Alea Iacta Story Hour: A Mythic Rome Campaign (Baby Announcement: 8/17)

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Welcome Back!

Orichalcum said:
Although I tell him that this is clearly none of our business and we should just go back to sleep, Meloch insists on descending the shaft, and reluctantly, I scamper down after him.

And this is why I love the monkey! Again, kudos for creating the best sidekick on the story hours!

Fimmtiu

First Post
The use of the Calm Emotions spell as a tranquilizer for household use is great. I'll have to find a way to nick that.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 3: Perchance to Dream

Thanks for all the kind comments. Shast thinks, in response to Shawn:
Oooh, I could totally take that servile Euro, or blocky Scree! Just let me at them; my creative talents far outshine their lowly fighting abilities!"

Orichalcum thinks: Shast-a-Chu! And yes, the ideas I came up with when thinking about how a powerful sorceress with very little ethics raises a child...well, you'll see some of them in future updates.

All is finally quiet in the Villa Luculli, and the residents settle down to dream:

Meloch: You fall sound asleep, and dream:
You kneel before the entrance to a small stone building, one you have never seen before, and then slowly pace into the darkness inside, holding a torch. Inside, there are rows upon rows of stone and pottery urns, with painted scenes on them and inscriptions below them. You proceed to the left. Near the entrance you stop at one urn as the torchlight falls on the inscription: Cornelia Crispa, Devoted and Learned Daughter. She lived eighteen virtuous years. From the entrance of the tomb, you hear the voice of Cornelius Nepos, Cornelia’s Gaulish cousin, calling. “Come, slave. We have indulged you long enough.” You hurry outside, and Nepos is standing there with a black chain and thick iron slave collar. “Now that I am your master, pygmy, you’ll learn some discipline.” He moves forward with the collar as you wake up, shivering.

Wena: You fall sound asleep, and dream: You hear the sound of thundering hoofbeats, and see the Iceni war chariots whirling past you. A woman in one of the chariots reaches down and sweeps you into her chariot and arms without stopping; she is intricately tattooed, with long, braided red hair, and her eyes glow a rich brown. “Morwen, my child, I can give you only the protection that I am able. Remember that our enemy shares the same fears that you do. He wishes to bring those fears to all peoples everywhere, and take revenge for his own suffering on the entire world. Use your knowledge of our history and our ways against him. Do not fear to risk all, for this is the moment when truth must triumph.” You wake, feeling oddly calm and at peace with the world.

Marcus: You fall sound asleep, and dream: Your father is sitting in his small workroom in Alexandria. He looks tired, and much older than when you last saw him. Your sister, in torn and bloody robes, comes into the room.
“I’m sorry, father. Mother’s gone. There was nothing I could do.” she says quietly, weeping and coughing.
“I know. You worked yourself to the bone just trying to save your son Petros.”
“If only we had more help, and more money. If only my brother had stayed here rather than abandoning us...”
“It’s best he’s not here, child. If he was, he’d just die of the plague along with the rest of us.” Your father coughs painfully, and your sister holds out a wooden cup to catch the blood that comes up. “But I wish he had used his mind to help us and others live rather than merely to kill the barbarians.” His tone is regretful, and despairing. You wake up, trying to persuade yourself the dream was just the product of too much wine at dinner.

Heilyn: You fall sound asleep, and dream: You are riding proudly into Eburacum, your horse and armor covered with gold and decorations from the hand of the Emperor and seven other foreign kings. Your armor and weapons glisten in the sunlight, and two mules follow you, laden with golden aurei and gems. Yet Eburacum is not what is was. There is much evidence of recent burning, and the walls are missing in several places. The few people you see are dressed in rags, and they run from you or huddle by small fires in the cold. You quicken your horse’s pace and come to your old forge, where your mother lives. It is burnt, and the anvil is missing. Searching through the wreckage, you find one crippled former apprentice. “What happened?” you ask desperately. “Where is my mother?”
“The Ouenikones and the Picts swept south, intent on revenge, and the Romans were too few to stop them. The Druids came here first of all, saying that they would slay the smith who defied them and stole their eagle god. They bound your mother to a tree and cut her heart out of her body while she watched; she died cursing your name and that of the gods who were unable to protect us.”
You wake up, shivering, trying to persuade yourself the dream was just the product of too much wine at dinner.

