• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ahsoka - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
He literally just picked up a prisoner from a surviving Jedi.
Did he? Most likely he picked her up from whatever Outer Rim jail cell she was stashed in. And while she's important to Ahsoka, why would the rest of the galaxy think she was anything much? Former executive on Corellia yes, but by the time Ahsoka found her, she was reduced to running a tiny settlement on a backwater planet that most of the New Republic has never heard of.
The audience shouldn't have to make up excuses for why a character does something inexplicably stupid.
And nor should they criticise that character for being genre-blind.
Instead, write him as smart and competent, so that when the baddies still triumph, it makes them look that much more dangerous.
We as the audience know that letting someone pretending to be a Jedi onto a starship can only end badly. That doesn't translate to the people in-universe knowing it. At this point in time, Ahsoka is literally the only Force-user who is actively engaging with the galaxy at large in any capacity, and she's doing so at a very small scale, a long way out from the more civilised worlds, and practically nobody knows she even exists. Nobody expects that a couple of people turning up claiming to be Jedi will turn out to be anything but charlatans, and even if they're actual Force users, nobody really understands the magnitude of what that means anymore.
This episode does the exact same thing with green-skinned general lady later on, as, "I'm sure Sabine taking off with the most important and dangerous object in the universe will be fine" cuts to Sabine having the most important and dangerous object in the universe taken from her. Because of course it does.
Hera knows Sabine to be one of her most competent and resourceful comrades. There's practically nobody in the galaxy she'd trust more. Not even Ahsoka, frankly.

Zardnaar

Legend
My thoughts
Better than obi/boba but not as good as andor/mandalorian (so far)

Was the David tenant character robot in the rebels show? Don’t remember him but he’s already 1 of my favorites

Hope we see zeb but have a feeling he isn’t in the show

Agree with poster 1 that this literally takes moments from Indiana jones top gun etc and just copied it
Dialogue seems to be slow
Makeup not as good or believable as strange worlds for aliens (see hemmer)
Jedi combat seemed not as good as previous work

Overall it’s enjoyable and great for rebels fans but I was expecting mandalorian quality

Just curious for those who watched at the top of the hour did you feed cut out in episode 2 and cause you to go back in

I would argue its better than both Mandalorian and Andor. Comparing the first two episodes to first two episodes.

Andors first three episodes were slow, Mando season 1 E1-2. So best SW show debut imho how it finishes up we'll see.

Show looked great.

Last edited:

I will never, ever understand this sentiment. Good writing and entertainment are not antithetical. Turn off my brain? Bad writing takes me right out of the story, and my entertainment value plummets. Unless it gets so ridiculous that I start having fun at a meta level, like the last episode of Mandalorian. But at that point, I'm basically watching pro wrestling.

Take the opening scene of Ahsoka. The opening of an entire series is super important, and this one took me instantly out of the story:

1. A text crawl. Okay, I know, Star Wars, and you could make a case for it with the original movie because there was a lot of narrative heavy lifting needed to plunk the audience in media res like that, but at this point it's just a lazy trope, IMO, so right away instead of being in the story I am kind of rolling my eyes. And, quite frankly, the backstory presented in the text crawl sounded way more interesting than what was in this episode - they should have started by showing us that story! Still, Star Wars gotta Star Wars, so I can let it slide.

2. Smart person does something indescribably stupid to set plot in motion. The Republic spaceship commander declaring that he will let the obvious bad guys onboard to "call their bluff" is exactly like the teenager going down alone into the basement in the middle of the slasher movie. Every single person watching knows exactly what is going to happen and is screaming at him to not be such a moron. Consider that: A) he is transporting a high value prisoner that these obviously bad guys somehow know about, so something has to be up; B) they are using old Jedi codes and he knows that Jedi are real and very powerful since he just received a prisoner from Ahsoka; C) what if they just want to get a ship onboard so they can, I dunno, blow it up or something?

There is no world in which his decision makes any kind of sense. But no, he goes to confront the very Jedi-looking bad guys (with clearly visible lightsabers) with just six guards, making sure to stand as close as possible for the inevitable impalement. Because putting themselves needlessly in harms way is what a captain does, I guess? Then, after effortlessly disposing of him and the six guards, Bad Jedi Apprentice magically appears on the bridge within literal seconds, because apparently Jedi can now teleport as well (recall that the opening shot established how massive this ship is). And then she does it again because we cut to her with Bad Jedi Master down in the prisoner block, since apparently they now have complete run of the ship. Bad Jedi Master demonstrates a convenient new Jedi power that allows him to magically unlock prisoner cells (this magical unlocking power also conveniently goes away in the next scene when Ahsoka could have used it). Then we get some classic expositing where the villains lay out their plan for the audience and set up the next scene.

