• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, it’s the same article.

It’s hilariously telling on themselves. It’s a lot of repeated “everything is protected by copyright, if we can’t violate copyright we’re doomed.”

Such as:

“The maker of ChatGPT has warned that a ban on using news and books to train chatbots would doom the development of artificial intelligence.

OpenAI has told peers that it would be “impossible” to create services such as ChatGPT if it were prevented from relying on copyrighted works, as it seeks to influence potential laws on the topic.”

and:

“In evidence submitted to the House of Lords communications and digital committee, OpenAI said: “Because copyright today covers virtually every sort of human expression – including blog posts, photographs, forum posts, scraps of software code, and government documents – it would be impossible to train today’s leading AI models without using copyrighted materials.”

Even the people making the damned “AI” admit they violate copyright to train their programs.
Yeah, no, this won't doom generative AI.

It might doom OpenAIs business model, but that's okay.

Scribe

Legend
Take a quick look at history and then get back to me.

There comes a point where what comes next, is fundamentally on a completely different level than what came before, and this is a step towards it.

Ultimately, I know that it wont be stopped, I know I wont be stopping anything, and it will take social media applying pressure, like we see against WotC, to prevent the use of these 'tools' in replacing artists and removing their livelihoods. Its a stop gap, but I'm sure those who are currently paid artists, like the writers and actors who have gone on strike recently to gain their own protections from being replaced, appreciate it all the same.

The people of the world wont riot until its to late.

Ryujin

Legend
Generally speaking it's relatively menial jobs, not creative ones, that are made redundant by advances in technology. And it didn't require that the lamp lighters train the electric lamps on their job, before becoming redundant.

TheSword

Legend
Legislation already condemns copyright violations. The people making these “AI” programs have already admitted to several layers of hundreds of thousands of copyright violations, including illegally torrenting hundreds of thousands of books to train their programs. We don’t need new laws, the existing ones already cover this. They simply need to be enforced. And again, the people doing this freely admit that with copyright laws in their current form what they’re doing is illegal.
Well as much as I bow to your superior legal wisdom I leave it to the various Supreme Courts of the multitudinous jurisdictions involved to make that determination.

There will clearly be legal arguments on both sides and I strongly suspect the courts will equivocate and pass this back to legislature. Courts do not like being at the cutting edge of technology as a general rule.

Not to mention that there are many countries that won’t be stopped by the UK or USA’s copyright laws either way. The article makes it clear that an overly perjorative hand in this will push control into a less transparent corner of the world. I don’t know how true that is but I can see it being a concern.

Remove ads