Ai and generating an outcome

If AI generators used public domain as training or had actual permissions would you be okay with it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Yes if they had actual consent

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Yes but only with public domain

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • AI anything should be banned and the technology outlawed.

Votes: 2 4.4%

Scribe

Legend
Two votes for an outright ban....

I was meeting with one of my companies partners last week, and we were having a discussion around the incorporation of AI into our business model. Discussing high level some of the changes we would need to make, what we could leverage for data management and reporting, things of that nature.

We both acknowledged that its a lot like training our replacements via outsourcing that still continues to hurt NA IT departments.

There was an awkward pause while we accepted that we would be replaced before we continued our planning, because its what we are paid to do.

Ryujin

Legend
I was meeting with one of my companies partners last week, and we were having a discussion around the incorporation of AI into our business model. Discussing high level some of the changes we would need to make, what we could leverage for data management and reporting, things of that nature.

We both acknowledged that its a lot like training our replacements via outsourcing that still continues to hurt NA IT departments.

There was an awkward pause while we accepted that we would be replaced before we continued our planning, because its what we are paid to do.
My work ethic, all along, has been that my goal is to both create processes and train users in such a way to make myself redundant, for current issues, because new issues always arise. Now I'm just hoping to make it a few more years before I choose to retire.

Scribe

Legend
My work ethic, all along, has been that my goal is to both create processes and train users in such a way to make myself redundant, for current issues, because new issues always arise. Now I'm just hoping to make it a few more years before I choose to retire.

Yep. My exposure to the impacts of outsourcing started very early in my career, heck almost immediately because thats just the nature of the work, it can be done remote, and so to save money (because corporations and private companies do not care about people), it is.

AI will be that, in its final form. Why pay a human at all, in India or otherwise?

I'm riding this as long as I can, and then I'll be working as a Janitor or in a Gym, or holding a shovel somewhere, because the pay is better than I'll get doing anything else in my community.

The writing has been on the wall long enough, that I've been in 'max save, prepare for being made redundant' for 15+ years.

Sicne we haven't do a general AI thread or a poll, i thought i'd ask the question/
Unfortunately because you worded the poll so badly, your results are completely meaningless even as a survey of ENworld!

Personally, I'd suggest that "public domain" is a dangerously nebulous concept, so for-profit AI should not really be allowed to train on that. Particularly because of the "tragedy of the commons" issue, which you seem to be unaware of. If AI can be used for a profit, especially AI art/writing can be copyrighted, it's going to essentially steal everything that is public domain, and then make it private, and be used to sue people who do works derivative from public domain sources. Do you understand this? If AI art/writing can never be copyrighted, then that's workable, but that's the only way that works.

Re: actual consent, it would have to be informed, positive consent from the actual, specific artists/writers. And that's not what's happening. Instead, large platforms which have fat EULAs/TOSes are beginning to attempt to make deals to essentially sell off the artwork of the artists/writers to AI companies, without informed consent from any of those people, and without positive consent either - positive consent means opting in. Whereas here companies are generally trying to make it opt-out - which isn't really consent at all (by any meaning of the term) - if they're allowing even that.

The writing has been on the wall long enough, that I've been in 'max save, prepare for being made redundant' for 15+ years.
Something that has never been an option for the vast majority of people under 40 today, and not for a lot of people under 50, if they ever went through periods of precarity. You really need a situation where you outright own a house/flat to make that approach even potentially viable.

Unfortunately because you worded the poll so badly, your results are completely meaningless even as a survey of ENworld!

Personally, I'd suggest that "public domain" is a dangerously nebulous concept, so for-profit AI should not really be allowed to train on that. Particularly because of the "tragedy of the commons" issue, which you seem to be unaware of. If AI can be used for a profit, especially AI art/writing can be copyrighted,
The news which you seem to be unware of is that courts ruled that AI art can't be copy righted.

The news which you seem to be unware of is that courts ruled that AI art can't be copy righted.

No, I'm well aware that it currently cannot, but that ruling was at a district level, and unfortunately isn't the end of the process.

This is the same guy as in your article. If courts keep ruling against him and others, great. But people like Thaler are taking a sort of shotgun/bootstrap approach, of trying as many jurisdictions as possible, in the hope that if he can get an "in" in any of them, then he'll be able to work from there.

And that's ignoring the next part of the problem - politicians - we've already seen lobbying start on this issue, in various countries, and a number of places have put out articles trying to lay the groundwork for AI art to be copyright'd. The hope is that if the courts, following current law, won't allow this work to be copyright'd, politicians can be convinced to simply change the law.

Will this be successful? We have to hope not, because the potential chaos it could cause is ungodly. But that's a separate discussion.

Scribe

Legend
Something that has never been an option for the vast majority of people under 40 today, and not for a lot of people under 50, if they ever went through periods of precarity. You really need a situation where you outright own a house/flat to make that approach even potentially viable

Oh I have been blessed, was mercilessly frugal, and put everything I could into my house, and then savings.

I've been lucky, and watching knowing how it's going for my son?

I know the bullet I've dodged.

Remove ads