• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Temple of Elemental Evil (IC)

Brachna

First Post
"Don't worry, Mulnock," Dryneth tells the gnome as he retrieves his arrows, "We'll investigate the moathouse soon enough. But first, we need to make sure we are refreshed and fully prepared for whatever may be awaiting us inside."

He looks around the confines of their temporary encampment, then proceeds to tie up the reluctant mule to a ruined slab of stone jutting from the wall of the ruined tower. "One good thing about that spider nesting in here, to my way of thinking - if the moathouse's inhabitants knew of its existence, I'd think it likely they didn't get along well with the thing. Thus, they're less likely to disturb its nest frivolously. Still, it would be prudent to keep a watch, though. We don't want to let our guard down completely."

To be thorough, Dryneth mutters a quick cantrip. At its conclusion, his eyes glow for just a moment. As if in a trance, he slowly sweeps his vision across the confines of the ruined tower, making sure to let his gaze fall across the ivory box the party has just earned.

[sblock=OOC]
Just to be thorough, Dryneth spends a use of his Arcane Attunement ability to cast Detect Magic (standing at the door, looking into the tower). I'd like to do a sweep of the room, being sure to include the treasure box we just found in the scan.
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC Voda Vosa]
How exactly does a spellthief work? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with them. Can I cast a spell at you and then you can "store" the spell energy for later, or do you only have a limited time to discharge the stolen spell? If you don't have a time limit to discharge the stolen spell, I could either cast True Strike or a (non damaging) 0 level spell at you if you'd like before we rest (so you'd have some spells for tomorrow).
[/sblock]

Bihlbo

Explorer
Upon being healed, Daonil looks a little surprised and says his thanks. His javelin he had thrown is bent up after ending on a stone wall, causing him a bit of frustration.

"Before we all get too comfortable, we should send out a couple of scouts while we still have some light. It'd be me, but I've never been good at using shadows."

[sblock=OOC]If mending will repair the javelin, Daonil will cast the spell. Also, on the off chance that the residents of the moathouse might recognize the sound, Daonil paid close attention to what the spider sounded like as the killing blow was dealt.[/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Brachna]There is nothing magical in the room aside from any items your party may already be carrying. Also, the spellthief can only hold stolen spells for a short period of time, up to 1 hour IIRC.[/sblock]
[sblock=Bihlbo]Javelins are not considered ammunition and therefore are not destroyed after being used, so its fine.[/sblock]

Your party rests the night in the moathouse tower, keeping close watch on the courtyard through the door as well as the approaching trail through the arrow slits. Although you are not molested in the tower, you do note the passage of several men into and out of the moathouse under dark of night. It is difficult to make out details in the night, but they are lightly armored and from their torchlight you can tell they are a rough bunch. They use the stairs in the courtyard as their means of entrance and egress.

Brachna

First Post
[sblock=OOC Blackrat & Airwalkrr]
This may depend heavily on when Airwalkrr rules that clerics get their spells back, but since we're resting anyway, I thought I'd ask. :) If Aredal gets his spells back after we get done resting, if I could get a Cure Minor Wounds or two from you before we go to sleep, I'd sure appreciate it.

After all was said and done in that fight, I ended up with 3 lethal and 3 nonlethal damage. The nonlethal and 1 point of the lethal will go away soon enough with rest, but the other two points will put me at 6/8HP. Not a big deal, but if Aredal's getting his spells back in the morning anyway, I thought it couldn't hurt to check. If he doesn't, then don't worry about it - Dryneth's still at 75% total, so I should be good! :)
[/sblock]

"It looks as though we've found our bandits," Dryneth whispers to his companions as they furtively spy on the comings and goings of the brigands. "It would seem that the folk of Hammslott has not led us astray - not yet anyway..." His suspicious nature cannot help but manifest as a nagging feeling in the back of his mind, and he strains his eyes in vain trying to make out features on the highwaymen.

At last, he nods with grim satisfaction once the activity in the moathouse has died down, knowing that, for good or for ill, his combat prowess will be tested come dawn. He then settles into a comfortable meditative posture, both to rest his weary frame and to prepare his mind for the stresses his arcane conjurations are sure to place upon it on the morn.

Redclaw

First Post
The dwarf sleeps through the night, oblivious to the movement outside the tower. In truth, that's probably a good thing for the party, as he likely would have charged the bandits rather than just watch them moving around.

He awakens refreshed and ready to do some more damage.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Vicroar wakes from his meditation early. He checks his equipment like he does every morning, then rises and walks to the "windows". "Do they only come outside at night? They are missing half of the glory of nature, what a sad life." Vicroar looks out carefully, trying to spot anyone or anything that might pose a hazard.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Before laying down for rest Aredal gives a prayer to the Sunlord and spends a few spells to heal the nicks Dryneth got from the frogs.

After resting for the night Aredal makes sure to wake before the sun rises over the horizon to greet it when it does. He spends a few moments in prayer, basking in the morninglight.

OOC: I'm changing my prepared spells this morning. I'll swap bless to Protection from Evil

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Clerics of Pelor receive their spells after morning prayers. However, I follow the core rules regarding most recent spells cast. Any spell slots used within 8 hours of preparing new spells are unavailable for the next day. Since your group has a bit of time left in the day, Aredal can deplete his spells prepared and still have his full slots the next day.

For the next scene, I am presuming you will enter the moathouse via the front doors. See post #205 for a description of the chamber. Note that while there is light coming into the moathouse through cracks in the ceiling, only those with low-light vision or darkvision can see well. Humans will suffer concealment penalties without some additional light source.

The audience chamber is just as deserted as it was yesterday. There are four directions for you to explore. To your left is a hallway that leads into the west wing of the house portion. To the side of that hallway is a stairway (13) descending down into darkness. There is another hallway to your right that leads to the south wing of the house. And on the northeast wall is a door leading to another chamber.

Along the east wall is a stairway (8) that leads upwards, but after a few steps, the risers are covered with dust, crushed stone, broken wood, and burned heaps of cloth. At the landing halfway up they are completely choked with rubble.

Attachments

• moathouse_ruins4.jpg
    moathouse_ruins4.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
The dwarf surveys the room with his darkvision. There be no point digging deeper if there be veins o' gold on the surface. I say we check the hallways afore we head down the stairs.

Remove ads