Metellus: You dream of a mountain meadow, scattered with sheep. Meloch appears before you, grinning, dressed in a white loincloth, with a golden bow and arrow. “Young master, it is time for you to choose.”
“Choose what?” you ask in confusion.
“Who is the most beautiful, of course!” Meloch hands you a brightly shining golden apple, and gestures to a grove of trees nearby. Cornelia, Nepa, and Lupina Silvanilla walk out from the grove, each dressed in diaphanous gowns and glittering jewelry.
“Choose me,” the young Lupina Silvanilla speaks. “I am the niece of the Emperor, and I need someone to protect me.”
“Choose me,” Nepa says. “I am quiet and pious, and I am well versed in all the proper feminine skills.”
“Choose me, “ Cornelia says. “I will help you when you are afraid, and stand by your side bravely fighting and defending you.”
“CHOOSE!” Meloch bellows.
“Choose!” your father says, appearing suddenly.
“Choose!” Llyr, Marcus, and Heilyn say, gathering around you and prodding you with their spears.
The chorus grows deafening. “Choose, Metellus! Make a decision!”
You take a deep breath, and before you can say a word, you wake up as the dawn light hits your pillow.

Cornelia: You fall asleep finally, after your exciting night, and dream:
You wake up, and Meloch looks strangely at you. “Domina Cornelia, are you feeling all right?” You furrow your brow in puzzlement, before looking down at your hands. They are faintly green, and you can see small scales beginning to grow on them. You run, terrified, to your mother.
“Ah, yes,” she says in a dispassionate tone, “ this happened to my great-aunt Licinia. Well, with luck, you’ll eventually learn enough magic to be able to conceal it most of the time.”
“What do you mean, most of the time? And how bad will it get?”
“Well, Licinia spent most of her days in the sun curled up trying to get warm, and she said the tail was a nuisance, but don’t worry, she still kept her mind till the end.”
“What about the most of the time?”
“Well, dear, no illusion magic works very well when you’re asleep, now does it?”
You run, terrified, out into the courtyard, away from your apparently unmoved and uncomforting mother. In the atrium, Metellus sees you, swears by Hercules, and faints. Lucretius, running out to see the commotion, pulls his small silver owl out of his armor and gestures threateningly at you with it. “It’s a evil spirit!” he shouts, “We must drive it forth and kill it!” Marcus strolls out into the courtyard and looks directly at you. “I always told you all she was a witch and would come to a bad end. Now she’s an evil spirit, too.” He draws his sword, and your friends advance on you, determined looks on their faces.
You truly wake up, shivering, and stare frantically at your hands, desperately convincing yourself that there are no signs of scales on them.

Llyr: You fall soundly asleep, and dream:

You are in the midst of a raging battle, with strange creatures all about you. You spear a crocodile and then leap nimbly up to stab a Druid through the throat with your short sword. To your left, you see Heilyn, fighting a white-robed philosopher, and he shouts, “He has the Cap of Lugh, Llyr! Come around him from the back and we’ll surely get it! I need your help, now!” Ahead and to the right, you see Metellus, surrounded entirely by Druids and other warriors; he is fighting bravely, but is sorely wounded, and glances desperately towards you. You hear the voice of Talat in your head, whimpering, “Llyr, the bad men are here. They’re hurting me. Stop the bad men, Llyr.” You stop, frozen in your tracks, unsure which way to turn. As you stand there, uncertain for just a moment, you see Metellus fall, and the voice of Talat grows quiet in your head. You glance over to Heilyn, to see that the philosopher has vanished again. You wake up, sweating, glad that it is finally morning.