It's just all so lazy. As an audience member, my takeaway was that the New Republic are led by idiots who deserve to lose (this will be doubled and tripled down on throughout the episode) and that the writers lack even one original idea (seriously, someone tell me one original idea that happened in this entire episode. Just one).

Why not have the Bad Jedi stealth their way onto the ship through a good plan and their powerful Jedi abilities, to demonstrate that they are both clever and capable. Then have things go south after they use stolen codes or brute force to bust out the prisoner, so they cut their way to freedom despite facing some truly formidable foes - a competent captain and tough, persistent Republic soldiers. That would tell me that I should take these bad guys seriously, because they went right through some pretty tough opposition, demonstrating both smarts and strength - Ahsoka better look out! And leave me with some mystery - hint about what is happening next, but don't just lay it all out like Dr. Evil giving a powerpoint presentation.
The ship captain doesn't do something stupid. He thinks he's letting two idiot imperials onto his ship for an easy arrest, rather than letting them fly away.

pukunui

Legend
As I mentioned upthread, I think what @Clint_L is demonstrating here is that this show unfortunately doesn’t stand on its own that well for someone who isn’t familiar with the cartoons.

Case in point: @wicked cool David Tennant’s droid, Huyang, was previously seen in the Clone Wars. He’s the droid who taught younglings how to make their lightsabers after they’d retrieved their kyber crystals from Ilum. If you haven’t seen the Clone Wars episodes he features in, you’ll have no idea who he is.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
As I mentioned upthread, I think what @Clint_L is demonstrating here is that this show unfortunately doesn’t stand on its own that well for someone who isn’t familiar with the cartoons.

Case in point: @wicked cool David Tennant’s droid, Huyang, was previously seen in the Clone Wars. He’s the droid who taught younglings how to make their lightsabers after they’d retrieved their kyber crystals from Ilum.
completely disagree. I've never seen any of the cartoons. It was easy to follow. Super easy.

pukunui

Legend
completely disagree. I've never seen any of the cartoons. It was easy to follow. Super easy.
That’s good to hear. Nevertheless, you would appreciate it so much more if you had watched the cartoons (particularly Rebels) first.

And, the New Republic is led by a massive beauracracy that is newly in place after defeating a massive empire. What do you expect? I'd expect them to be not all that good at running a galaxy.
I appreciated the conversation with Dr Taub from House about how the New Republic bureaucracy is riddled with Imperials. I’m guessing not all of them had to go through the amnesty program. Some of them probably just kept on working.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
That’s good to hear. Nevertheless, you would appreciate it so much more if you had watched the cartoons (particularly Rebels) first.

I appreciated the conversation with Dr Taub from House about how the New Republic bureaucracy is riddled with Imperials. I’m guessing not all of them had to go through the amnesty program. Some of them probably just kept on working.
sure, if I knew the characters I'd get more of the little things....but really, it isn't necessary to enjoy the show on its face. People, some people, just get too hung up on things that the huge, vast, majority of viewers don't care about (not you.....).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

I don't find this hard to believe at all. In Italy, after WWII, a huge number of military officers, policemen, judges, secret agents, prefects, etc, transitioned from the fascist regime to the republic.

Vael

Legend
The ship captain doesn't do something stupid. He thinks he's letting two idiot imperials onto his ship for an easy arrest, rather than letting them fly away.

Precisely. There's an expectation of genre savviness that is not necessary. In a galaxy with at least billions of sentients ... Jedi were 10,000 strong at their height before Order 66. Now there's less than a 100, but we are calling the Captain an idiot for making the logical thought that some Imperials got their hands on an old Jedi code?

I do think where the show suffers is

a) Jesus, Ahsoka, emote!!!!! I'm so fekkin tired of Star Wars TV protagonists whose only emotion is 'combat intensity.' Like, I know her backstory has her facing a lot of trauma and loss of friends, so yeah, you can have a character who is stony-faced, but why would you as a writer choose that, especially for your whizbang sci-fi action series? I know Rosario Dawson can be vulnerable, angry, charming, etc. You're wasting her.

b) Where's Marcia Lucas when you need her? Famously, Marcia Lucas tightened up the slothish pacing of the original Star Wars, making it punchy. Well, this show spent like 3 minutes on Ahsoka turning some dials in an empty temple. There are conversations where one person talks, and the next person waits a couple seconds before responding. And then there are action sequences with 2 or 3 seconds of running just for the sake of running, and while it might not seem like a lot, that stuff matters.

That said, the actual action is pretty cool. I dig the worldbuilding (including actual guard rails in that Republic factory! Lothal take note!). Chopper wanting to do war crimes is charming. The new bad guys are neat (though the witch is a bit stiff). I'm intrigued by the idea of going to a new galaxy. I like us having a maybe-Padawan who kinda stinks at the Force.

I just hope they give Ahsoka a character arc. She's letting me down so far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads