Ai and generating an outcome

If AI generators used public domain as training or had actual permissions would you be okay with it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Yes if they had actual consent

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Yes but only with public domain

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • AI anything should be banned and the technology outlawed.

Votes: 2 4.4%

I am surprised by the high number of yes vote here (especially on the first item, totalizaing 40+% so far) because given the tone of the discussions, I'd have thought the local crowd was much more against AI on principles rather than because of the legal uncertainties about scraping the Internet.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I am surprised by the high number of yes vote here (especially on the first item, totalizaing 40+% so far) because given the tone of the discussions, I'd have thought the local crowd was much more against AI on principles rather than because of the legal uncertainties about scraping the Internet.
The question posed is if AI got permission, would we be OK with it. Seeing as how that's the #1 concern myself and others have voiced, it shouldn't be a surprise that it got a lot of yes votes.

My vote is #1, too - proper licensing of training material is one of my major concerns with AI-generated content. I do, however, wonder what the difference between #1 and #3 is. To me #1 already implies artists consenting to the use of their material for AI training.

My vote is #1, too - proper licensing of training material is one of my major concerns with AI-generated content. I do, however, wonder what the difference between #1 and #3 is. To me #1 already implies artists consenting to the use of their material for AI training.

My understanding is that #3 requires actual consent, while 1 is having permission to use, either because copyright has lapsed and the work entered the public domain, or because some other reason gave permission to use, like a law giving a blancket exception for AI training, or a specific exception (like "universities can train models as part of their mission to diffuse knowledge as long as they give it to the public for free" or say the library of congress).

Ryujin

Legend
My understanding is that #3 requires actual consent, while 1 is having permission to use, either because copyright has lapsed and the work entered the public domain, or because some other reason gave permission to use, like a law giving a blancket exception for AI training, or a specific exception (like "universities can train models as part of their mission to diffuse knowledge as long as they give it to the public for free" or say the library of congress).
I read them as being essentially the same, however, I chose 3 to be beyond all doubt ;)

I figured that it would be obvious for something that requires no consent (public domain), or for which the artist/author is dead and therefore cannot provide consent.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
1705969609628.png

Remove ads