Lucretius: You fall soundly asleep, and dream:

You are in the midst of an enormous battle, with strange creatures all about you – flying hags throwing spells down on you in the air, Druids fighting with enormous shadowy wolves, and even crocodiles, attacking from the right. To your left, you see Cimbrus, surrounded by enemies, with only two Praetorians left around him, and those badly wounded. You start to urge Sapientia forward to assist the Emperor’s son, when you see Cornelia to your right, about to be swallowed whole by a crocodile. Both call out to you for help, and as you panic momentarily, unsure where to turn, you watch both die before your eyes. As Cornelia dies, her body turns into that of the little girl you chopped in half outside the Temple of the Vestals, and her eyes stare accusingly at you.
You wake up, shivering, trying to persuade yourself the dream was just the product of too much wine at dinner.

spyscribe

First Post
Orichalcum said:
Shast thinks, in response to Shawn: Oooh, I could totally take that servile Euro, or blocky Scree! Just let me at them; my creative talents far outshine their lowly fighting abilities!"

Hey Orichalcum! Love the story hour... um... Euro has something that he wanted me to convey for him.

Oh... that monkey thinks he's so big with his "opposable thumbs" and his "literacy." He ever comes around here, I'll servile him, you know?

Truth be told, I actually don't know. But if any familiar can turn something into a transitive verb with a vengeance, it would be him. Anyway... love the magical parenting skills, and looking forward to the next update. :)

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 3: Villa Crawl

"He ever comes around here, I'll servile him, you know?"

A response to young Euro: It is clearly a mark of the dreadful educational system in your world that you have so little concept of basic grammar, let alone sophisticated concepts like the later conjugations or the subjunctive. This seems like an excellent goal for your Mages' Academy - I can't tell you how many spells I've heard Meloch fumble because of an improperly placed pronoun! It is certainly an important factor to consider when making your final selection of Archmage.

But let me continue on with _my_ story. I fear that my more action-oriented readers have found the last few chapters, full of subtle character development, somewhat dull. Well, fear not - matters grow exciting and even tense from here on out.

After much discussion, the group decided to investigate the Villa Calpurnii before going to the Sibyl at Cumae, on the grounds that information buried in the ruins might influence or change the questions we planned to ask the Sibyl. So we set off for the buried city of Herculaneum, following the vague directions of Licinia Luculla. We relatively easily located an area where there had been recent digging, which featured a long diagonal tunnel which had been dug down into the mud. Several pairs of footprints led towards the tunnel; we could not find any leading out.

Llyr and Cornelia investigated the general area and found a small farm, about 200 feet away, with somewhat more horses than one would expect for a place of its size. Upon investigation and the judicious use of a Charm spell, the farmer readily admitted that he had been asked to stable some horses for a research expedition being led by Fufidius Priscus, the chief librarian of the Library of Trajan back in Roma. Llyr stabled Talat and the other horses at the back of the same farm, carefully leaving Talat untethered so that she could escape if necessary.

New conspiracy theories involving the stuffy, greedy librarian Fufidius were batted around as the group slowly crawled down the 3 feet wide steep diagonal mud tunnel. Wena's sentient crystal Samer (not the most exciting of companions, I've found, but at least I can rest assured that it doesn't want to eat me) led the way, with the rest of the group following in this order: Marcus, Metellus, Wena, Llyr, Cornelia, Meloch, me, Heilyn, Lucretius. Cato was left on the surface to keep watch, good riddance. Heilyn suggests transforming himself and forming a new tunnel, to escape detection, with the immortal line: "We'll be giant burrowing man-badgers!" This plan, however, is rejected.

After an unpleasant, filthy descent which left me longing for a bath for my golden fur, we finally emerged into the remnants of the actual building, where the roof, at least in most places, prevented the mud from raining down on us. We found ourselves in a long roofed courtyard, with the remains of what must have been a lovely marble swimming pool in the center, and statues of the Emperors down through Trajan lining the side. Proceeding onto the ground floor of the main building, we found ourselves in a large atrium with doorways to the left and right. Two large iron chests, whose locks had clearly been roughly broken, were placed on either side of the atrium. Upon opening them, we discovered the preserved huddled corpses of two people, probably slaves given their lack of jewelry or weapons and rough clothes. Wena was highly unnerved by the general psychic echoes of death and fear here.

Investigations through the left doorway proved to lead to a kitchen and servants' quarters, including a hearth and small figurines of the household gods, as well as a larger painted fresco of the god Vesuvius, at the bottom of which we found another corpse, arms reaching out to the gods. Heilyn became deeply disturbed here when he realized that these figurines had no spirits: even the gods were dead in this villa. He began muttering prayers under his breath.

We noticed footprints in the ash and mud, leading back and forth from each of the doorways, and then also down the flight of stairs on the left, but none returning from those stairs. Still, it was decided to check out the doorway on the right first, where Metellus and Marcus found the remains of a small Greek Library, almost entirely carbonized or destroyed in ash, and fairly obviously recently disturbed, with carbonized scrolls thrown to either side. Reluctantly, Metellus commands all those who are literate in Greek to spend some time searching here, and Lucretius manages to find a small scrap of possibly relevant papyrus, which reads: "“In the Shadow of the Shadow, Narcissus and his love are united at last.” No-one is quite sure what to make of this at this point, except that it has something to do with reflections.

Continuing down the staircase, the villa remains eerily quiet with the exception of a regular sound of dripping water and, somewhere below them, a strange squeaking noise. On the second cliffside terrace. the mud is knee-high on most of the group, waist-high on Meloch (I move to the top of his head, anxiously trying to keep myself clean), and still soft and fairly liquid.

Small worms and grubs flee from the torchlight as the party squelches through. We find ourselves in a main hallway, leading out to another courtyard, which has a tunnel in it. The tunnel is roughly hacked through the soft mud, and Marcus and Metellus decide to investigate first, before the rest of us follow. The first tunnel leads out about forty feet, and then angles diagonally left and right for another twenty feet. Marcus crawls ahead first, following a set of hand-and-footprints in front of him, which excite him because there are no foot prints coming back. Fortunately, however, he chooses to go slowly, and is thus able to stop himself right before reaching the end of the tunnel - at the cliffside itself, where he can see a long drop hundreds of feet down to the water, and what must once have been a spectacular view across the Bay of Naples. Marcus suddenly realizes why there are no prints coming back, and warns Metellus, before carefully retracing his steps and returning to the safety of the roofed hallway.

The party can hear the sound of squeaking more to the left, and the sound of dripping water to the right. After discussion, we proceed down the hallway to the end, where there are large marble doors, elegantly decorated, and fully closed. Llyr listens carefully and hears the noises of something large moving through water on the other side. We prepare for battle, the fighters drawing their weapons, Heilyn casting protective magics, and Meloch and Cornelia readying spells. Marcus is first by the door, and, sword in hand, quickly pulls it open. Beyond, those closest to the door can see the muddy remains of a once lovely marble-tiled private bath, now largely occupied by an enormous water snake, easily Marcus' chest in diameter.

Marcus: "Do we want to fight that?"

Metellus: "No."

Marcus: [slams door on snake] "OK. Let's go."

Sometimes, I think Meloch's companions might be picking up a little bit of common sense from me. Even if it did mean that we couldn't take a bath.

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Excellent update!

Having actually been to Herculaneum (and Ercolano, the city directly on top of Herculaneum), I welcomed your descriptions. I can't really tell you how creepy it is to walk down those streets, imagining everybody fleeing the pyroclastic flow as they ran for the sea shore.

The parts of the city you can get to are in this 100' deep pit. You walk down a huge ramp that circles the edge of the pit, and you can see where the old sea shore was--at one point, you're looking into the windows of the spa, which overlooked the sea, at a point that would have been about 50' in the air over the ocean.

And.... really loving the PCs when they do what we would -- "OK. Let's go."

Keep up the great work!

Orichalcum

First Post
Thanks...

