D&D 5E Alertness & initative Query

Noctem

Explorer
A problem that DMs create for themselves if they try to strike at the PCs before rolling initiative, is that the players are not (yet) bound by combat turns. They can do anything they like by way of a response, including thwarting the attack or obviating the situation entirely.

DM: Suddenly, a monster crashes through the floor and bites you. Take 24 damage.
Player1: We kill the monsters and take all their stuff, heal up and move on.
Player2: We are travelling at fast pace. What's round the next corner?
DM: Hold on ...

Surprising the players as a dramatic effect can be fun for everyone. 'Surprise', as applied to PCs, has no effect whatever except in the first round of combat. And until combat is declared and initiative is rolled, there are no rounds. Outside of combat, the players are not limited to taking actions in turns. And monsters do not get turns either. They can't take the actions listed in their stat blocks. They can't take attack actions. They can't roll to hit. They can't inflict damage.

That's how it is in 5e. If you want your monsters to hurt the PCs, you have to declare combat first.

If you really want to play evil DMs, use traps.

I disagree with most of what you said and the example you gave is just silly.

If there's that much of a rift between the DM and the player's understanding of how the game works then a monster crashing through the floor and dealing damage is the least of your problems. Again, player buy-in is important in pretty much every aspect when playing a cooperative game. Again, though this is basically what happens everytime there's discussion, knee jerk reactions and extravagant exaggerations given as examples of why it's wrongfunbad. Nevertheless, the houserule as implemented in my home game works.

I think the easiest solution is to have player buy in. I don't just force players to follow houserules. I present it to them, explain why I would like to use it and then we vote on them as a group. Now to address some of the posts:

We do understand, we just don't like the multiple problems that this can create, or at least that's how it is in my case. I don't see value in creating problems or confusion by following the rules when I can just have a simple houserule which solves all of them.

What's this about a creature you can see and are talking to obtaining surprise?

Its decision to attack is what triggers initiative. At that point (before the attack is resolved - this happens on the monsters turn) you also determine surprise - and you're aware of the Monster so there is no surprise.

Your houserule creates the awful scenario where a wary character with sword drawn has to sit there and get smacked in the face by a monster he is fully aware of before getting a chance to react. All on account of the DM declaring an attack first. Heck the monster may even surprise him! That's madness to me. I would sure as hell be the first to scream 'I attack!' In your games to make myself immune to surprise and grant myself a free 'turn 0' before combat.

What 'problem' are your houserules on surprise, combat and initiative trying to adress?

BoldItalic

First Post
I really don't think there's a need to post this kind of stuff. I'm not playing gotcha with the players, this is not a one-sided houserule, it's voted on by everyone playing. This kind of post though does nothing to continue the discussion in a positive tone so I would ask that you knock it off.

[MENTION=6801315]Noctem[/MENTION] Your hostility is noted. I know you hate me, but I forgive you.

My post was not directed a you. I was offering a possible answer, in general terms, to a question raised by the post I quoted. If you feel that the generalisation does not apply to you, then that's okay. But your knee-jerk hostility to the very idea is unworthy.

You are perfectly free to adopt a houserule in your games, and if you feel that it solves more problems with your style of play than it creates, then good for you. But there are those posting in this thread who do see the need for a houserule to address the situation posed by the OP, and I am one of them. I believe I am at liberty to say so here, am I not? Or do you believe that your version of D&D is the only true way and all opinions to the contrary are to be stifled? Because that is the way that your post comes over.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Its decision to attack is what triggers initiative. At that point (before the attack is resolved - this happens on the monsters turn) you also determine surprise - and you're aware of the Monster so there is no surprise.

Your houserule creates the awful scenario where a wary character with sword drawn has to sit there and get smacked in the face by a monster he is fully aware of before getting a chance to react. All on account of the DM declaring an attack first. Heck the monster may even surprise him! That's madness to me. I would sure as hell be the first to scream 'I attack!' In your games to make myself immune to surprise and grant myself a free 'turn 0' before combat.

What 'problem' are your houserules on surprise, combat and initiative trying to adress?

I'm with you. I'm not understanding the problem he is trying to avoid.

