AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Memoir writers are the least of it.

Radiologists, lawyers, accountants, all sorts of folks working white collar jobs had better watch their backs.

If there's anything in your job that is boring and repetitive, someone is going to try and automate it. If you're lucky, it'll just be those portions of your job, but realistically, lots of companies will be "ambitious" and try to automate far more of it.

And just because they can't automate it in 2023 doesn't mean your job is safe in 2025. The rate of AI advancement is accelerating rapidly.
All true. Unfortunately.

aco175

Legend
I do not think it will stop. Likely will be a problem for many. Not sure if any worse than moving manufacturing overseas in the 70s and 80s or trying to move things back today. Technology changes things. I saw a video on how the whaling industry became basically extinct in 1 year once kerosene was invented. But how many types of jobs came from that.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I do not think it will stop. Likely will be a problem for many. Not sure if any worse than moving manufacturing overseas in the 70s and 80s or trying to move things back today. Technology changes things. I saw a video on how the whaling industry became basically extinct in 1 year once kerosene was invented. But how many types of jobs came from that.
It’s a difference of scale. Those were one industry at a time. This is several dozen effectively at once. And this isn’t going to slow down or stop. And many of the so-called low-skill jobs people can generally fall back on are disappearing to automation, too. Or will be very soon. It’s going to make the Great Depression look like a minor financial downturn.

I say we pull a page out from fiction and put AI into forbidden technology, kill any one who attempt to bring it forth. That seems to be the way some people feel about it anyway...

Otoh, people will adapt after the initial shock and very rough patches.

Last edited:

Andvari

Hero
I've always stood by that anything that requires a soul cannot be replicated through AI.

AI painters have no purpose in their strokes, since they don't even stroke a canvas. AI writers will throw concepts into their sentence soup but won't have any particular message in mind.

Sure, maybe company icons and trash films will be mass-produced with AI. But until AI has a new technique in its "creative" process, it will not be able to make anything we consider masterpieces.
Depending on how "soul" is defined, it doesn't appear to be a requisite for anything.

I'm also convinced that if the Mona Lisa didn't already exist, and an AI produced it, it would by default not be considered a master piece on account of it being produced by an AI.

Muso

Explorer
In some ways, it already happened some years ago with the introduction of robotics in factories. So many workers replaced by robots for example in car factories. But they were low levels workers. Now AI is about to replace high level workers (creatives, white collars, etc) but I see something similar to what happened in the '80/'90s ready to happen.

Depending on how "soul" is defined, it doesn't appear to be a requisite for anything.

I'm also convinced that if the Mona Lisa didn't already exist, and an AI produced it, it would by default not be considered a master piece on account of it being produced by an AI.
This happened back in '22

High lights of the article:

Colorado’s 150-year-old state fair is held each summer in Pueblo, a town roughly 115 miles south of Denver. Per the Chieftain, the fair’s submission guidelines do not directly mention A.I.-generated art, but they define digital arts as “artistic practice that uses digital technology as part of the creative or presentation process.”

and

tellingly:

The competition’s two judges tell the Chieftain they were unaware that Allen had used A.I. to create his piece. But even if they had known, they still would’ve given him first place. They said they awarded the top prize based on the story Théâtre D’opéra Spatial tells, as well as the spirit it invokes.

Remove ads