• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alea Iacta Story Hour: A Mythic Rome Campaign (Baby Announcement: 8/17)

Arkhandus

First Post
The Muses, still with freedom found
Shall to thy happy coast repair
Blessed isle with matchless beauty crowned
And manly hearts to guard the fair.

The Word... Elizabeth? As in Queen Elizabeth? My guess from the phrases to do with ruling, beauty crowned and guarded by manly hearts.....hrm. IIRC, if my history isn't too rusty (it is), Queen Elizabeth was a powerful queen and Britain ruled the seas in her time.... *shrug*

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 13: Exegesis and Excitement

On the litter ride back from the Sibyl, Cornelia makes notes on the various prophecies and texts that she's heard and shares her analysis with Meloch and I:

On "What is the true name of the BCP?"

I think we have a very good idea of what this one means. The only people
who know BCP's true name are his parents, and the only one besides them
who knows is Lugh. (Side note: does 'twain' mean only one parent and Lugh,
and the other parent died before BCP could be named? Or that one parent
came up with it, and so the only two who _heard_ the name were Lugh and
the other parent? Or does Lugh not count for these purposes?)

Therefore, there are two ways for us to find the name: to go into the
Underworld to ask BCP's parent(s), or to get the Vestals (the sisters whom
we saved) to ask Lugh, because the Vestals can talk to the gods in times
of crisis. I think we're all in agreement that we'd rather go talk to the
Vestals than go into the Underworld. Much more fun :)

There's still the issue of how we identify BCP so that Lugh will know who
we're talking about, because the only name we know is his Roman one. On
the other hand, BCP is the one who currently holds the Cap of Lugh, so
maybe Lugh can sense him through the Cap, and thereby identify him.

On the question about Cimbrus:
This gives us the answer that we wanted: Hadriana's couriers are right,
and BCP is somehow deceiving Cimbrus into thinking that the war is going
badly.

However, it also raises a few more questions. How is BCP doing it? Is he
also deceiving the Emperor? (I'm inclined to think no, because the Sibyl
says that BCP's chains are wrapped around the eyes of the _son_, not the
father and son.)

On "What did the first and eighth decree?":

Cornelia digs far back into her childhood lessons and remembers an ancient story about Roma's true name, the name that, if ever spoken aloud by an official in the Forum, might cause the very city to fall. Looking at the prophecy, she realizes what that name must be: AMOR, or Love, for the mother of Roma's founder, Venus, goddess of love and beauty, and also Roma spelled backwards.

"The name of the city is Roma - to honor Romulus' ancestor Venus (ie the
goddess of love, Amor). What was his dream?

He who brought the gates=Augustus. By speaking the word, he established
the Pax Romana.

All will shift, like an image in a pool <-->in the shadow of the shadow,
Narcissus and his love are reunited. By messing around in the Shadow
Realm, BCP is trying to affect reality.

Romulus spoke as a brother; Augustus spoke as a father. How should we
speak? As children, maybe, to preserve the vision that Augustus as father
built?"

The founder's reflection=Remus. Rome is in danger of becoming Rema. At first, this name seems meaningless to Cornelia or Metellus. But then she ponders it a little more, remembering some studies of ancient Latin and Etruscan she pursued in her attempt to learn more about her heritage.

"Rema...Rema doesn't mean anything. But Amer...amer means," Cornelia gasps out loud with the realization, "Amer means Bitterness. Metellus! Everyone! This is very, very bad. I think that Scaevola wants to change the True Name of Roma from Love to Bitterness."

Everyone agrees that this is most definitely not a good thing. Further analysis and earlier knowledge suggests that the BCP is also somehow manipulating the Place of Shadows as well as being interested in the Place of Forms.

We return to Licinia's villa, fend off inquisitive glances from her, and collapse after a long, intense day. The next morning, a few hours after dawn, a rider comes galloping up the narrow cliffside trail, his horse's flanks sweating and he himself, a Praetorian by dress, clearly on the last edges of exhaustion. "I bear a sealed message for the lady Cornelia Crispa!" he announces. Licinia attempts to intercept the message but Metellus bypasses her and gives it to Cornelia. She reads it, pales, and draws the rest of us, notably excluding her mother and the steward Ogulnius, out to the edge of the cliff.

"It's from Hadriana. At least, I presume - it's unsigned except with an H. She says - 'My husband disappeared within our very home, two nights ago. I have announced that he is sick and at our country place. Return to the city immediately.'"

We all consider what this means - that the Caesar, the Emperor's regent and the most legitimate ruler of the Empire within several thousand miles, has apparently gone missing, on the very night we saw and identified Scaevola as the Black Chain Philosopher. Metellus straightens himself, clenches his jaw, and snaps, "Llyr! Get the ship ready. Now."

While we quickly gather our goods, and our new treasure, which Licinia identified for us while we were at the Sibyl's in return for the lapis jewelry, Cornelia goes to quickly apologize to her mother for the abrupt departure.

"What's going on, dear? Who was the messenger from?" Licinia asks, fairly reasonably.

"I can't really talk about it, Mother. But you should be fine if you stay here," Cornelia answers nervously.

"Oh, darling, I'm your mother. " Licinia delicately casts Suggestion. "You can tell me.. Trust me."

"Well, " Cornelia answers, a little surprised at her sudden faith in her mom, "Cimbrus Caesar has disappeared from the Imperial Palace itself! For the last two days! And we've been summoned by Hadriana to try and figure out what's going on and rescue him."

"Right," Licinia answers matter-of-factly, apparently unfazed. "Protect yourself. Or at least get yourself knocked up, so we have a next generation in our family. Go get yourself ready...I have to summon my banker to handle my investments in the currency market."

[OOG: Ladybird asks: "Was getting knocked up in the Suggestion?" No, in fact.]

Last edited:

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta VIII: Under Mud, Over Sea Chp. 14: A Three-Day Tour...

As they get on the ship, Marcus, Cornelia, Heilyn, and Meloch briefly discuss the Thoth text and its relationship to Cimbrus' disappearance and the prophecies.

On the Place of Forms, looking mostly at the Thoth text, Cornelia muses:
"We will see the absolute truth of ourselves, and the absolute truth of each other - the best and worst qualities in each of us. This is probably going to be very very scary, and cause big crises of confidence. Poor Metellus...

We will see the beginning of Rome. Which beginning, though? When Romulus ruled, or when Augustus did? Either way, I think we should head for the Hut of Romulus once we get there. Although it's not clear from the account whether space works the same way inside the
Gates - we might be right near the Hut of Romulus once we get inside, if we're entering the Gates from near the Imperial Palace...

And we should be warned not to speak idly either. Be careful of true names, be careful what you wish, etc. The appearance of the jackal-headed spirit might also mean that we'll get a divine guide once we're inside, which would be cool.

"The jackal spirit spoke directly into my mind, saying that he did so so as not to change the world. "Before Osiris was a God, he came here, with his consort Isis, and they spoke the word of Life, thinking of the fertility of the land and of its people. And he sacrificed himself for that Word, and went to rule over the Dead.

OK. This is how the Word-speaking works. It might mean that once you speak a Word, you die. Or, it could mean that once you speak a Word, you take that word's essence out of yourself - for Osiris it was Life; for us it will be Love (or, technically, Amor). But then
what about Romulus and Augustus? They didn't die, and they didn't lose all love (Or did they? Ooo. Augustus spoke the word as a father, and he didn't have any surviving children. Hmmm.) They did, however, become divine...so maybe dying means that you become
divine, because Osiris also became divine after speaking his Word?

Also, telepathy is safe. Wena, please stock up on Mindlinks?

You need to be a god to know how to speak a True Word. If you have divine ancestry, though, you can learn - Karmouthis was descended from Pharaohs, and was therefore of divine ancestry. We have people (well, beings) with us who are descended from gods: we'll find Cimbrus when we go through the Gates, and we have Talat, who admittedly can't talk very well. (A tangent follows about the horrors of having the world redefined as "Apple.")
Rufus might be in there too, if our theory is right that he's the 'one sprung from the divine who is the source of power' from the Prophecy.

Marcus notes, after considering her theories, that:

"I think it's worth noting that it is phrased as "they spoke the word of Life." It's not just that Osiris speaks it and dies: Isis appears to speak it and live. Also, Osiris is described as "sacrificing himself for that word"- it's not clear that that's the same action. It may be: Step 1: Osiris and Isis speak word, causing powerful effects. Step 2: Osiris
sacrifices himself for the word, making it stronger and going to rule over the dead.

Are any of us possibly descended from gods? Metellus, Cornelia, and Llyr leap to mind as possibilities. We should check whether Metellus or Cornelia are descended from any of the apotheosized emperors. (Marcus takes apotheosized emperors completely seriously as Gods.) Also, if either of them are descended from the ancient royal family of Rome, that
would get them Venus and Mars. Any other major divine bloodlines in Roman families?

Is the royal family of the Brigantes descended from a god? If so, Llyr would be of divine blood.

I don't think there's any reason to believe I have any divine ancestry; middle-class Greek ancestry isn't likely to lead back to any of the old semi-divine heroes, and while it's vaguely possible that there's some minor Egyptian ancestry, no reason to expect Pharaonic descent."

Meanwhile, Llyr and Heilyn and Lucretius discuss Licinia Luculla's comments about the Pisan treasure hoard and attempt to divide it up:

Two-bladed silver-engraved +1/+1 Spanish sword - Heilyn, on careful study, thinks that it is enchanted as well against some specific foe...

Licinia Luculla looks at this and concentrates, burning some
sweet-smelling herbs around it and waving her fingers in precise patterns.
"Ah, she says finally, "This is very old, probably an ancestral trophy
from Caesar's wars in Gaul. It's a sword made to kill Druids, especially
when they have changed into their accursed animal forms. It will do extra
damage (2d6) to any person or creature who shapechanges, and if you strike
such a one with this weapon when they are in an animal form, they must
focus or return to their true form (DC 15 Will Save.)"
Heilyn now realizes the source of his vague uneasiness about this weapon -
he's fairly sure it would do quite nasty things to him personally, if
wielded against him.

+3 steel German scimitar, with an oak handle - between all of you, you think that the magics on it are somehow associated with forests.

"Another relic of the wars, this time from Germany. This scimitar draws on the powers of the spirits of the northern woods when it is in a forest of oaks or spruce - in such a case, it allows the wielder to cut through one enemy to the next with a deadly stroke. (Cleave +1d6 extra damage). It is consecrated to Dagda.

Orichalcum ring:
"Ah...I have one of these myself. You, my child, can cast a spell into this
ring, and if anyone then casts that same spell on you, it will be
countered. I believe that it might also work for mental powers, although I
know little about philosophy.

Golden elephant disk on a chain - +2 Con bonus

Big wolf fur boots - faint abjuration and transformation magic.
"I suspect these may have been taken as spoils from the same German
chieftain who owned the scimitar. They allow you to travel quickly across
that unpleasant northern snow or ice, and keep your feet warm in winter.

Hollow silver tube and stick - seems to be a musical instrument - has 4
indentations on the side, and marks of what look like several faded ones. Moderate transmutation.
"The indentations indicate the number of uses remaining, 4 in this case.
While I am no musician, I believe this instrument can be used to open
closed places, even magically locked doors. I will be aware, of course, if
you use it in my house while I am gone, daughter."

Dark grey Egyptian cotton cloak, embroidered with black silk in a complex
Egyptian pattern, faint conjuration and transmutation.
"Ah, a Cloak of Arachne - I wonder what Greek witch he bought this from,
or whom he killed. It lets one climb like a giant spider and renders one
somewhat immune to a spider's tricks and venom."

Greek reed pipes, faint enchantment and evocation.

"Well, these would certainly be one way to end some of the endless
poetry recitations back in Roma. If you are skilled at playing these, they
have a chance to fascinate the listeners, but they also render the ears of
listeners temporarily acutely sensitive to all noise, causing damage for
quite some time. I wouldn't play it unless you've rendered yourselve deaf
first..."

Thick leather gloves, faint transmutation
"These gloves grip onto surfaces, giving you a +5 bonus when swimming or
climbing walls. "

Tiny marble pyramid, faintly sticky on one side, faint abjuration
"Ah, I have several of these. You can attach them to, say, a chest with a
command word - this one's command word is "Imhotep" and it will make a
prolonged, loud noise if the object is touched thereafter without uttering
the command word. Be careful - the slaves have had many nights' sleep
disrupted by these."

A small pot of ointment that seems to be largely wax, faint transmutation.
You found traces of the ointment on some of the books downstairs.
"This is used to preserve scrolls and other documents."

Meanwhile, as the two and a half-day ship journey progresses, several of the passengers begin to notice some slightly odd behaviors in their comrades and themselves.

Cornelia and Meloch are standing at the prow of Metellus's ship as it sails at
full speed up the Italian coast back to Roma, thinking about all their adventures and worrying about what will come next. They suddenly realize that they can't remember at all what the name was of that deserter they met north of the Wall. The train of thought leads Cornelia to thinking about her family's tradition of loyal military service. Oddly, she knows that
your cousin in Massilia had some sort of military service, but you realize that you have no idea what it was.

Metellus, doing military exercises on the deck, realizes that he's forgotten some of the details of the trial he helped oversee, in particular, the name of that annoying female neighbor of Salonianus the wine merchant. Probably unimportant, though, he decides.

Wena, meanwhile, spends her time doing Object Reading of the various scrolls, and does discover the interesting detail that on one of the scrolls from the boat, the owner before Heilyn and Metellus was a Chaotic Evil middle-aged Brigantian man, a description that is precisely similar to that of one of the owners of Hadriana's anti-conception ruby.

Cornelia, meanwhile, upset by her lack of memory, has been trying to focus on the name of the deserter and remember it. Sadly, thinking about it seems to make concentrating even harder. She decides to go and ask the Centurion, who she knows has a very good memory, about it...but embarassingly realizes that she can't remember his name either, even though she's pretty sure they've been traveling together for months. Maybe it's sunstroke. She asks Meloch, who's having similar trouble, and stares at the armored Centurion, hoping something will jog her memory or someone else will call out his name.

Marcus, a fairly perceptive man, notices fairly quickly that Cornelia is staring at him really, really intently, and then blushing embarassedly and looking away when he looks back at her. She has a slightly confused look on her face. He draws his own conclusions and goes grimly to speak quietly to Metellus.

"May I have a word with you, Tribune? It would be best if this conversation were private."

After they move away from the crew and their companions, Marcus proceeds.
"There are two matters that I feel I need to bring to your attention. The
first suggests that our enemy has taken another offensive through his
perversions of philosophy. I appear to have lost some of my memories
connected to the Ninth. In particular, I cannot recall the name of the
deserter we met north of the Wall when we retrieved the Eagle. I can
still picture his face, but I cannot recall his name, nor his exact rank
or cohort. I have thought more carefully about the rest of my legion, and
I can remember most of the centurions, but not the primus pillus's name,
nor that of the chief legate. I also cannot remember our commander's
name, but that is explained by damnatio memoriae. It took some effort,
but I was able to remember that the traitor's name was Titus Minucius.

"This could be explained by the fading memory of age, but I do not think
so, Tribune. I still remember almost all of the men of the Sixth,
although a few legates are hard to remember. I can also remember all of
my classmates from when I was a boy studying philosophy back in
Alexandria. I think it most likely that Scaevola has tampered with my
memories. I have taken the precaution of beginning to record on tablets
and shards as much about the conspiracy against the Ninth as I can
remember."

Marcus pauses after finishing that speech.

"The second matter is more awkward, Tribune. I hope you will pardon my
temerity. The matter concerns Domina Cornelia. As you well know, young
women have difficulty controlling themselves. By Domina Cornelia's age, a
woman needs a husband to guide her and to prevent her ... drives ... from
leading her into scandalous behavior. It is only to be expected that,
even with such an honorable father as the Legate, these drives would be
particularly severe with a mother who practices witchcraft and is known
for her own uncontrollable desires.

"It has been too long since Domina Cornelia was outside of her father's
supervision, and she is showing the signs of her desires. I am confident
that your own presence held her interest for quite some time, sir, but in
the face of your continued honorable conduct towards her, she has begun to
seek out others who might not behave as honorably.

"Tribune, Domina Cornelia has begun to look at me in an unmistakable way.
While I have too much respect for her late father the Legate to allow even
the appearance of impropriety, I worry that her desires will lead her to
seek out someone less restrained. It is not my place, of course, to make
suggestions as to what should be done. But I thought that you would want
to know, because her father's spirit should be spared the pain of having
his only child bring scandal on her family. And scandal can only be
avoided by her marrying promptly. Without wishing to presume, Tribune, I
hope that you might assist her in finding an honorable match."

After his speech, Marcus's expression shows that he feels even more
awkward than before he began speaking. He stands rigidly at attention,
waiting to hear if Metellus has any response other than to dismiss him.

Metellus blushes, fiercely, and then says, "Well, the memory issues do seem quite alarming. It's probably related to the Ninth and somehow to Scaevola's foul plans, although I'm not quite sure in what way. As for Domina Cornelia, rest assured, I have every intention of protecting her and making sure she finds a good and suitable match, although I'd be a little surprised if she had serious intentions towards you, Centurion."

He nods in abrupt, embarassed dismissal to Marcus, who strides away. Some hours later, Wena beckons the Centurion and Cornelia over to one side of the ship to discuss the results of her Object Reading. Initially nervous, but reassured by the chaperone-presence of Wena, Marcus joins the two women, carefully and nervously positioning Wena in between himself and Cornelia.

It becomes clear that only half of Cornelia's mind is on what Wena is saying. She keeps darting confused, curious glances over at Marcus, brow furrowing as if she is trying to remember something.

Her expression grows more and more worried as the moments pass, until finally, she sighs, shakes her head, and says to the centurion, "I'm sorry...what's your name again? I'm sorry - I know I should know....but I don't. I just can't remember _anything_ today..."

When Cornelia asks Marcus's name, the centurion, already fairly close to attention, stiffens up even further. "Domina Cornelia... I am Marcus Catellus Alexandros, centurion of the Ninth Legion, retired from the Sixth. But, Domina, you know that..." Marcus looks at her confusedly. After a few seconds, he laughs, cutting the laugh off as quickly as he
can. He forces his face back into a more neutral attitude. "Domina, I fear that our adversary has tampered with your memory. I have lost my memories of some of my comrades in the Ninth." He pauses. "I sincerely apologize for laughing, Domina. I had misinterpreted some things." Marcus does not clarify further.

Last edited:

Fimmtiu

First Post
Yay! Two updates at once! The campaign-specific flavour to the magical items is a lovely touch, although it's kind of frightening to imagine what they'll do with those pipes once back in Rome...

It's worth noting that most of the previous two updates are verbatim from the e-mails that we exchanged between sessions, which explains the differences in tone and diction, especially in the analysis of how word-speaking works.

I had tremendous fun with Marcus's misunderstanding of what was going on with Cornelia. One of the things I enjoy about Marcus is his alien mindset-- he thinks like a Roman, which is very different from how either I or most of my other characters think. So whenever his thoughts on a subject aren't well-defined by his particular character traits, I try to get as close as possible to Roman conventional wisdom (which I consult with Orichalcum, mostly outside games, to get-- 95% of what I know about Rome I learned from Orichalcum.) Because Roman texts on gender relations and physiology assume that young women are uncontrollably (and dangerously) sexual, Marcus assumes the same.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 1

Lucretius, while on the ship, decides to make a sacrifice to Minerva to try and gain more understanding into his future path. The Tribune buys Kaspar the XI, Meloch's war goat, and slaughters him right there in front of us all. I think it's absolutely shameful how greedily hungry Cato the owl looks. Kaspar was our traveling companion for months! Not the brightest of goats, or even of the Kaspars, true, but still - these Romans and their gods. I resolve not to do anything to anger Lucretius. Still, the Tribune seems comforted after the sacrifice, having achieved some peace of mind and the resolution that it may be possible to both save Roma and Cornelia.

As we journey back to Roma, all of us have occasional trouble remembering Marcus' name and deeds, although it is worst for Cornelia. I and the other writers spend much of the voyage making frantic copies of materials. Soon, we arrive back at the port of Ostia and travel directly by fast chariot to the Imperial Palace. We are let in through a back door and brought to a carefully secured inner room in the Empress Hadriana's private quarters - clearly, she is ignoring the rumors of a relationship between her and Metellus at this point due to the need to deal with the immediate crisis.

Face pale, looking all of her twenty-eight years for the first time, Hadriana speaks quickly and softly, but commandingly. "It was five days ago now. Cimbrus had been acting increasingly distressed and moody, spending long hours communing with...communicating with his father through means reserved to the Imperial family."

Wena interrupts here, "Through the philosophical crystal orbs?"

Hadriana looks startled for a moment. "Yes - how did you know? In any case, I was deeply worried about him, and he was starting to pace up and down throughout the palace and mutter to himself. Late that night, he came out of the room where the crystal orb is kept - the guards on duty said there were marks of tears on his face. He didn't look at them or talk to them, but hurried quickly down to the lower levels of the Palace, an intent look on his face. Within the Palace itself, the Caesar and his family are not constantly escorted, for privacy reasons; rather, we have pairs of guards stationed every hundred feet and at every intersection. Cimbrus passed a pair of guards at the beginning of one corridor, ignoring them, and then...never appeared at the end of the hallway, where the next guards were stationed. The Praetorians whom I trust most have examined every inch of the corridor, but there appear to be no secret doors or other exits from the passage.

Only the Chamberlain, the Praetorian Prefect, and my personal chief maid have been informed; the Senate and the rest of the populace believes that Cimbrus has fallen ill and returned to Tivoli. But there is a limit to how long I can persist in this deception. You must find him - alive - as soon as possible."

Metellus asks sharply, "Do you know where the Emperor's sister, Mamerca, and her son Rufus are?"

Hadriana answers calmly, as if she had thought of this as a possibility already. "According to my agents, they are still in their villa on the Bay of Neapolis, at least as of a few days ago. I would have known if they had traveled back to Roma."

Heilyn speaks up, "Would it be possible for us to examine this passageway? The spirits may tell us of something that the Praetorians were unable ta find, no offense ta them bein' intended."

"Certainly - Lucretius, I suggest you lead them down there by the back route, to avoid suspicion. It is in the old central wing of the palace, on the top of the Palatine Hill. Go now -time may be of the essence - but report to me before you do anything drastic," Hadriana instructs them.

We travel down to the beginning of the corridor described by Hadriana, and Lucretius nods to the pair of guards and instructs them to remain there. As we walk past them, Meloch is suddenly stopped in his tracks, yelping in sharp pain and pressing across some sort of invisible barrier. Everyone draws their weapons and spins, searching for an invisible enemy. One of the guards, however, calls out, "I'm terribly sorry, Decurion. Is that pygmy a slave?"

Lucretius, remembering his early training about guard duty, exclaims in realization. "Yes, he is! I'm so sorry, Meloch! This must be one of the areas of the Palace with divine wards against slaves passing through, for fear of theft or revolt."

I, never having been a formal slave, gleefully prance through the corridor, while Meloch glares at me. In my head, he admonishes me, "I'll stay here for now, and watch over Hadriana and baby Cimbra. But let me know if any danger comes to Cornelia - maybe I can cast a spell through you. And be careful!" Meloch embraces Cornelia's legs, nods to the rest of us, and trods back up the stairs to the Imperial Nursery.

We continue on down, until Heilyn draws in a deep breath of shock, followed shortly by Llyr and Wena.

Llyr whispers, "Through my Lugh-blessed eye, I can see that part of the wall glowing faintly, but it's too bright to focus on."

Wena agrees, "I can see the same."

Heilyn turns to them quizzically. "You don't see the doors?"

"What doors?" the rest of us all chorus, a bit confused as to why such a fuss is being made over a perfectly ordinary grey stone wall, exactly like the rest of the corridor.

"The two enormous ornamental doors in the wall over there! The one on the left is outlined in curved rhinoceros tusks and antelope horns, I think, based on Meloch's description of those animals, and it's glowing with complex runes. The one on the right is made out of elephant tusks, outlined in silver and gems - it's beautiful - and also covered with spirit symbols I've never heard of or seen!" Heilyn describes.

"Ah, the Gates of Horn and Ivory!" Marcus announces, as we all realize the truth.

"But which of them did Cimbrus go through? And which one is Scaevola hiding in?" Cornelia asks.

"And why can Heilyn see them?" points out Metellus, a little aggravated.

Heilyn quickly, stumbling a little, responds, "It must be all my training of working with the spirits! Or seeing Lugh so clearly! Or being a craftsman..."

"Well," Metellus finally answers practically, "We can't just leap through one. We need to prepare. And before that, we need to go and talk to the Vestals and try and find out Scaevola's true name."

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 2: Bargaining with a God

Hey folks, sorry about the recent hiatus, but I've been flying around the country interviewing for a real job in the last few weeks. The good news is that it looks like Cerebral Paladin and I will be winding up in the Chicago area come August or so! But meanwhile, life is getting close to normal again here in NYC.

Back to Shast's tale:

After briefing Hadriana and Meloch, we go down to the Forum and the Temple of the Vestals, and Cornelia goes in to the Temple to request aid of the Chief Vestal. The Vestal is highly grateful to all of us, as well as worried about the fate and safety of the Empire, which, after all, she is sworn to protect. She tells Cornelia, however, that she cannot herself speak to any gods besides Vesta, who is unlikely to be helpful in this case, and certainly not to the Celtic Lugh. However, she can arrange for all of us to spend the night in the house of the Rex Sacrorum, dedicated to Mars, and the Vestals will entreat the gods to give us a true vision of them to aid us in our quest.

Cornelia agrees on our behalf, and, come nightfall, we are all arranged on rough mats in the ancient temple of Mars, former home of the Kings of Rome, surrounded by the 12 sacred shields, one of which is actually Mars's, while the others are merely decoys. Heilyn and Llyr spend a few curious moments trying to determine the authentic shield, but realize quickly that the deception is far beyond their powers of magical or natural investigation.

We fall asleep to the sounds of the chanting and light drumming of five Vestals, and awake, or so it seems, to find us all standing together at the bottom of a long, marble staircase. Uncertain what else to do, we begin climbing; there seems somehow little reason for talk.
After a long time, the staircase emerges into a cave mouth by a grassy meadow, full of flowers and trickling springs and a small, burning fire. Standing by the fire is a breathtakingly handsome young man in a short white tunic, carrying a snake-entwined staff, a small red leather cap, and sandals with small golden wings attached.

He glances at us in mild puzzlement. "You are most definitely not Vestal Virgins - at least not most of you - and I don't think you really want to stay a Virgin, do you, lovely lady?" he smiles enticingly at Cornelia, who blushes brightly.

Metellus, concentrating strongly on his responsibilities and the innappropriateness of any attraction to a male god, speaks, "Hail, Mercury, God of Trade. Ah...we weren't expecting you here - we presumed it would be Vesta, or Lugh."

Mercury, eyes still largely on Cornelia, raises an eyebrow. "I am also the God of Travelers, and thus I meet all who are sent to the divine realm by unorthodox ways, and guide them to their appropriate destination. Why do you wish to see Lugh? I can perform - given sufficient incentive - any miracles that he can, after all."

The Celts bristle at this, but Cornelia says placatingly, "Lugh, we think, is the only one who knows the true name of a Brigantian man, born several decades ago, who now is plotting to overthrow the entire Empire and cause great devastation -which, after all, would be very bad for trade, and travellling, and, um, magic, and money, and..."

Mercury ponders her answer for a moment, and responds, "Well, it certainly sounds like a generally worthwhile cause, although I don't see what's in it for me. Hmm...wait..." he examines each of us, especially Lucretius and Marcus, very carefully. "I have a thought. I will give you guides who may take you to Lugh's part of the divine realm, where you can speak with him directly. But you must swear to protect them until they reach their destination there, for they are weak, and helpless. "

Marcus speaks up, "Ah, what sort of guides are these, exactly?"

Mercury answers, with mild annoyance. "Some lost souls, who died here and came into my part of the realm, but who don't belong here, but over in the Celtic underworld. I have not had the time to spare to escort them safely, and they are too confused to travel safely on their own. They know where to go; you must merely follow them until they reach their destination. Will you swear?"

With some little trepidation, we all swear, aware that making an oath to a god is not to be taken lightly. As we finish, Mercury fixes his piercing blue eyes on Heilyn, and speaks again. "There is, of course, another matter to be dealt with. You, young spirit-speaker, stole something from me. I don't take well to people stealing from the God of Thieves."

Heilyn, who has been half expecting this, uses all his native gift o' the gab in a desperate attempt to stay alive. "If it please you, divine lord, Mercury, I didna think of it as stealing, but rather as returning to the rightful owner, that is to say Lugh. After all, you are so great and powerful that you do not really need such an item, whereas the lack of it is keeping Lugh imprisoned and powerless in the mortal world, a fate I'm sure you would not wish on Him."

"Nonetheless, you took property that had been acquired by my agents and given to Me. Why, precisely, should I not steal your very soul here while we speak?" Mercury casually inquires.

"Perhaps," Heilyn improvises, "I could give you something of equal value in return for the cap."

"What do you have that would be of equal value to a divine artifact?"
Mercury asks, contemptuous but a bit intrigued.

"How about a lightning bolt?" Heilyn prooffers.

"Hmm...that would certainly annoy my father - and that proud Minerva, for that matter. And just think of the havoc I could wreak by using it appropriately... Do you have one now?"

"No, but if you give me enough time, I'll make one for you. But I have to stay alive. I'm working with a smith who's developing one, and I promise I'll give you the first one I make."

"Very well. Swear on your soul...and on the spirits of your ancestors, and by the light of Lugh."

Heilyn solemnly swears, desperately hoping that the Master of Naxos' crazy theories will indeed enable him to actually make a lightning bolt someday. Mercury, meanwhile, raises a set of panpipes to his lips and blows softly. In a few minutes, as far we can measure time in this strange realm, a number of shadowy figures come floating towards us. As they reach us, we can see that they are nine small children, all girls, covered with hideous sword wounds. Some of them turn and shy away from us, especially from Lucretius and Marcus. Looking at them more closely, the faces seem familiar, and the blue Iceni-esque tattoos shine on their translucent faces and arms.

Mercury fades from sight, laughing mockingly at us. "It seemed only right that you should guard and return these children to the proper realm of the dead. After all, you did kill them."

Last edited:

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: A Comic Interlude - Quotes

Ladybird and Cerebral Paladin have reminded me that there are some absolutely wonderful OOG quotes from this part of the session, that I should really share with all of you. So here they are - again, these are very much not in character:

Llyr: Aren't curse tablets illegal?
Heilyn: Yes, that's why I thought Cornelia would have the materials to make them.

Mercury: What are you going to give me in exchange for my wisdom?
Llyr (pointing to Cornelia): Her!

Cornelia (commenting on the music from P.o.t.Caribbean): And now the pirates show up!
Wena: They're going to be Platonic pirates.
Marcus: What - they show up pre-hanged?
Metellus: No, they all look like Johnny Depp.
Cornelia: Awwwww yeah.
Metellus: No, that wouldn't be very platonic after all.

Hadriana: I would remind you of the old Spartan words.
Llyr: Come back with your emperor, or on him!

Orichalcum: You were traveling through the woods when you were in the bathroom.

Remove ads