People who have been to the site may recognize that the PCs are actually exploring the Villa dei Papyri, near Herculaneum, now open with prior reservations. All details for the first two terraces are architecturally correct; archaeologists haven't excavated below that, so who knows?

<grin> Actual history makes my life so much easier...

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 5: My So-Called Philosopher

Going back down the hallway, away from the gigantic snake, we stop to investigate a number of small side rooms along the back wall, which mostly seem to be bedrooms. They appear to have been quickly searched, but Llyr and Wena are certain they can do a better job. After Samur burrows into the mud, seeking anything interesting, the strange crystalline creature eventually locates a leather scroll case which had been carefully tied underneath the bottom cushions of one of the bedroom couches. After Wena clears the mud off of the case, she carefully opens it, pulling out a long scroll of parchment, and begins to read:

Annales of Calpurnia Pisa, 817 A.U.C.
PRIVATE & PERSONAL:
I will flog any slaves who dare to read this!

Nones of Quinctilis:
Pater says I should stop my lessons with Epicharmus. First, he said it wasn’t proper for a young woman to know so much philosophy. Then, he said Epicharmus was corrupting me, which he certainly isn’t; I don’t think Epicharmus even sleeps with slaves anymore – he’s too dedicated to living purely and in harmony with nature. But Pater says now that he was wrong to hire so many philosophers, that they aren’t to be trusted, that they make you think differently. He gave Mater and me these amber bracelets to wear, at the Floralia. He says that they’ll stop Epicharmus from influencing me, but I don’t see how, when he still lives here and talks to us at dinner and afterwards....

Kalends of July:
Pater has sent Epicharmus away, as well as all the other philosophers, turning them out of the house without even a guest-gift. He’s even threatening to start destroying the scrolls, but I think he’ll probably just sell some of them.

Kalends of August: Pater says I am not to go into the lower library anymore without telling him. He fears that the philosophers will bribe the slaves to sneak into the house and steal the valuable scrolls, so he has moved all the rarest ones to the Cave, and set up some sort of guards against the philosophers there, probably one of his favorite word or number games. He has started wearing his new amber necklace even to go to sleep, Mater says.
It is Mater’s birthday in a few days; I need to decide on a present for her. She says that she will ask her genius for another child. It would be nice to have a brother – less pressure to marry soon. I will turn fourteen in September, and Pater says that he should arrange my betrothal on my birthday. As long as it isn’t to one of the Vettii brothers, I think I can bear it; I know that they are ridiculously wealthy, but they are crude, and their father was a slave. I wish I could marry Epicharmus.

Ides of August: Epicharmus came by the house and tried to tell Mater and me that we should leave the house and go back to Roma, that there are dangerous portents in the sky and earth. Epicharmus knows much natural science, and I was worried, but Mater scorned the thought of returning to Roma in this heat. Then Pater arrived, and threw Epicharmus out of the house, warning him never to set foot here again.

Day After the Ides of Augustus: There is a strange smell of sulphur in the air, and there was a small earthquake today. The aqueduct is running low.

Two days after the Ides: The sky is dark, and there are fires coming from the mountain. Pater has summoned his yacht from Misenum, and we are to go down to the 4th terrace, by the beach, to wait for it.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 6: Riddles in the Dark

We follow the footprints back to the left side of the courtyard, where they lead a painted wall, with 9 doors, each of which, although muddy and a bit faded, appears to be real. Written in Greek on the wall, in an elaborate script, is the following statemtn:

"To come to dinner, gentle guest, beginning from honesty count back from the number of Hercules’ labors the number of the kings of Rome and then honor the gods of feasting by adding them to your total. The feast awaits you."

"What kind of maniac makes someone answer a riddle to get to dinner?" Llyr asks.

"This one, apparently. These Romans are crazy..." Heilyn answers, sighing.

Cornelia and Marcus, however, bend their minds immediately towards the riddle; Cornelia enjoyed playing these kinds of games with her father as a child, and for Marcus they were a part of his early philosophical training. They both know from their love of literature that Hercules had 13 labors, there were 7 gods of Roma, and 2 gods of feasting, Ceres and Bacchus. After some further consideration, they decide that "from honesty" means that they should count from the morally correct right side rather than the sinister left, and, with trepidation, send Llyr forward to press the seventh door from the right. The panel swings open, revealing a small passageway downstairs behind it, and we continue cautiously down, hearing the sounds of squeaking growing ever louder.

Along the staircase, Llyr and Wena detect tracks going down, about 5 people, with the one man wearing fine handmade sandals still present. An elaborate dining room with 3 couches and a large fresco of Hercules’ labors lies in the center below; the terrace is oddly deserted of mud, and fairly empty. A rock/mudslide at the edge shows what everything must have been oriented towards – the view over the sea, including the 3 outdoor couches.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 6: Rats. I hate Rats.

We cross the abandoned, eerily empty courtyard after Llyr checks to make sure that the rockslide is reasonably sturdy, and reach a large room at the other end of the courtyard, where the squeaking noise has been coming from. Opening the door, those of us, at least, who aren't soldiers are horrified to see hundreds of rats swarming across a number of large grain and wine amphorae. Thin, half-rotted wooden planks form bridges above the amphorae, presumably once used for easy storage, and there is another closed door at the end of the passageway. One set of muddy footprints in rough sandals leads up to that door and then disappears, the other footprints appear to lead back towards the left side.

Llyr, who has good balance, volunteers to try and make it across the planks without falling into the rats, and everyone else is very willing to let him try. He narrowly avoids disaster and makes it to the other room, pulling open the door very slightly. He immediately begins choking and coughing, and Cornelia remembers her ancestor's warning. She tries to suggest that it might be volcanic gas, and that she has a "spell" which will help her avoid it (Meloch looks at her quizzically) but Llyr declares that it won't be necessary, as he had inherited (stolen off the body of) Verix's pearl protecting him from poison. He takes a deep breath and runs inside the door.

Inside, he sees multiple chests, some rotted open from water leakage, full of golden _aurei_ and gems. Among the more interesting items, he finds (later identified):

Ruby necklace
Garnet earrings
Lapis lazuli matching set, big collar.
Silver bracelets.
A sword particularly useful against shapechangers
A sharp, Druidic magical scimitar.
Ring of Counterspells
Amulet of Health +2
Boots of the Winterlands
Chime of Opening – 4 charges.
Cloak of Arachnida
Pipes of Pain
Gloves of Swimming and Climbing
Stone of Alarm
Unguent of Timelessness used for preserving scrolls.

He comes back out to consult with the rest of the group after pocketing a couple of the necklaces for himself. After quick discussion, it is agreed that they have no time to get any of the items now, and hopefully they'll be able to return later.

On the left side of the courtyard, there is a large fresco of Orpheus descending to the underworld, which Llyr and Wena believe probably has a secret door located somewhere behind it. This makes some of us nervous.

Heilyn comments, "What's the worst that a picture of a passage to the underworld could represent?"
Marcus retorts, "It could actually be a passage to the underworld!"

Cornelia, meanwhile, is actually trying to figure out how to open the door, and relatively quickly comes upon the idea of asking Meloch to play his panpipes. When he does so, the side wall swings open, revealing a long, arched tunneled staircase leading down. It is ornamented with scenes of Hades - Tartarus, Minos the Judge, the Elysian Fields, and the more perceptive members of the group can see several pairs of footsteps proceeding downwards.

As they reach the bottom, they find themselves on a spiral staircase curving down to a large natural cavern open to the sea, with a small beach and a dock jutting out into the ocean. The cavern is almost dark, lit only by faint rays coming in from the outside and some phosphorescent fungus. They can dimly see a number of armed figures on the dock, and then, dimly, they hear the sound of oars in the water, and a sardonic, mocking voice that before has only appeared in their minds:

"I'm afraid you're a little late, my dear meddling friends. I've taken everything of true value in this place...and, for that matter, back in Roma. I _do_ hope you made your farewells properly to the Imperial family..."

Remove ads