Noctem

Explorer

As stated before, that is one way to do it sure. But then you run into multiple potential problems that I dislike having to deal with, especially when dealing with them also includes solutions that are houserules anyway. So why not just have 1 houserule that solves the whole thing from the start?

Also, if the party is aware of the monster as a threat, why aren't they already in combat? This whole discussion (from what I understand) is about surprise and how the game functions when you're not aware of a threat and an act would begin combat. My houserule resolves that act (whatever it may be) before initiative and surprise is assigned so that everyone understands what's going on.

Incorrect. You don't understand how the houserule functions, which is why you're arriving at this conclusion. And it's not on account of me declaring an attack first. The discussion again is about surprise, either for the players or for the NPC's and how the transition goes into combat. I prefer to resolve the event first and then roll initiative and so on. I wish you would ask questions instead of having a knee jerk reaction and calling it madness. You don't even understand how it functions in practice... It's not a full turn, it's 1 attack (if that is what prompts combat). You screaming I attack is fine if that's what you want to do. However, the rest of the group might not enjoy having someone attack everything that moves at all times. Also, again, we're talking about being unaware of a threat and surprise. Specifically how that then translates into combat. You keep posting things like this which doesn't make sense within that context. Less knee jerk reaction, more reading please.

The houserule is only related to surprise and the transition from the triggering event into initiative. The houserule doesn't change anything else. Some of the problems off hand would be:

1. Initiative being called for no discernible reason as far as the players are concerned. (breaks immersion, spoils events for the players themselves, causes confusion, etc..)

2. Players being told they are surprised during round 1 for no reason they understand (or in fact no mechanical reason) because the person initiating combat (for example), in other words causing the surprise, has not yet acted or had a turn. (players questioning what's happening, confusion, having to tell them they can't do anything until the triggering creature has had a turn, assigning surprise for no actual reason since nothing has happened, etc..)

3. Players being told they can't do anything until the person causing surprise has acted. (losing any relevant effects within round 1, potentially ruining the plans of the party, skipping initiative down to the triggering creature, removing options from the players, etc..)

4. Narrative issues because the person initiating combat might be required to perform certain actions for story purposes, which gets you into simply giving the NPC / PC the first position in the initiative. (story line events can be disrupted, PC plans disrupted,

I mean this is just off-hand, I rule from scenario to scenario. An example scenario would be:

The party is moving on a trail in the woods, they enter the kill zone of a goblin ambush without noticing the goblins since they are hidden (either passive or active perception failed to beat stealth). The goblin leader then fires an arrow at one of the PC's to initiate the attack (or yells out in goblin, or whatever prompts combat. Could be many things, such as triggering a trap. But let's say for the sake of the example it's an attack.) I would resolve the attack first, then determine who hadn't noticed the goblins before the triggering event (the attack) to apply surprise as appropriate, and finally I would have everyone roll initiative and start at the top of the initiative order.

Note of course that the reverse is also true in the case of the party lying in ambush. They would get to plan out their ambush, decide who would trigger combat via an attack, yell, triggering a trap or whatever else and then continue from there per the RAW.

So what happens if we go by the RAW only? First, if the triggering event is a goblin triggering a trap / making an attack that would meet your hostile intent requirement so you would roll initiative before that happens. That means that if the goblin triggering the trap / making an attack is low on the initiative order. The party is presumably surprised for no reason they understand since nothing has happened. The trap / attack that was the "hostile intent" and the "triggering event" doesn't actually follow the narrative. If it's a yell then the problems aren't really present since you can yell outside of combat. For me, telling people "ok roll initiative" is less fun and interesting as narrating the event, "an arrow flies out of the bushes at you", and then asking for initiative from the party. At least that way the players start immediately talking about what the plan is vs "why are we rolling initiative?", "why are we surprised?", "Why don't I get to play my turn?", etc..

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The houserule is only related to surprise and the transition from the triggering event into initiative. The houserule doesn't change anything else. Some of the problems off hand would be:

1. Initiative being called for no discernible reason as far as the players are concerned. (breaks immersion, spoils events for the players themselves, causes confusion, etc..)

2. Players being told they are surprised during round 1 for no reason they understand (or in fact no mechanical reason) because the person initiating combat (for example), in other words causing the surprise, has not yet acted or had a turn. (players questioning what's happening, confusion, having to tell them they can't do anything until the triggering creature has had a turn, assigning surprise for no actual reason since nothing has happened, etc..)

3. Players being told they can't do anything until the person causing surprise has acted. (losing any relevant effects within round 1, potentially ruining the plans of the party, skipping initiative down to the triggering creature, removing options from the players, etc..)

4. Narrative issues because the person initiating combat might be required to perform certain actions for story purposes, which gets you into simply giving the NPC / PC the first position in the initiative. (story line events can be disrupted, PC plans disrupted,

I mean this is just off-hand, I rule from scenario to scenario. An example scenario would be:

The party is moving on a trail in the woods, they enter the kill zone of a goblin ambush without noticing the goblins since they are hidden (either passive or active perception failed to beat stealth). The goblin leader then fires an arrow at one of the PC's to initiate the attack (or yells out in goblin, or whatever prompts combat. Could be many things, such as triggering a trap. But let's say for the sake of the example it's an attack.) I would resolve the attack first, then determine who hadn't noticed the goblins before the triggering event (the attack) to apply surprise as appropriate, and finally I would have everyone roll initiative and start at the top of the initiative order.

Note of course that the reverse is also true in the case of the party lying in ambush. They would get to plan out their ambush, decide who would trigger combat via an attack, yell, triggering a trap or whatever else and then continue from there per the RAW.

So what happens if we go by the RAW only? First, if the triggering event is a goblin triggering a trap / making an attack that would meet your hostile intent requirement so you would roll initiative before that happens. That means that if the goblin triggering the trap / making an attack is low on the initiative order. The party is presumably surprised for no reason they understand since nothing has happened. The trap / attack that was the "hostile intent" and the "triggering event" doesn't actually follow the narrative. If it's a yell then the problems aren't really present since you can yell outside of combat. For me, telling people "ok roll initiative" is less fun and interesting as narrating the event, "an arrow flies out of the bushes at you", and then asking for initiative from the party. At least that way the players start immediately talking about what the plan is vs "why are we rolling initiative?", "why are we surprised?", "Why don't I get to play my turn?", etc..

1a. If the players were used to a system where initiative is called for no apparent reason they would understand it means their PC's are about to be surprised. The only confusion is derived from initially doing it differently than you have always done it.

1b. I have no idea how calling for initiative in this way breaks immersion when done in this order any more than calling for initiative breaks immersion in general. Maybe you can elaborate?

1c. I have no idea how calling for initiative in this way spoils events for the players themselves any more than calling for initiative in your normal way. Maybe you can elaborate?

2. Players will know the reason they are surprised. Players are smart they can deduce what's happening. The moment you call for initiative under my rules and there is nothing apparent present the players will go "aww crap!" because they know they are surprised then and there.

2b. Surprise is a mechanical effect that causes the loss of your first turn. If what causes initiative to be rolled is a creatures intention to soon attack a PC then the players will understand that and there will be no confusion, no questioning what's happening, no wondering why they cannot act yet.

2c. I do understand the desire to tie a totally physical in game activity to surprise. Something that is tangible that the players can see is what prevents them from having their PC's take actions. In my scenario surprise is simply a mechanic being used that doesn't tie into the story. In yours surprise is being used as a defacto, something happened you weren't expecting and so you react a little slower (this is what causes the loss of the first turns actions).

I don't think I need to go any further. I understand your problem with it now! Thank you.

BoldItalic

First Post
It's so simple. You tell the players about the threat first. Then the players know what is going on, even if their characters don't.

DM: TWANG! Some goblins hidden in the trees are about to ambush you. You haven't spotted them and you don't know how many there are. The first thing you are aware of, is the twang of an arrow as a goblin darts out from behind a tree and starts shooting. Please roll for initiative. The cleric is not surprised because he has the alert feat, but everyone else is going to be.

See? Vanilla 5e, no house rules necessary. It's all honest and above board, and the DM is not trying to wrong-foot the players. The goblins might be trying to wrong-foot the PCs in-game, but OOC, the DM is playing fair.

If the DM were to say, for no apparent reason, "As you move through the wood you are suddenly hit by arrows, take 4 damage each." then that is a gotcha. It makes no difference if combat is subsequently started - it was already a gotcha. Such a DM might reasonably be said to be vindictive.

Last edited:

Noctem

Explorer
1a. Agree to disagree, I've had experienced people comment that the default RAW is not a good system. My houserule is based on this feedback.

1b. Because you go from "We're walking down a trail in the woods trying to find plot point X to ok roll initiative out of nowhere for no reason. It broke immersion for the players I played with and it does for me. So based on that feedback I implemented the houserule.

1c. Example: The advisor for the story is about the betray his king by killing him in front of a crowd of people in order to attempt to usurp the throne. The party has no idea this is about to happen. They are participating at a banquet which was set up as a thank you for stopping a band of marauders (secretly working for the advisor). Saying "Ok roll initiative" in the middle of the banquet for no reason: Breaks immersion for the players, ruins the surprise of the event for the players, gives away that not all is as it seems, causes confusion, etc.. I would much rather narrate that out of nowhere the Advisor stabs the king. Then have initiative rolled, assign surprise, etc.. The players are then going holy :):):):) what the hell is that guy doing?! They are surprised, just like their characters.

2. How could they know what's going on if I, as the DM / window into the game world / narrator, has failed to provide any context or information for what is going on?

2b. How do they know the intent of creatures around them in the game world when you as the DM don't / can't tell them? Are they playing psychic characters?

2c. I see it the other way around. Since I provide context and reason behind the surprise and you do not prior to engaging into combat.

C'est la vie, happy gaming.

Noctem

Explorer
It's so simple. You tell the players about the threat first. Then the players know what is going on, even if their characters don't.

DM: TWANG! Some goblins hidden in the trees are about to ambush you. You haven't spotted them and you don't know how many there are. The first thing you are aware of, is the twang of an arrow as a goblin darts out from behind a tree and starts shooting. Please roll for initiative. The cleric is not surprised because he has the alert feat, but everyone else is going to be.

See? Vanilla 5e, no house rules necessary. It's all honest and above board, and the DM is not trying to wrong-foot the players. The goblins might be trying to wrong-foot the PCs in-game, but OOC, the DM is playing fair.

If the DM were to say, for no apparent reason, "As you move through the wood you are suddenly hit by arrows, take 4 damage each." then that is a gotcha. It makes no difference if combat is subsequently started - it was already a gotcha. Such a DM might reasonably be said to be vindictive.

If you can't help but try to make me out to be a bad DM with your posts, when you clearly don't understand what you're talking about, then please just refrain from posting. There is no gotcha going on. The players are aware of the houserule, they voted to have it in during session 0 or they voted against it. The only difference here is one (1) single attack (if an attack is even what prompts combat). You have no idea what you're talking about. And now I'm not only DM'ing in a wrongfunbad way, but I'm also vindictive? lmao. Man, keep your nonsense to yourself!

BoldItalic

First Post
If you can't help but try to make me out to be a bad DM with your posts, when you clearly don't understand what you're talking about, then please just refrain from posting. There is no gotcha going on. The players are aware of the houserule, they voted to have it in during session 0 or they voted against it. The only difference here is one (1) single attack (if an attack is even what prompts combat). You have no idea what you're talking about. And now I'm not only DM'ing in a wrongfunbad way, but I'm also vindictive? lmao. Man, keep your nonsense to yourself!

Why do you assume I'm talking about you? I wasn't. They weren't your goblins. They were my goblins.

Again, you ask me to stop posting my views. If you find them uncomfortable, if you imagine (wrongly) that I am insulting you personally, stop reading my posts. Hit the ignore button. I don't mind. My views on 5e are my own and it makes no difference to me whether you, personally, read them or not. They are not directed at you specifically, they are just cast into the internet for anyone to read, agree with, disagree with or totally ignore. Just like everyone else's.

Last edited:

Remove ads