his arms and tersely asks, What do you want?

Halivar

First Post
Five of the goblins tromp up the plank, followed by the rotund human, the surly half-orc, and the other five goblins. The goblins immediately rush about, crying, "Inspection! Inspection!"

The human walks up to Capt. Jack, and says, "Greet'n's, mi'lawd capeetan, me n' this 'ere Gruk is d' officiatin' customs ociffers o' dis 'ere illoostrious municilipality. We's 'ere t' make good n' sure you've got no contraband on board. Now, you've got d' proper papers, right?" He holds out his hand expectantly.

Meanwhile, the goblins start calling out, "Contraband siezure! Contraband siezure!" Looking around, you can see that the goblins are carrying off wine barrels, rations, rope, and three appear to be trying to drag a life boat off.

Bob Aberton

First Post
"Papers all in order, an' no contraband in th' hold," Jack says complacently, handing over the forged ship's papers and crossing his fingers behind his back.

Then he sees the goblins making off with his stores.

"Hey, now! You stop that! Lay off, you little whoreson buggers! Thet lifeboat ain't contraband!" He shouts, drawing his rapier halfway before he thinks better of it. He speaks in controlled but clearly displeased tones to the human. "Call this an inspection? Out an' out thievery's more like it! C'mon, cully, don't tell thet me spare hawsers an' lifeboats is illegal in this 'illustrious municipality!'"

Suffering St. Cuthbert! I've heard o' greedy port officials, but this is ridiculous!

(OOC: I guess this would be a Diplomacy check. I assume you do the rolls?)

ferretguy

First Post
Fighting the revulsion he feels by being near such obvious scum, Tarasin moves nearby the goblins, Aye, calling our food contraband must mean that you would be having stock in one of the inns of the town. Or that maybe you know how bad this stuff actually tastes after being out at sea for the time we have been.

rangerjohn

Explorer
ferretguy said:
Fighting the revulsion he feels by being near such obvious scum, Tarasin moves nearby the goblins, Aye, calling our food contraband must mean that you would be having stock in one of the inns of the town. Or that maybe you know how bad this stuff actually tastes after being out at sea for the time we have been.

"Yes, I would hate to have to make your face uglier than it already is" Thellys says making threatening arcane gestures.

Remove ads