• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alea Iacta Story Hour: A Mythic Rome Campaign (Baby Announcement: 8/17)

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta X: A Civil Campaign Chp. 4: The Lawyer

As Thrax leaves the rostra, the second candidate steps up. Metellus and Marcus recognize him, to their startlement, as Gnaeus Tertius Publicola, the young prosecutor in the soothsaying case. He is a handsome if slight young man, wearing an immaculate, blindingly white toga. The other members of our group, scattered throughout the crowd, focus on their barrage of detection spells. Lucretius can tell that Publicola is not particularly devout, but is a follower of the Olympians, especially Jupiter, the imperial cult, especially Augustus, and his own household gods. Cornelia and Meloch, meanwhile, are immediately struck by the high level of enchantment magic on Publicola's toga.

Publicola strikes a dramatic pose and begins a gripping, eloquent oration, causing even casual passersby to stop in their stroll and turn to focus all their attention on him.

"Citizens of Roma, the most important qualification to be a good and wise judge is not military glory, but knowledge of the law. As an advocate for the past two years, I have defended your interests at every turn, seeking to uphold the rights of every Roman citizen, not just those with a lofty name or large amounts of wealth. Let me tell you about my hard work on your behalf in just the last few months.

Some brave Roman soldiers of the Third Legion came to me a little while ago, having just returned from Caesar's glorious campaign in Britannia, and told me a shameful story. Though they had fought bravely, many of their companions had died due to the poor quality and sometimes complete lack of their armor and weapons. Tears in their eyes, these noble veterans spoke of leather straps breaking in the midst of battle, of being forced to fight with only one greave, even of decurions giving up their sandals so that the front line would not go barefoot into the swamps of Britannia. As one voice, they begged me to seek justice for them and their lost comrades, against Quartermaster Lucius Praecus, the foul embezzler who in his own selfish greed had doomed so many of the Third Legion. Seeking only the best for Roma, I took up this case and brought the evil quartermaster to court and won. I could not bring back those lost lives and limbs to our soldiers, but at least their wives and children may have some recompense, and I have made an example to warn other Quartermasters against valuing the weight of their own moneybags above the safety of the Legions."

Much cheering breaks out at this point, even among Thrax's soldier crowd.
Marcus mutters to Llyr, "Well, it can't have been that difficult. I mean, all Quartermasters are corrupt." Cornelia, meanwhile, resolves to ask her Uncle Drusus, the head Quartermaster of all of Britannia, about this Praecus.

Once the applause has died down, Publicola begins his oration again. "More recently, I dealt with a danger to us all right here in the center of our glorious city of Roma. A madman, a crazed, heretical Sicilian man, probably a foul sorcerer, set off a catastrophic explosion on the Via Ferra. Many of you may remember the enormous ring of thunder and the sudden flash of fire there a few days ago. Not content with destroying the contents of his own putrid lair, this madman in his explosion badly damaged several other neighboring smithies, owned by respectable, upright Roman citizens. On behalf of these good craftsmen, I took the insane experimenter to trial and forced him to recompense them for their damages and suffering. Perhaps in the future we can enforce a more orderly, lawful society, where such ruffians cannot wantonly destroy the property of honest working craftsmen like many of you."

There is less applause here, but the working men do seem quite impressed, and Heilyn, of course, begins glaring at the young advocate. Publicola finishes up with a few rhetorical flourishes. "Do not vote for me, good citizens of Roma, out of desire to line your own pockets, or because of a handsome face. A vote for Gnaeus Tertius Publicola is a vote for Justice, for Order, and for all that makes Roma the greatest city in the history of the world!"

Several women swoon as Publicola extends his arms to the crowd, and even our group finds his words eloquent and persuasive. "This is clearly not going to be an easy field to win," Metellus thinks glumly.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta X: A Civil Campaign Chp. 5: The Noble

A handsome but pale young man, not particularly well-muscled, dressed in an old-fashioned white toga, next takes the rostra. Cornelia and Meloch determine that he has no magic on him, while Heilyn senses something a little odd, but can't figure out what. Lucretius, meanwhile, is somewhat confused. This speaker is extremely devout, particularly with regard to the household gods and the traditional three greatest gods of Roma - Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva. However, he bears absolutely no trace of devotion to the Imperial cult - not even the traces present on Heilyn from his attendance at the household rites of Metellus' family. This is a bit unorthodox, to say the least, for an elite Roman man.

"My name," the young man begins, "is Lucius Fabius Maximus. My ancestors helped found Roma - they sat in the first Senate. My ancestor Fabius Maximus the Delayer held off Hannibal's Carthaginian hordes for more than a decade. The Fabii Maximii have always served Roma, and today I come before you to ask for the chance to serve her again."

"Is that true?" Llyr whispers to Metellus.

"Yes," Metellus murmurs back. "He comes from one of the only families more distinguished than mine."

"Some of you may think that my heretofore undistinguished career hurts my ability to serve as a judge. And I admit, good people of Roma, that in the past I have not devoted as much time as I ought to public affairs."

"Just private ones!" a heckler shouts. Cornelia resolves to find out all she can about Maximus' apparently sordid past.

Maximus resolutely ignores him. "But the time has come for me to acknowledge my responsibilities and duties, according to my family tradition, and to give this great city all that I can. I shall continue in the great line of the Fabii Maximii, protecting, upholding, and strengthening the greatest city of the world! Thank you, good citizens, for your vote."

The applause is much less enthusiastic, but Metellus and Cornelia note some of the older Senators in the crowd nodding thoughtfully and clapping politely. One of them says to another, "Well, he is a Fabius Maximus, after all."

Metellus takes a deep breath, and crosses to the rostra for his first public speech.

Fimmtiu

First Post
Ahh, politics. How did you adjudicate Metellus' speech, as a DM? Any skills or checks involved, or did you just make the player orate and grade how he did?

GreenArmadillo

First Post
Fimmtiu said:
Ahh, politics. How did you adjudicate Metellus' speech, as a DM? Any skills or checks involved, or did you just make the player orate and grade how he did?

I couldn't find the post in question on a quick skim this thread but I seem to recall that Orichalcum, unbeknownst to Metellus' player, actually had the other players take on roles of lawyers, witnesses, etc and act out the trial sequence that he judged a few pages back. The fact that one of the characters from that incident has reappeared makes me wonder if the players didn't have an outright speaking competition.... :)

gerg_861

First Post
Great story hour

I have just finished reading through this story hour and I really enjoyed it! I've always been a Roman history buff and it has been a delight not to run up against any jarring inaccuracies. Now what I'm really curious about is: Why does Lucretius seem to actually be a Lucretia?

Meloch the Pygmy

First Post
So? Metellus' speech?

Fine, Chalky, I know you've got a new house, new job, new dog. Doubtless taking up much of your time. But I want to hear the Tale of Toga-gate!

A petulant and demanding pygmy

Last edited:

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta X: A Civil Campaign Chp. 6: Metellus and the Rich Man

Sorry for the long hiatus - as Meloch mentioned, I've been moving to Chicago, starting work as an Asst. Professor, and getting an adorable golden retriever puppy named Eowyn. Also, I successfully defended my dissertation on Roman prostitutes.

For Metellus's speech, I carried out my general practice of having Metellus make an appropriate skill check, in this case Perform: Oratory, and then modifying it based on the player's actual speech. I had a detailed chart measuring the number of votes and popularity of each candidate, modified by events, as you'll begin to see. I played the other candidates, though, not the PCs, due to firewalling issues.

Metellus takes a deep breath and looks out at the vaguely curious faces of the crowd, as well as the supportive glances of his friends and clients.

"My name is Quintus Caecilius Metellus, son of Quintus Caecilius Metellus the Senator and commander. My family has also served Roma for many generations. But I stand here before you as a man who has served Roma in my own right. Two years ago, I went to Britannia to serve in the 6th Legion as a Tribune. While there, I led a mission into deepest barbarian Caledonia to rescue the lost Eagle of the Ninth Legion and return her to Roma's hands. When war broke out with Caledonia, my companions and I negotiated a truce with the tribe of the Iceni and defeated the Chief Druid of all Britannia in single combat. Since returning to Roma, I have organized Cimbrus Caesar's triumph, risking my life in the process to directly defend him from attack by foul witches, as many of you may remember. I have also averted numerous other dire threats to the imperial family."

Meloch hears a whisper in the crowd at this point, "Is that what they call it these days? Isn't he the fellow who was screwing Caesar's wife back in Britannia?"

Metellus continues, "My entire life has been dedicated to the service of Roma. I ask now for the chance to aid her not only in war but in justice, to bring order and law to the chaotic streets of Roma and protect all of you from criminals who would threaten the welfare of our city. Please choose me as a Judge of the City for the next year, and I swear that I will uphold the rights of Roman citizens and keep you all safe in times to come."

Metellus is met with mixed but relatively enthusiastic applause - more than Fabius Maximus, less than the stunningly eloquent Publicola or the military hero Thrax. Marcus and Heilyn notice a few of the older Senators and knights commenting quietly to each other, "Well, his father's a good man, and he's from good stock. Young, but definitely promising."

The last candidate, a quite plump, richly dressed man in a gleaming white toga ornamented by a golden necklace and bright red leather boots, climbs up to the rostra. The last round of detection spells go off, revealing a man without any magic on him, particularly devoted to Mercury, Venus, and Hercules, as well as the usual signs of worship for the Imperial family, the other Olympians, and his household gods.

"My fellow Roman countrymen," he booms, "You've all heard enough long winding speeches by now about past deeds. You all know me - I'm Gaius Livurnius Otho. I've been a commissioner of the mint and a commissioner of buildings for you; I've helped organize the festivals - I have years of experience helping to govern this great city of ours, and now I want to be your judge. But let's not talk about the past anymore; let's focus on the present. And in the present is an enormous feast at my house, awaiting all of you good citizens. Mussels, oysters, fresh suckling pig, even stuffed peacock, and good Chian wine. So why waste time with words when we can all more profitably be enjoying ourselves? Follow me, my good fellows!"

Otho leaps off the rostra, scattering a few small coins with his hand as he does so, and strides off towards the Esquiline hill, tossing coins behind him as he does so. Almost the entire crowd, except for a few of the older, wealthier men, streams behind him gleefully. "Free food!" one man shouts. "Now that's the sort of talk I like to hear!" I briefly consider chasing after him as well, but Meloch grabs my tail and instructs me to stay put.

Metellus and his companions are left with the other three candidates, in a suddenly empty and silent Forum, looking sheepishly at each other.

Orichalcum

First Post
gerg_861 said:
I have just finished reading through this story hour and I really enjoyed it! I've always been a Roman history buff and it has been a delight not to run up against any jarring inaccuracies. Now what I'm really curious about is: Why does Lucretius seem to actually be a Lucretia?

Yes, well, the PCs are still rather wondering about that question themselves... As a professional Roman historian, it's a great deal of fun to play with an alternate version of history - true in the general lifestyle details, although taking a sharp turn from actual historical events around 60 CE or so.

I'm hoping to start up a spinoff campaign soon in the Chicago area based in the Eastern Mediterranean - Alea Parthia, where the timeline changes will have somewhat more dramatic effect. For instance, the Second Temple in Jerusalem was never destroyed in Alea's timeline, which had a variety of interesting ramifications.

Fimmtiu

First Post
Orichalcum said:
Sorry for the long hiatus - as Meloch mentioned, I've been moving to Chicago, starting work as an Asst. Professor, and getting an adorable golden retriever puppy named Eowyn. Also, I successfully defended my dissertation on Roman prostitutes.

Thanks for the update! It'll be fun to see where they go from here -- I'm guessing it's not to Otho's feast. And... congratulations, Doctor. :D

Remove ads